question about BMR

so my BMR is 1904.96. but myfitness pal wants me to be on a 1600 calorie diet is that a bit unhealthy for trying to loose 1.5 pounds a week? just really confused

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Where did you calculate your BMR?

How much do you have to lose overall?
  • Hey DanaDark

here is the formula for calculating BMR

English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )
  • DanaDark
    Hey DanaDark

here is the formula for calculating BMR

English BMR Formula
    Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Not what I asked at all. Not even remotely.
  • KaylieDawn
    KaylieDawn Posts: 11 Member
    I think this is really normal actually! I would say if they told you to go less than 1200 calories per week it wouldn't be a good idea. But this is fine!
  • DanaDark
    I think this is really normal actually! I would say if they told you to go less than 1200 calories per week it wouldn't be a good idea. But this is fine!

With 42 pounds to lose. 1.5 pounds per week is too ambitious, as is evident by the fact that the returned caloric goal from MFP is below his BMR as calculated from somewhere over the rainbow.

Will be alright for a few weeks, then most likely a stall and then will need to switch to maintenance for several weeks to repair cortisol levels, during which he'll gain back a good portion of lost weight.
  • KaylieDawn
    KaylieDawn Posts: 11 Member
    Wait, you're a guy !!! I was thinking about myself - it is a little bit low! You should make sure you calculated your original BMR correctly! :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I would suggest changing to 1 lb/wk, and double checking that you're using the appropriate activity setting. Somewhere around the ~50lb to lose mark is where 2lbs/wk becomes too much, and it sounds like 1.5 is probably too much at this point for you, too. As a 5'3" female I lost my weight at 1650 plus all my exercise calories, I'm now at the endgame and tapering my deficit.
  • i got my BMR out my college nutrition book. but i am going to double check again.