Wanting to start running

Options
I don't run as a general rule, but I think I might want to start. Does anyone have any tips or pointers on how to get started? I've read different articles on it, but I want to hear from someone who didn't used to run, who now runs all the time. I know to start with a little bit of distance, and to work my way up. I would like to know how those of you who run got started, and worked your way up to marathons. Any helpful info would be appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    First of all check out the C25K program. I didn't follow it but people rave about it.
    I wasn't doing any running for years. I decided in 2007 that I was ready to do something different to get motivated and signed up for a women's 4 miler and the training program designed for it. The first day, we started with 2 laps and every week, added 2 more laps. Very basic and easy to do so it's just a matter of starting slow, finding what works for you (jogging entire distance or doing walk/jog intervals) and most importantly, investing in good shoes (like go to a running store and have them analyze you).
    I am now running 3 min per mile faster, training for a 1/2 marathon and doing a Rugged Maniac at age 39 so it's possible for anyone!
  • mtsnorider
    mtsnorider Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    basically... just get out and start. The "Couch to 5K" is the best beginning plan for those that don't have a running base. I didn't follow it to a T but used it more as a guide.

Be patient with yourself and keep going. It won't be awesome every day but keep it up. It may hurt or be uncomfortable but it gets easier and you get more excited.

Also, if you feel like you need water... take it or what I did was chew gum. Helped a bunch with feeling thirsty.
  • stephenwebbe
    stephenwebbe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I taught myself to run this past summer. I was always afraid of it and just labelled myself as not being able to.

Basically the best advice I can give is find the fine line between not over thinking the run and not under thinking it. What I mean is if you obsess over running throughout the day then you'll just not go. Try not to make it a big deal and go as early in the day as you can so that you don't make excuses not to.

Just give it a try, if you like it you like it. If you don't like it then you can work on it... take it in small steps until you are comfortable and don't beat yourself up if you aren't making enough progress.

Good luck!!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I think most people would probably say Couch to 5k, but I have never tried it, so I'll leave that description to others.

I ran track in high school, but in college the only laps I did were back and forth to the keg. I started up again by jogging for 10 minutes on the treadmill as a warm up and cool down from weight training. It wasn't super structured. A friend and I decided to do a 10k together, so I worked my mileage up to that. We ran the race, and saw people from the associated half marathon getting medals. Well, damn it, we wanted medals! We signed up for a half marathon, and just upped our long run distance by one mile each week. Sometime in the course of training, we got drunk and registered for the Chicago Marathon. This was back in 2005, and since then I've actually lost count of the number of marathons I've run. I would say that I went from completely sedentary to a 4:22 marathon in something like 9 months, but again I didn't know what I was doing and over trained (I knew how to train for sprinting, not endurance). I was running 4-5 times a week, with each run being at least 10 miles. It was a recipe for injury in the beginning. I could probably do it now, 7 years of distance running later, but it was a bad idea back then. Now I run 3-4 times a week: One long run, one recovery, one set of hill repeats or a hard trail run, and a speed/tempo run session (speed would be intervals...such as 3x 1 mile @ 5k race pace, with a half mile jog in between each mile; temp run would be something along the lines of 5 miles @ my 10k race pace). This has really worked for me, but when starting out, work on endurance first, and speed will follow as your cardio improves.

Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% each week. Don't expect to love every run. Some days will be frustrating. Try to run outside. Treadmills suck, but are sometimes the only option. If you are on a treadmill, run at a 1.0 incline at least.

Most of all, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Spend some money on them, they will be your best friends. Good luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I started running one year ago doing Couch to 5K (I had done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30) and now one year later, I run 20 to 25 miles per week, have already run one Half marathon.

Never thought I would love running. But, I do!!! Sometimes it is harder than others, but I have seen such huge benefits from it.
  • lawchick
    Options
    Hi There,

I joined the running room back at the end of September and couldn't run a block without puffing and panting like I was dying and now I'm running 3-5 kms 3 times a week.

This is the best program ever!!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    1. Buy good shoes.
    2. Start slow.
    3. Mix in some strength training.
    4. Do intervals.

Go to a good running store & get some help buying the right shoes. It might turn out that the shoes you have are fine but, if not, you'll save yourself a lot of pain. :)

Don't worry about how fast you're going. What worked for me was finding the speed that I couldn't maintain a fast-paced walk... at that point, it felt more natural to jog (although it took a while before it felt natural to jog for any length of time).

If you're not already lifting some weights, I really think it's a help. Building the muscles that support the joints makes a big difference. Some pretty basic resistance dumbbell exercises work wonders.

Go with intervals... C25k seems to be pretty popular, and how I started out, although I switched over to my own intervals pretty quickly. C25k just wasn't working for me, although I'm still not sure why.

In the end, I didn't have an exact routine, but I basically did something like 5m walking, 2m jogging for starters. Then every week I'd jog a bit more until I was doing 5m of each, then I'd go longer, starting 10m walking, 5m jogging and week to week reduced the walking minutes while increasing the jogging minutes. Pretty much just pushed myself to jog a bit more, but I always kept 2-3 minutes of walking mixed in between the jogging intervals.

I ran my first 5k on a treadmill about 10 weeks after I switched from C25k to my own interval mix, and I've done a few treadmill & road 5ks since. Even now, I really only go for 30-60 minute runs, and I'm still slow as molasses -- but it's quite a stretch from where I was a few months ago. ;-)
  • freedomis
    freedomis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is a really good article! Otherwise I'd look up 5k running plans

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-loss-program-walk-run
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me almost exactly one year ago. :smile:

I had never been a runner, never even had the desire. I could walk all day long, and walk fast, but running was different, and I didn't like it. Then one day something clicked in my head - don't know if it was the challenge, or the desire to have a workout I could do almost anywhere, or because I had friends running 5k races and they looked fun - whatever it was, I suddenly had the desire to give running a try.

I used the c25k program and loved it. I downloaded a free app, c25kFREE by Zen Labs, and it worked perfectly. I followed the program exactly, running 3 days a week, meeting the goals for each day's session of walking & running. I was slow, but I completed the time - and by the end of nine weeks, I was running without stopping for 30 minutes straight. :bigsmile:

And I'm still running. Just hit my longest distance of 7 miles last week. I have no desire (not yet anyway) to run a marathon, or even a half just yet. I ran four 5k races last year and had a great time, and would like to run a 10k or two this year. I still run three days a week, anywhere from 3-5 miles or longer most days. I try to mix things up with a shorter 2-3 mile run with intervals to work on speed, a decent paced 4-5 mile run, and/or a longer run to push a little farther than my longest run, depending on how I feel.

I highly recommend the c25k program - I had no injuries or problems with it at all. I started with a new pair of shoes (great idea to get fitted at a good running store if you can) that I was comfortable with (Asics have always fit me well), planned my weeks according to the weather, and off I went. Also fun to find a 5k race in your area that's happening a few weeks after you will have completed the program - it's a great motivator to stick with the training, and a fun reward for your hard work!
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to be a non runner, and was once very overweight. I now work as a physio/trainer and love working with runners, and do ironmans etc. All the above comments are quite valid. My advice would be as follows:
    1. Find a good program that works for you and your life.
    2. Surround yourself with the right people-run with a partner etc, or someone who shares your goals.
    3. As mentioned above, start slow. 90% of running injuries are due to overt raining.
    4. Run a minimum of 3-4x per week. In other words, if your goal for example is to run 10kms total per week, you're better off to run 4 days for 2.5 km, as opposed to 2 days for 5 km.

As far as injuries are concerned, your body will adapt to the increased forces placed on your body by running, provided the forces you place on your body do not exceed its ability to adapt. Said differently, (as a general rule) on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being no muscle/joint pain/feeling awesome, and 10 being put you in the hospital pain, as long as your pain is less than 6/10 during your run, is less than 6/10 for the hour after your run, and the next day you are not in more pain compared to the previous day, you're doing fine. If you go above these barriers, you're putting yourself at risk for injury, so progress slowly and have fun!

As far as shoes go, get a pair that you're comfortable with. Paying more for shoes doesn't equate with less chance of injury, so whatever brand you choose, get ones that feel good to run in. Any decent running shoe store should at least have a treadmill for you to run on to try them out before you buy.
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Alongside trying a program like C25k, it's important that you make it something you look forward to doing, especially at the beginning.
    I started running a few months ago using the app Zombies, Run! which really got me excited for runs because I heard a story, played a game, and got some great exercise! Now I just enjoy running (even though I still run with the app!) So do whatever will make it more enjoyable for you. Be it trying a game like that one, or finding interesting places to run, or running with friends. If you look forward to it, you're more likely to get up and go. Quickly you'll find yourself enjoying the run itself, and look forward to just getting up and moving.

If it's something you enjoy, you're more likely to keep doing it and not give up.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to be a non runner, and very overweight. I now work as a physio/trainer and love working with runners. All the above comments are quite valid. My advice would be as follows:
    1. Find a good program that works for you and your life.
    2. Surround yourself with the right people-run with a partner etc, or someone who shares your goals.
    3. As mentioned above, start slow. 90% of running injuries are due to overt raining.
    4. Run a minimum of 3-4x per week. In other words, if your goal for example is to run 10kms total per week, you're better off to run 4 days for 2.5 km, as opposed to 2 days for 5 km.

As far as injuries are concerned, your body will adapt to the increased forces placed on your body by running, provided the forces you place on your body do not exceed its ability to adapt. Said differently, (as a general rule) on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being no muscle/joint pain/feeling awesome, and 10 being put you in the hospital pain, as long as your pain is less than 6/10 during your run, is less than 6/10 for the hour after your run, and the next day you are not in more pain compared to the previous day, you're doing fine. If you go above these barriers, you're putting yourself at risk for injury, so progress slowly and have fun!

As far as shoes go, get a pair that you're comfortable with. Paying more for shoes doesn't equate with less chance of injury, so whatever brand you choose, get ones that feel good to run in. Any decent running shoe store should at least have a treadmill for you to run on to try them out before you buy.

TRUTH!

For programs check out Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. If you're working on how to get yourself to run continuously over a short time frame, go with Galloway. If you're looking at how to integrate a distance running schedule into your life, Higdon has some great free training plans on his site.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The best way to start doing something is just to put one foot in front of the other and start it. start with what you can realistically do. If that's a 10 minute walk around the block, then that's your starting point. and just expect yourself to do it better and quicker each week.

I started by walking around my apartment complex.. then upped it to intervals. (walk 1 minute jog 1 minute.. I had a plan to get me to running for a full 30 minutes using intervals in 4 weeks.. i can't find it but I just found it online).. I got sick and got hurt or I'd be running by now, but after i thought about it I realized.. I don't really like running. but I was up to 4 laps around the complex before all that.

If it's right for you, you'll do it and you'll love it! I feel like crap when I don't exercise now. I love to exercise!
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When i first started exercising in the gym I started off using all the cardio equipment and I'd run/walk on the treadmill. Mostly I'd try to run for as long as I could. I used to count it by songs one song 3 - 4min then work up two songs 6 - 8min but i never really got much further than that and it'd be on a low level on the treadmill although at the time i though I was pretty awesome.

I started to do the classes at the gym. Most classes at my gym are Les Mills classes Body Attack, Body Combat, Body Step, RPM. I started doing a lot of regularly and since they upped the interval training in these classes I have gotten a lot fitter.

The other day I decide to go for a late night run. As I haven't run in quite a while when run 3 - 4 k straight up I could have gone further. I really surprised myself.

My tips to you are as others have said
    - Good Shoes (I brought nike free runs)
    - Interval Training (start off walking briskly first block, speed up jog the next, run as fast as you can the next, slow down let your heart rate decrease and repeat.)
    - Also take into account that running outside is VERY different to running on a treadmill at the gym.
  • andreak400
    andreak400 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K. I've done 5K's before and it works. My goal is a 5K in February. I started with the goal this year to run 1 mile without stopping. I gave myself 3 months to complete that goal and I made that goal about a week ago by slowly and steadily working up to it. That's the good news.
    Here's the bad news and where I become a cautionary tale.
    I did the bad rookie thing and said "These are <insert brand name shoe> and I don't wear them often for running because I walk a lot and they're about 8 months old but they'll work because I don't wear them that much so I don't need new shoes." Yeah, that was an epic fail. I'm now sitting at home tending to my shin splints and shoulda-coulda-woulda.
    Get fitted for good shoes at a store that specializes in running shoes. Ask them why they suggest one shoe over another. Try them on and, if they have a track or a treadmill, get on it and get a feel for the shoe. Ask what they think about different running programs. How did they start? What 5K's are coming up? You're only racing against yourself, so why not make the goal to do a 5K in May or March?
    As some other people have suggested in other posts, cross train with weights or other aerobic activities so that your body is strong all over.
    Enjoy that runner's high. You'll know it when you feel it. It's goooood stuff!
    Take it slow and steady. You don't have to do a 5K on day one. Just work up to it. And smile when you're done with every workout because you just finished another day of awesomeness!
  • foxymama73
    foxymama73 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I saw lots of good tips, and I think I'll be able to do it. Thanks again.:flowerforyou:
  • Jonger611
    Jonger611 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Until recently i didn't do any running, I've now been using the C25K app and although I'm only half way through I'm really enjoying it, and so is my friend that I have started doing this with. I have never been able to run well, not even in school. I couldn't get my breathing right etc but have been doing much better by building it up slowly. Its definitely starting to feel achievable! Good luck.
  • Jonger611
    Jonger611 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oh and the other thing I would say is it becomes very tempting to run more than the app is telling you to. Don't do it, you end up overdoing it and not wanting to go again!
  • allison1027
    Options
    What i do is start off walking for like 3 minutes and then joj for 3 minutes and do that for about 15 minutes everyday and running will get easier