Shrimp Recipes

I LOVE shrimp and they are so good for you, but the way I WOULD have cooked them would either be fried or slathered in butter and garlic. Any low cal ideas for Shrimp?

Replies

• syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    I LOVE shrimp and they are so good for you, but the way I WOULD have cooked them would either be fried or slathered in butter and garlic. Any low cal ideas for Shrimp?

saw this recipe here on MFP - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12340-shrimp-scampi-low-fat-low-cal
  • Yummy.. Someone else, keep them coming. :smile:
  • 4men1lady79
    4men1lady79 Posts: 112 Member
    I love shrimp also but I now cook them in olive oil. Also try cocktail shrimp with a homemade pineapple salsa! Recently I also sautéed some shrimp with EVOO added some seasoning, cooked some spinach and drained, boiled some whole wheat angel hair pasta then mixed it all together oh and add some light spaghetti or alfredo sauce! Super yummy, a little healthier, and fulfilling!!
  • kissmisskate
    kissmisskate Posts: 92 Member
    I love shrimp! Especially if I can marinade and then pan-fry them, no extra oil needed. I look for inspiration on pinterest, and then eyeball ingredients for the amount of shrimp I'm cooking, so I don't have measured recipes... start small and add to taste. Some of my favourite marinades:

Honey Lime: olive oil, honey, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
    Spicy garlic: Garlic, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne pepper
    Asian: Soy sauce, vegetable oil, garlic, brown sugar, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper. Also good with pineapple juice!

Mix up marinades, add shrimp, let sit about an hour... then saute or grill as preferred!
  • RagenaC
    RagenaC Posts: 6 Member
    Bump
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Boil in Old Bay. They are great just like that or add a touch of lemon to dip them in.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    My favourite way to enjoy shrimp is to slice them in half horizontally and then chop up some red peppers, cucumber, romaine, avocado, and some carrots - a "matchstick" or "julienne" cut for the veggies is best. Nice skinny long pieces.

Then I take a piece of rice paper, dunk it in water for a few seconds, and then set it on a wet towel. I add some shrimp, veggies, and a few cilantro leaves. Then a tiny spoonful of hoisin sauce in there, too. Then I roll it up into a spring roll - no need to seal them, the damp rice paper sticks to itself.

I make a quick dipping sauce using some rice vinegar, sugar, sambal olek (chili sauce), lime juice, and soy/fish sauce. And there you go - fresh spring rolls (without the deep fryer) with a sweet, salty, sour dipping sauce. Yum. :)
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    This>>>>>http://www.food.com/recipe/lime-and-cilantro-shrimp-168621
    I've made it twice in the last week and could eat it every day! My son said " it tastes like a restaurant meal". Put it over this>>>
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/ and you have a wonderful yummy meal:)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    I buy shrimp in large quantities from costco (cooked and uncooked). Lately, I've just thawed a couple cups of cooked baby shrimp and mixed in some lemon juice and a bit of cocktail sauce. Yum
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Boil in Old Bay. They are great just like that or add a touch of lemon to dip them in.

YESSSS!!! Fresh shrimp, a big pot of water, and Old Bay Seasoning. Perfection! :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Honey Lime: olive oil, honey, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
    Spicy garlic: Garlic, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne pepper
    Asian: Soy sauce, vegetable oil, garlic, brown sugar, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper. Also good with pineapple juice!

Mix up marinades, add shrimp, let sit about an hour... then saute or grill as preferred!

These sound delish! Could omit honey or brown sugar and used splenda/stevia for low carb!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Just made them last night. Marinated them in Teriaki and threw them on the grill. 15 minutes and they are done! Even the kids will eat them.
  • RagenaC
    RagenaC Posts: 6 Member
    Bump