BEER

Options

Replies

• songbirdtree
    Options
    So you're saying sometimes 30 light beers per week? I would guess you might lose some water weight but you're not going to burn fat unless you nourish your body and minimize junk like beer... If you're going to drink, I'd stick to something with less carbs like vodka & club soda. Yeah, it's definitely not as good as beer, but I've found if I don't like the taste of the drink as much, I tend to sip it a lot slower. Good luck!
  • juanatere
    juanatere Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with most. Go with the hard stuff and a diet soda..less calories, more bang for the buck. I mean that is what we really drink for..right? I have gin with diet 7up and account for it when I log my calories for the day. And I drink lots of water.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    DO NOT JUDGE ME.... Got it???:drinker:

But, back in college - I did like to go out and have a few beers (shocker). I also did WW, so I wanted to keep my calories low, yet get the enjoyment of a buzz while drinking...

My BF then, now husband, created me a spreadsheet (such an engineer!) that we named "Beer Bang for your Buck" - meaning, a balance of calories to % alcohol, so that I could maximize my calories.

I don't know how to attach the full sheet, but here is the top performers in the Beer Bang for your Buck. The beers listed is only a select few that a website had posted back in, my guess, 2007.

The format is really bad in this forum, but the list is in order of Score from highest to lowest for the top 10% of beers.

Brand/Brewer (Country) % Alcohol Calories/12 oz % Alcohol/ Calories per 12 oz Relative Score
    Utica Club Pilsener Lager Beer West End (USA) 4.82 95.85 0.0503 100%
    Milwaukee's Best Light 4.5 98 0.0459 91%
    Rheingold Extra Light Beer Rheingold (USA) 4.32 95.85 0.0451 90%
    Anheuser Busch Natural Light 4.2 95 0.0442 88%
    Miller Lite 4.2 96 0.0438 87%
    Aspen Edge 4.1 94 0.0436 87%
    Budweiser Select 4.3 99 0.0434 86%
    Michelob Ultra 4.1 95 0.0432 86%
    Nordik Wolf Light Imported Beer A.B. Pripps Bryggerier (Sweden) 4.7 110.05 0.0427 85%
    Thos Cooper & Sons Naturally Brewed Real Ale Cooper & Sons (Australia) 6.77 159.75 0.0424 84%
    Keystone Ice 5.9 143 0.0413 82%
    Coors Light 4.2 102 0.0412 82%
    Milwaukee's Best Ice 5.9 144 0.0410 81%
    Keystone Premium 4.4 108 0.0407 81%
    Keystone Light 4.2 104 0.0404 80%
    Leinenkugel Light 4.19 105 0.0399 79%
    Amstel Light Bier Amstel Brouwerij B.V. (Holland) 3.96 99.4 0.0398 79%
    Stroh's Light 4.4 113 0.0389 77%
    Yuengling Light 3.8 98 0.0388 77%
    Harfenrefrer Private Stock Malt Llquor Narragansett (USA) 6.87 177.5 0.0387 77%

You are a gd genius.
  • _mch_
    _mch_ Posts: 1
    Options
    I've got a similar problem, but I think it's a bit worse then anyone shared here... I LOVE beer. I'm one of those people that believes that "beer will save the World" :) I love European and craft beers. The beers I drink contain anywhere form 150 to 200 calories. I average 3-4 bottles a night. Last night I had 6... yea, I know... I had a break for a few days and suddenly went awry :) I can survive a month without a beer (done that), but I will not be a happy camper. At all.

I'm 5' 8" and my highest weight was 204lbs. Right now I'm doing only cardio - 60 minutes on elliptical trainer, daily. I'm exercising very hard, changing levels laterally up and down during the whole exercise. When I'm done, my clothing is dripping sweat, even my socks are wet. If trust the elliptical trainer (I have my doubts), I cover over 8 miles, with heart rate between 180-190 and burn 1100-1120 calories. The measurements are probably close, since my wife burns about 600 calories on the same machine, and she is super thin (takes Zumba classes). My lifestyle is pretty sedentary - work keeps me 8-14 hours in front of a computer + I drink beer pretty much every night. My diet was terrible for awhile - didn't eat breakfast, missed launches, ate something at home for dinner, drank beers, and had cookies and milk before going to bed (hello Santa!).

I've been exercising for over 2 months now. I think my metabolism is back in the norm - I eat breakfast at 7, snack (yogurt) at 10, lunch at 12 (home made), gym 4:30-5:30, dinner around 7. I feel hungry now most of the day (especially after gym), which I haven't felt in the long time. A few days ago I had my weight change in the right direction (for the first time) - the scale showed 3lbs less + I moved up 2 notches on my belt. Finally!

But I still have to tame the "beer beast" in me. I'm counting my beers toward the daily calories (keep track in the diary), but I really need to get a grip and cut down on weekly consumption. One thing I will definitely try - drink a glass of water in between. I think this should help a lot.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you want a pint, have a pint. Don't drink weird pisswater in an effort to be 'healthy'. Log it, is all and accept that some days you will go over your cals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said to cut out the light beer and go with the "real stuff". If I drink twice as much light beer as the regular beer, I end up with more than twice the calories but not more than twice the buzz. Three "real" beers and I'm as happy as a clam. 7 light beers (not that I would drink that much, because I can't - or maybe I can) just makes me have to run to the bathroom non stop, tastes like beer flavored water, does nothing for me, etc...

Try having a glass of water for every beer - you will drink less alcohol and the water will help in oh so many ways.

Yup, my brother used to down a case of the light beer at a time. I finally got him on craft beer, and he's backed way off. Quality over quantity. Had a wonderful imperial stout last night...
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Swap the 7-10 light beers for 3-5 Canadian beers and you'll be fine. :happy:

This!!!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    First...drink some quality beers and you won't need 7-10 of them. Second, if you must drink...budget the calories. Third...for the love of God drink good beer.
  • louisel809
    Options
    Beeeeeer! Ale is the best!! Inns and gunn if you can ever get it!!
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    3 letters for you IPA. You don't drink half as much cals because they are so strong and you don't really want to drink as many because they are so strong.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    BITE YOUR TONGUE FOR ASKING!

Beer has never done anything bad to anyone, buddy.

If anything, cut out a meal or two for the beer. GOSH.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer. Big beers. Beers that taste like beers. Just went to a rare beer festival this past weekend where I sampled probably 30 different beers at/above 8% ABV. 2oz pours, of course, but still.

The point is, if you MAKE room for it in your intake and remain at a calorie deficit, you're still going to lose weight. Personally, I'd rather have a nice big imperial stout all full of that malty, coffee, chocolaty, beery goodness than a generic light beer.

If I'm planning on a beer, or know I'm gonna have a few more on a given day, I'll balance it out with some extra exercise.

Ex: I have an Avery Samael in my fridge right now. It's a 12 oz bottle @ 15.4% ABV. It's in the database. I wouldn't drink that on a regular basis, but it will be had soon.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Just workout extra on the days that you drink. Then you can consume more calories. That's what I do.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    3 letters for you IPA. You don't drink half as much cals because they are so strong and you don't really want to drink as many because they are so strong.

Oh, I don't know about that - it takes effort, but I know it can be done. :drinker:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer. Big beers. Beers that taste like beers. Just went to a rare beer festival this past weekend where I sampled probably 30 different beers at/above 8% ABV. 2oz pours, of course, but still.

The point is, if you MAKE room for it in your intake and remain at a calorie deficit, you're still going to lose weight. Personally, I'd rather have a nice big imperial stout all full of that malty, coffee, chocolaty, beery goodness than a generic light beer.

If I'm planning on a beer, or know I'm gonna have a few more on a given day, I'll balance it out with some extra exercise.

Ex: I have an Avery Samael in my fridge right now. It's a 12 oz bottle @ 15.4% ABV. It's in the database. I wouldn't drink that on a regular basis, but it will had soon.

yes
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Beer is good, true story.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I know I will be drinking beer on Super Bowl Sunday. I am going to be extra good with food on Saturday and Monday and extra exercise Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to a Super Bowl party in Canada and I know there's going to be great beer there!

The point is, you don't have to give it up but you do need to cut it down. Drink the good stuff, there is so much good stuff out there. With extra exercise, fewer calories and weight loss, less beer should do the trick.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdaj005CoM1qze3dzo1_500.jpg

I say dith the light beer pi$$ and drink a couple Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Snowdrift Vanilla Porter (in season) or anything from a local brewery.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    1 word: everclear.

:)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Eat a littel more food, drink less beer, and make it GOOD beer. If you're biking tha tmuch, you'll need more than 1500 at your size.

Now I want beer.