If you work in food service....(Offensive)

Options
:grumble: I feel that by sharing this video, I'm doing a public service. If you work in food service, you need to memorize this "womans" face. Though I'm warning you, she does not have the mouth of a woman. :noway: She is a moron for posting this to youtube, now every restaraunt will have her face plastered in the kitchen.

:explode: Be warned: She is annoying and will instantly piss you off. There are many f-bombs and apparently she shows her *rear* at the end of the video. I couldn't stand to finish it. My daughter was in ear shot. You will hear kids in the background, she apparently didn't have the same concern.

OK, you've been warned and now I know you really wanna see it::blushing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6pi-9LBtxs

I tip 20% regardless of service. For good service I'll tip more. If I don't have the money for a tip, I don't go out to eat. I've worked for tips. Thats someones rent, someones grocery money, someones tuition payment.

There are 3 professions you don't mess with.
Your food servers, your dentist, and your stylist. They all have the potential to "accidently" make you very miserable:wink:
You know what I mean?:wink:

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Im going to watch the video but I have to disagree about tipping. Im a GREAT tipper, but I tip based on service. I have NEVER not tipped anyone, although I've given a lousy tip for lousy service. I find there are many servers I've encountered in the past who seem to think they do not have to make a good impression and provide a great level of service in order to EARN a tip. I worked in the service industry for years and hated every minute of it both because of the people in the industry and the *kitten* you have to deal with as guests sometimes. Now to watch the video.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've worked in the service industry since I was 16 and I was warned when I moved down south that (no offense) black people don't tip. I don't know if a lot aren't brought up that way or what but thats what I thought of when i saw the video. I don't notice too much on the day-to-day but i have been warned. haha
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Having been a server myself for the past 16 years, 1) that server should not have gone after them and said anything, that's just stupid, most places fire you for that. And 2) if he had been waiting tables for any length of time, he should have been able to tell that that trashy table wasn't going to leave him a good tip. She obviously is not the type to leave a good tip, acting all crass the way she was. A good server can read people right off, and he should have just chalked that one up as a loss. Yes, it did cost him money to wait on them (once you tip out the bartenders and busboys which would have been more than the tip they left), but sometimes them's the breaks. You take the good with the bad and learn to be able to read people so you can know who is most likely going to hook you up or leave you a bad tip.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The video itself is... interesting... but some of the replies are also funny/informative. Apparently the "new" standard is 20% based on how they tax the waitstaff's sales. Not sure how credible that fact is, seeing as it comes from a waiter's post, but interesting anyways. I usually tip 20% for good service, but I agree that lousy service deserves less tip (usually I don't go below 15%... I mean, everyone has those days when they can't do anything right).

Thanks for posting--at the very least, it made me feel better about myself. :)
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Both of my parents waited tables to get through college, and they taught us to always tip AT LEAST 20%. You never know what is going on with your server or how many other tables they have.... or what is going on in the kitchen (which can often be the reason your food is taking a long time/cold/whatever, not the server's fault.) Most of all, you never know when your server will have a table like that ignorant woman where in many restaurants, they just PAID to wait on her.
  • nroesler
    nroesler Posts: 81
    Options
    wow! I am on the fence between speechlessness and my own angry rant. I am a former cook, waitress and restarurant manager. I agree with the above post, I base tip 15% but that goes up based on service. This woman is a complete lunatic....I couldn't even get through the whole video but I started watching some of the reply video blogs....hilarious! I am proud of the waiter for confronting her in the parking lot, she got what she deserved but is too stupid to know it. Some people just shouldn't a) go to restaurants b) go out in public c) have access to a webcam, telephone or the internet in general or d) pass her idiotic genes onto the next generation.....too late for that....hopefully she will get food poisoning next time she eats at Taco Bell and mother nature will take care of the rest....wow
  • toots99
    Options
    Both of my parents waited tables to get through college, and they taught us to always tip AT LEAST 20%. You never know what is going on with your server or how many other tables they have.... or what is going on in the kitchen (which can often be the reason your food is taking a long time/cold/whatever, not the server's fault.) Most of all, you never know when your server will have a table like that ignorant woman where in many restaurants, they just PAID to wait on her.

AMEN!

There's a difference between a bad day and a truly bad server.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Some people just shouldn't a) go to restaurants b) go out in public c) have access to a webcam, telephone or the internet in general or d) pass her idiotic genes onto the next generation.....too late for that....hopefully she will get food poisoning next time she eats at Taco Bell and mother nature will take care of the rest....wow

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    Wow! I watched the whole video and a few of the responses. It's crazy that people are that ignorant. There's a reason stereotypes still exist and she's why. If you don't have enough money to leave a decent tip than don't go out. It's that simple. I think that at least a minimum tip of 10% should be included in the bill and that you should be forced to pay it but of course you should pay more.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Betcha she just makes her momma proud! disgusting.
  • melizabeth
    Options
    WOW that's all i have to say. i've worked in restaurants since i was 16 too. i cannot stand when you treat someone good and they give you less than 20% that's how i pay for everything. the wage is nothing. covers maybe food for the month or something. she is ignorant. she obviously doesn't understand what it's like to work in that setting. AND it wasn't even an 8% tip. it was like 5%. what a loser! it is not easy to bust your *kitten* all night, with no break usually, getting *****ed at by cooks and managers all night and make $8. that is not cool. tip 20% or more people! unless your waiter tells you to suck it.

RIDICULOUS!
  • toots99
    Options
    WOW that's all i have to say. i've worked in restaurants since i was 16 too. i cannot stand when you treat someone good and they give you less than 20% that's how i pay for everything. the wage is nothing. covers maybe food for the month or something. she is ignorant. she obviously doesn't understand what it's like to work in that setting. AND it wasn't even an 8% tip. it was like 5%. what a loser! it is not easy to bust your *kitten* all night, with no break usually, getting *****ed at by cooks and managers all night and make $8. that is not cool. tip 20% or more people! unless your waiter tells you to suck it.

RIDICULOUS!

I don't know how much you get paid in Chicago, but here in Texas we only get $2 an hour...TWO BUCKS PEOPLE!

It's unusual if I get a paycheck that doesn't say "zero dollars, this is not a check" on it. Just take some time to think when you're laying down a tip...how would you like it if you did a great job and busted your butt and your boss said "yeah, you know what? I'm not going to pay you what you deserve to get...how about I pay you half of what you should get?" You'd get pretty ticked off. :laugh:
  • hepkitty
    hepkitty Posts: 133
    Options
    Wow, as a non-American, living in a country where tipping is really unusual and our waiters, barstaff, etc etc are all paid a living wage from the company they work for, I have to wonder whether tipping is a flawed system.

Here, I go out for a meal and pay $x for a meal, and that's it. I don't have to pay more than the advertised price (20% is HUGE in terms of adding cost to your meal!!) AND my servers get to go home at the end of the night with enough money to live off. And if I receive really great service, I could tip (it's sometimes done) or I could just give my server a genuine thank you and leave it at that.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Wow, as a non-American, living in a country where tipping is really unusual and our waiters, barstaff, etc etc are all paid a living wage from the company they work for, I have to wonder whether tipping is a flawed system.

Here, I go out for a meal and pay $x for a meal, and that's it. I don't have to pay more than the advertised price (20% is HUGE in terms of adding cost to your meal!!) AND my servers get to go home at the end of the night with enough money to live off. And if I receive really great service, I could tip (it's sometimes done) or I could just give my server a genuine thank you and leave it at that.

I was in England last summer, and of all things, tipping was the biggest culture shock for me. I knew that tipping was unusual there and sometimes even considered rude, but that did not prepare me for when the bill came. I just can't NOT tip!

Anyways, my point is that 20% seems huge to you because you do not tip. I have been tipping my entire life, so an extra 20% is something I fully expect and intend to spend. It's not a big deal at all and even feels natural.

::EDIT:: Forgot to mention.... I am not sure which way of doing things is better or more profitable for the restaurant/employees. I am not sure how much servers make where you are from but it is entirely possible to make a living waiting tables in America. In my experience, far more people tip than don't.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I agree that its a flawed system. I don't think it is fair that waitstaff only make $2 per hour and have to depend on tips to make it by. That is the reason I always tip generously. Even for not so great service, I still leave 20% because I don't know if that person maybe just got some bad news, is new to the job, has an a-hole for a boss, just got dumped, etc. For the most part I'm always very polite ergardless and if that person is having a bad day, I can tell. Rarely have I ever had a total d-bag for a server.

I think they should make a normal minimum wage and then any tips can be a bonus. I think the companies should be the ones to make sure they go home with enough money. Not only are they serving us, but they serve and represent the company. The company should show appreciation for them taking care of their customers and making sure they come back. Untill that happens, I will still tip because I know its the right thing to do and I appreciate having someone else cook for and serve me when I'm looking for a fun time out.

Besides waitstaff, I think delivery drivers should tipped too. I used to deliver pizza for a couple companies. Sure you get min wage and a small payout per delivery....$.50 to$1.50, $.50 being more common. I can honestly tell you that after you factor in gas, car maintenece, insurance, damage from the stupid sign magnets, cleaning the inside of the car cuz it will always stink like pizza, and then your living costs....you still come out in the negative. I once delivered 40 large pizzas to a business party that took two trips so I could get all the 2 liters and salads there while everything stayed hot and fresh and the lettuce didn't wilt. I had to carry everything from my car to the building. Noone met me at the door or offered a cart to push it all down the hall. They gave me 5 bucks on a 2hundred something bill. The typical tip is spare change to maybe a dollar. At least the company could srping for an oil change or offer a bonus to pay for insurance. But I digress....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I base tip 15% plus - and usually plus a lot if the check is light at an inexpensive mom&pop, but I will go short if service sux.

Now I don't mean the cooks were slow or the gal had too many tables - I mean that if my food gets cold on the pickup while I watch (& hear) you piss & moan to the hostess for 10 minutes about what a witch Brenda is,,, you're getting 10%, maybe. It happens rarely, but it has happened. Generally I'm a patient & kind customer, I don't fuss and I almost never send anything back, but I'm not a sucker either, and I'm not paying for good service unless I get it.

One thing I try to do when it's warranted (on top of a solid 20%+ <$5 minimum> tip) I like to tell the server something complimentary. "Hey, you were prompt and got it all right and you were nice, great job, thank you". Do wait staff appreciate this, or do they laugh at me once I'm out the door?
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I base tip 15% plus - and usually plus a lot if the check is light at an inexpensive mom&pop, but I will go short if service sux.

Now I don't mean the cooks were slow or the gal had too many tables - I mean that if I watch my food get cold on the pickup while I watch (& hear) you piss & moan to the hostess about what a witch Brenda is,,, you're getting 10%, maybe. It happens rarely, but it has happened. Generally I'm a patient & kind customer, I don't fuss and I almost never send anything back, but I'm not a sucker either, and I'm not paying for good service unless I get it.

One thing I try to do when it's warranted (on top of a solid 20%+ <$5 minimum> tip) I like to tell the server something complimentary. "Hey, you were prompt and got it all right and you were nice, great job, thank you". Do wait staff appreciate this, or do they laugh at me once I'm out the door?

I think they'd appreciate it. At least the folks I know who wait tables would. Sounds like you are paying it forward to the next table after you, ya know. Give that server something to feel good about and she will carry it to someone else. I also like to make sure the manager knows that I had good service too. My daughter or myself will shake their hand and let them know that we enjoyed our meal and our server was fantastic. My daughter loves to tell the manager about the server....especially if they sneak her a treat after her meal, lol.
  • toots99
    Options

No, we love that! At least, I do! And if someone if what I think to be extra generous, I always go back and say an extra thank you, teling them I appreciate it.

There are some people, though, who will say "Everything was great, you did a good job..." and then leave 10%. Well thanks. I can't tell my landlord "You run a great apartment complex, you're a great landlord...here's half my rent." :laugh:

I do enjoy waiting tables, I've been doing it for forever. Luckily most people are pretty generous and make it worthwhile. Sure there are a few bad apples, but you just gotta shake it off. If you can't, you need to find another job.

And someone else mentioned something along the lines of the restaurant company paying a better hourly wage. They could do that, but then the menu items will have to probably increase drastically, making it unfair for the guest. And some states do pay a regular minimum wage. I worked in Las Vegas and Los Angeles and there they get regular wage. But there's no way of living in Los Angeles on $8 an hour! :laugh:
  • jmarie66
    jmarie66 Posts: 17
    Options
    bump
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've worked in food service and I know how much it sucks not to get tipped, especially if you are a genuinely hard worker. I generally tip pretty well. However, if I can SEE you standing in the waitress station, chatting and laughing with your coworkers while I've been without a refill for over 20 minutes AND the kitchen staff had to run my food out because you're jacking around and not doing your job, yeah, you're not going to get a good tip. You may get a note as to why your tip sucked, but I'm not paying you extra because you entered my order in a computer and didn't do anything else. I could go to a fast food place for service that great.