Do I need to buy a HRM or Body Media band?

Options
New to this and I know very little about the HRM or Body Media bands. I'm committed to a great exercise plan, but it seems like logging that in to MFP is pretty inaccurate. It gives me tons of calories burned for some things that don't seem that hard, and very little for others. Should I bite the bullet and buy some type of an exercise monitor? If so, what kind should I buy and how do they work? I've looked a little online, but I'm still confused. I do have an iPhone and it looked like some devices can sync with iPhones. Help!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A lot of us find them very helpful. I have a BMF and I like how I can tailor my eating to my calorie burn.
  • tennisalley
    tennisalley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks. A BMF is a Body Media band, right? I'm so confused. I've been sitting at the computer for way too long trying to figure this all out.

I'm not crazy about wearing an armband or even a watch with a chest strap. The Fitbit looks great, but I can't for the life of me figure out how something like that would know how many calories I'm burning. I feel like I need something more than manually entering my exercise, but if I'm going to pay for something, I want it to work and I don't want it to drive me crazy. Thanks for the reply! The Body Media bands seem like the best way to go, but I'm not sure if I can handle an arm band.
  • tennisalley
    Options
    By the way, my exercise is tennis, gym (treadmill/weight machines/elliptical/etc.), walking, biking, swimming. Is there any particular gadget that works best for all different things. How does it tell the difference between walking and bicep curls?
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm a short ways away from 40lbs lost and don't use a HRM of any kind.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think a heartrate monitor will do anything for weight-training work. It's more meant for monitoring cardio, right?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Looks like i got here to late.

*Shakes head. Backs out of thread*
  • auphelia
    Options
    My HRM vs MFP calorie count has actually been pretty close. It's only been off by 10 max. But that's just my experience with cardio so far.
  • tennisalley
    Options
    Why do you say that? I'd love your input!
  • tennisalley
    Options
    Okay--I also don't know how to use these boards--that question was for the person who says he got here too late.
  • joannaorgovan
    joannaorgovan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for weight lifting and I burn more than double what MFP gives me. Depending on what I'm doing, my heart rate goes through the roof. I super set with little to no breaks.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM when I ever I do cardio and love it.. Cardio is the only I track.. The HRM inspires me to burn more calories. I don't mind the chest band because I don't wear it for more than an hour at a time.
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    yeah, I've lost 43lbs..no hrm...but I do use the sports-tracker app on my phone
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin HRM and use it for all cardio, it is more accurate than MFP general calorie count. i swear by it.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think at the age of 51 it's good for you to know what your heart rate is doing during cardio. The general rule of thumb for your maximum heart rate is206 minus 88% of your age for women. I can tell you some cardio gets me up to or close to my max heart rate. A heart rate monitor can help you stay in a particular (safe) zone or targeted training zone. Especially when you're just getting started. I have fairly good cardiovascular health and I still find sometimes I push a bit too hard and need to pace myself better.
  • lirr10185
    lirr10185 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I finally broke down, bought one, and absolutely love it! MFP gives you a great estimation but it is not always accurate. Turned out I was not burning as many calories as I thought. Since I have gotten it I have seen better results. I got mine at big 5, someone can help you find one that fits you best.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I agree with the above commenter, lirr10185. I found I was going nowhere. For example, MFP would tell me that after my 50 minute run, that I had burned something like 586 calories. It was infact about 450. Right there is a 25% discrepancy. Or for walking it was way out too, but in the opposite direction.

I think you might find that if your progress stalls, it would be worth looking into something like that. In the meantime, do a little bit of research and see what works for you. I don't find the watch or chest strap annoying. I barely notice it if at all .
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've had some kind of Polar HRM for years. In December 2011, I was given a Fitbit, which is similar to a Body Media band.

A heart rate monitor is helpful for people who engage in extended, vigorous cardio activity. It tells them how hard they're working, what is a normal rate for them, and how quickly they recover after slowing down on stopping exercise. It's an excellent tool for High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

A Fitbit is an electronic pedometer that is worn 24/7. It provides info about steps taken, floors climbed, and so forth. It's a fun gadget, especially for someone who is not a consistent exerciser but who wants to meet a minimum level of activity, usually 10,000 steps a day.

I think it's a waste of time to pay any attention to the calorie burn estimates provided by machines and devices. They are based on assumptions that may not apply to you. The only accurate way to find out how many calories you burn during exercise is to get tested.

It's better to concentrate on diet, which is most of weight loss,and get in as much vigorous exercise as possible. If you consistently create a calorie deficit and work out, you should lose weight in time.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've lost just under 50lbs, without an hrm, but I just ordered one the other day. I'm actually pretty excited about it! Most of the reviews I've read are wonderful, so here's hoping for something good :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    By the way, my exercise is tennis, gym (treadmill/weight machines/elliptical/etc.), walking, biking, swimming. Is there any particular gadget that works best for all different things. How does it tell the difference between walking and bicep curls?

No, there is no one device that is going to magically differentiate between walking and bicep curls, as well calculate the calorie burn for a woman your age, height, weight, and body composition with 100% accuracy. You have to treat these gadgets as guides, and focus on calorie reduction in your diet.

Don't get me wrong -- they're fun toys that provide helpful feedback -- but their technology is not as sophisticated as some people think.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I keep meaning to buy a HRM or something similar, but can't decide on what to buy. I'm interested to hear everyone's experience with them.