Too Much Protein?

Options
I can't seem to get a consensus online as to whether or not too much protein is bad. Without even trying, I am eating 70 grams of protein a day. I am NOT trying to do this. You can see my food notebook for reference. I just eat a lot of greek yogurt and grilled chicken and salmon and somehow my protein intake is out of control.

The jury seems to be out on whether or not too much is okay for you and whether or not you will actually lose weight with a high protein diet. I just like protein because it keeps me so full and I wanted to cut out everything with empty calories. So I wind up under my calorie count and way over my protien intake.

Anyone got any thoughts??

Replies

• hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not trained at all on this but just had a wellness assessment and my protein number was 99 per day. I don't think 70 is too much.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I would say that "too much protein" is not good for you....however I don't necessarily think your 70 grams a day is too much
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You're fine. While operating at a calorie deficit, it is probably impossible for you to have too much of any certain food type.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    "Normal" protein is usually considered to be 1 gram per lb of body weight. So, unless you weigh 70 lbs, I wouldn't worry too much.
    MFP seems to be a tad low on this...
  • nins11065
    nins11065 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did the Atkins diet a lost a lot of weight in a few weeks; it works to eat more protein; the trick is to be healthy and to integrate carbs and sugar slowly but surely, I am no longer in any diet as I finally realize that by tracking my food intake and eating good food . I am a carnivore and will take a stake, fish or chicken at any given time.
    Hope that helps.
    Nins
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    too much protein has been a cause for worry with subjects that have kidney or liver disease. that is the only instance where i'd consider reeling back protein intake.

there's no current evidence to suggest you can eat too much protein. However, if you eat all your calories in protein, you will not get enough of the other essential nutrient: fat.
  • MPilotz
    MPilotz Posts: 10
    Options
    as stated if in deficit you should be fine. just keep your ratios/percentages properly maintained. also excess protein can be converted into fat if not used
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I know many women on here who regularly eat 2-3 times that every day, they're fine.

You will be too.

If you get an adequate amount of protein and 'good' fats in your diet and stick to your calorie goals, you win!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i eat 100-130g of protein a day...and i'm vegetarian
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get a consensus online as to whether or not too much protein is bad. Without even trying, I am eating 70 grams of protein a day. I am NOT trying to do this. You can see my food notebook for reference. I just eat a lot of greek yogurt and grilled chicken and salmon and somehow my protein intake is out of control.

The jury seems to be out on whether or not too much is okay for you and whether or not you will actually lose weight with a high protein diet. I just like protein because it keeps me so full and I wanted to cut out everything with empty calories. So I wind up under my calorie count and way over my protien intake.

Anyone got any thoughts??

The idea that a "high protein" diet (in the context of still being hypocaloric) would not be conducive to fat loss could only be stated by people that have never achieved significant fat loss, imo. The research is pretty unambiguous - higher protein intakes are more satiating and tend to see better composition with respect to weight loss (more fat, less muscle) compared to lower protein approaches.
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i ate 182 grams of protein today and wasnt even really trying to... it helps rebuild your muscles that you break down while working out. I always thought you were supposed to eat 1 gram per pound of body weight. In my macros i have my protein set at 30 percent of my daily calories!
  • jmadamczyk
    jmadamczyk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!