gained 5lbs in hospital - feeling discouraged.

Options
I was in hospital for almost a month, I jumped on the scale this morning and noticed I have gained back 5lbs. Feeling discouraged and in dire need of support :(

Replies

• BorderlineAngel
    Options
    bump
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Five pounds isn't bad. You'll take it off if you get right back on your food plan. Are you allowed to exercise or are they making restrictions?
  • tifflf82
    Options
    Dont feel discouraged, a lot of times in the Hospital you get 3 FULL meals and I know when I have been in there I ate every bit of it. Plus you have no activity in there. They usually want to Bulk you up and keep you healthy. Once you start feeling better you can start again.
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    If you were be given IV fluids, most likely its all water retention and it will flush out shortly.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hang tough and you'll lose it again, probably in short order. LIkely causes? medicine/pain killers, severe water retention from laying down alot. If you're allowed, start moving -- get walking -- walk walk walk. Drink lots of water, continue healthy eating, watch the sodium intake and give it time.

If you're taking any medications that cause weight gain as a side effect, keep it in mind.

Hope you're doing well now. Being in the hospital that long can't be fun at all.
  • kpandreasen
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself, since you were in the hospital I am thinking that your body has been through some sort of illness or injury. Don't cut too much as your body needs nutrition to heal. Try to eat a balanced diet and stay well hydrated. You will be back on track soon.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    IVs plus hospital food can make you retain fluids. Also, depending on why you were in there, your muscles might be retaining water while they heal (if you had surgery, for example).

Focus on healing, rest up, follow the doctor's orders, and get back on-track when you can. :)
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I gained 5lbs from one night of IV fluids last week. The weight was gone in 2 days.

Hang in there!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    don't feel to bad 5 pounds isn't so bad because the food there sucks
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I am in the hospital I usually gain 5 to 10 pounds in water weight. It normally comes off within a week. I would drink lots of water and try to at least walk everyday to move the fluid out of your body.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself, since you were in the hospital I am thinking that your body has been through some sort of illness or injury. Don't cut too much as your body needs nutrition to heal. Try to eat a balanced diet and stay well hydrated. You will be back on track soon.

Eat healthy, drink water and take your time getting back. Whatever you have been through the body must still completely heal! You will be back at before you know it.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Please don't be discouraged. I have been rehabbing a broken hip and knee for the last 3 monthes and in the meantime gained 20 lbs. I have decided I will not get down about it that I will just apply myself harder and get it done. If I can do it once I can do it again. Best of luck to you!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just gained 5lbs this week because of something that is coming up any day now.

The scale fluctuates a lot. Do measurements.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    One day I'm 138, the next I'm 132. And not for doing anything different.

Do measurements. You were in the hospital. Methinks you have your health to worry about moreso than the scale, dear.
  • Rosejoan
    Rosejoan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You will surely loose it again. Don't worry. Once you get back to the normal way of eating and activity, you will be right on track again.javascript:add_smiley('smile','post_body')
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When did you leave the hospital? IV fluids are designed to force your body to retain fluids. I really hope you're feeling better from whatever put you in. Being in for a month sounds awful.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    When did you leave the hospital? IV fluids are designed to force your body to retain fluids. I really hope you're feeling better from whatever put you in. Being in for a month sounds awful.

Last night but haven't been on fluids for 2 weeks now..