Need to Vent !!!

Options
So I have been doing really well walking about 2 to 3 miles each weekday on my treadmill. Was feeling pretty good getting my excercise in. Over the weekend we bought an elliptical machine. Today I was all pumped up to get on and go.. After the first 10 minute interval i was dying! Couldn't make it any further. It totally got the best of me and kicked my @ss! Just really bummed out... Hrmph!

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Haha; I know what you mean! I think I lasted about 5 minutes my first time on the elliptical. Now I know I can do 45, probably more, but I haven't tried. Your muscles will catch on and toughen up.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow you will go a little farther, and the day after that a little more and so on..you will soon be going 30 minutes or more...you can do this and YEAH for you, you got on that machine and tried.
  • Mamax143
    Options
    Don't feel frustrated, work your way up last year I could only manage to stay on 15 minutes, I can now do a full 45 and still feel like death after a half hour, push yourself but not too hard. Do what is comfortable for you. Something is better than nothing! My legs ache all the time, no pain no gain!! Best wishes
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I can go for a while on the treadmill. The elliptical has me dying in about five minutes. Gasping and wheezing. I don't know why. Another friend of mine also has this problem. You are not alone.
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's because you are being challenge now, honey. The treadmill is a good workout and you became efficient at it but your body also became accustomed to it and now you probably need to up the challenge to your body to get better results. That's why cross training is such a great way to work out. Do you still have the treadmill? Do a mile and a half on the treadmill then switch to the elliptical for 5 then finish with your treadmill. Increase your elliptical as you start getting comfortable. You are bumping up your metaolism and burning killer aerobic points. Good for you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I started out barely being able to do 10 min. Now I can do 30 at a Level 8 Workout Resistance. Just keep at it!
  • Reyder92
    Options
    You are doing great. If possible try your walking on a path/parkway or trail of some type.The natural change in terrain will help you physically and increase your cardio workout. Treadmills usually challenge the body in a more stagnant way. I can understand your frustration, just don't be discouraged.
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The elliptical kicks my butt too, but I was on it again today and managed about 10 mins, then did some other exercises, then jumped back on the elliptical as much longer as I could manage. It'll take time but I'll defeat it and I know you will too - don't give up!!
  • ValenciaQuayJ
    Options
    Good Job Kathy. Give yourself a pat on thr back for not only exercising but for buying a elliptical. Some people including myself have been blessed to have enough income to buy one and have not, I have choosen to spend my money on trips and shoes, a bunch of stuff that I don't need that have nothing to do with health. Be proud of those 10 min, Try again tomorrow and I'm sure you will do better! Good Luck bigsmile:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Many of us have been there. I worked my way up from 10 minutes on an elliptical to running a half marathon. Running is now fun though it took a couple of years. Just keep at it and enjoy the little things along the way.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You'll work up to it. Ellipticals are totally different from treadmills and it means that you will be working harder and burning more calories. :] Don't give up!
  • Kathy168
    Kathy168 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging words. Yes I will tackle it again tonight... hoping for 11 or 12 minutes :)
    I don't want to give up and I wont let it defeat me!!!