Cold weather and aches

Options
I'm in the Twin Cities and it's been COLD the past couple of days (today, the high was -5 even though it felt like -35 with the wind chill).

Does anybody else who lives in the northern US (and maybe Canada) have to deal with aches when it gets this cold outside?

Replies

• lag4908
    lag4908 Posts: 11
    Options
    I live in PA---it's snowing right now :/ I get really bad headaches when I workout & it's chilly- so weird! It's a PAIN to drag myself to the gym when it's freezing, but then I imagine myself in April and the weather is beautiful and I want to go workout in a cute tank top and look skinny! So hard to get into the mind frame that what I do today and tomorrow will only show in a couple months but hey it's better than being miserable and feeling helpess. I finally feel in control of my body!
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I live in PA---it's snowing right now :/ I get really bad headaches when I workout & it's chilly- so weird! It's a PAIN to drag myself to the gym when it's freezing, but then I imagine myself in April and the weather is beautiful and I want to go workout in a cute tank top and look skinny! So hard to get into the mind frame that what I do today and tomorrow will only show in a couple months but hey it's better than being miserable and feeling helpess. I finally feel in control of my body!

I don't get the headaches. I get aches in my left thigh and rib cage. I think the healed fractures I've had in those spots may have something to do with this. I have been good at getting to the gym, lately. Today, I just couldn't go because of the aches bothering me. I know that to keep moving helps, but today it wasn't.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I live in Ontario and it's pretty cold here. I have fireplaces in my house as well as a heating system and my body aches....I've been soaking my feet in hot water and that makes me feel better. The temperature outside is supposed to drop a lot more this week. . I can't face walking outside....don't want to wear a balaklava to protect my face. Can't wait for spring!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    -5 is pretty darn cold. I w/o outside year round. Luvvvv the 20 degree days. My hiking club meets every Saturday regardless of any weather. We've hiked at zero. It's not impossible at all. Driving to a heated gym could present it's hardships I'm sure, lol...
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Columbus Ohio, 7 degrees today and snowing. I have arthritis and the cold is not her friend. I must tell you tho stretching has really helped.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    YEah, it's about that temperature here in Montreal today. (-18C) I do find that my arthritis aches more when it's like this.
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live in the Twin Cities also and I didn't even want to go outside today (but still managed to go to the grocery store)! Soooo cold today. Luckily, I don't experience the aches associated with cold weather (at least not yet, knock on wood!)
  • ser0630
    Options
    -5 is pretty darn cold. I w/o outside year round. Luvvvv the 20 degree days. My hiking club meets every Saturday regardless of any weather. We've hiked at zero. It's not impossible at all. Driving to a heated gym could present it's hardships I'm sure, lol...

I bring my gym bag with me and I go to the gym right after work. I even brought it in with me to work so my work out clothes wouldn't be cold from sitting in my truck all day. Today, I just didn't feel like going. I used to run outside and play hockey, but I haven't been able to do that in 8 and a half years.
  • ser0630
    Options
    I live in the Twin Cities also and I didn't even want to go outside today (but still managed to go to the grocery store)! Soooo cold today. Luckily, I don't experience the aches associated with cold weather (at least not yet, knock on wood!)

I know it's been colder than this here before, but it's never really bothered me until this year. I wished I could have worked from home today so I didn't have to leave the house.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm in the Twin Cities too and I definitely felt the aches today. I have bad knees and they were the sorest part of me today. Sometimes I'll put a light knee brace on when it's really cold, not because of pain but just to help keep them warm. I also have some neck pain near a degenerative disc when it's this cold (and fingers and wrists ...). This seems to get worse every year so I'm afraid it's an age thing. : (

And it's supposed to be cold all week, isn't it? Ugh, this is brutal!
  • ser0630
    Options
    Yep, I'm in the Twin Cities too and I definitely felt the aches today. I have bad knees and they were the sorest part of me today. Sometimes I'll put a light knee brace on when it's really cold, not because of pain but just to help keep them warm. I also have some neck pain near a degenerative disc when it's this cold (and fingers and wrists ...). This seems to get worse every year so I'm afraid it's an age thing. : (

And it's supposed to be cold all week, isn't it? Ugh, this is brutal!

This winter has been the worst for me because of this. It's supposed to "warm up" some, but then the cold is supposed to be back later next week.

I've been feeling it basically from my left shoulder down to my left knee. I'm surprised I haven't had pain in my right knee because that's bad, too.