Is there some trick to protein powder?

Options
Kitsada
Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
I need more protein.... saw an idea on here to put it in oatmeal, thought hey, I can do that....

I normally make trader joe's quick steel cut oats, and like them plain, or with raisins, or some brown sugar.... figured the protein powder would go fine in there.

I bought some Trader Joe's women's designer whey ... in Vanilla, and tried adding just half a scoop. (A serving is two scoops).

It tastes like chalk in my oatmeal.... am I doing something wrong? Do you have to cook it or something? How do people eat this stuff???

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No. You're doing it right. Whey is not a good fit for Oatmeal. Easy way to get everything down though.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You can mix in some Molly McButter. That may help
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    add more water or milk to it then add the powder after you cook it thats what i do
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    my usual protein powder recipe:

50g frozen strawberries
    50g frozen mango

any other random fruit you happen to fancy

1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or berries flavour works best for this)

100g of laban (arabic milk drink - you can use milk or yoghurt)

mix in a blender

I can't remember the exact calories for this, it's high in carbs (the healthy kind), and usually I would have this after a workout, when the body needs protein and healthy carbs. And it tastes like ice cream if you use vanilla protein powder in it, so it's a healthy alternative to ice cream if you're having cravings.
  • wildflwwinger
    Options
    In a blender, I put about 5 ice cubes, vanilla protein powder, about 3/4 cup of water (or what your powder says to mix with- there is one vanilla almond milk with only 30 calories), 1 cup of frozen, unsweetened berries or any other frozen, unsweetened fruit, 1 pkt stevia sweetener and blend on high til thick and blended. You might have to stop the blender and push stuff down with a spoon, and then blend some more. It comes out really thick!! I eat it with a spoon, or you will need a big straw.
    Other possible options to add are:
    1/2 to 1 frozen banana-(slice before adding)-makes it really thick! (I peel and slice them and put them in a ziplock, then in the freezer),
    1/4 to 1/2 c. plain greek yogurt with a pkt of stevia,
    1 Tablespoon of ANY kind of instant sugar-free pudding. (approx 25 cal)
    Powdered peanut butter with 85% less fat (Fresh Market has "Just Great Stuff" by Betty Lou's, Inc.) there is also one somewhere called "PB II "
    **another good combo is protein pwd, chocolate SF pudding, pwd. peanut butter, frozen banana, Ice, and water or milk.
  • xoxerinxox
    Options
    You can add it to fruit smoothies, that way you can barely taste it :) Usually I can't be bothered so I just mix it in a shaker and just chug it to get it over with, I don't really like that taste but if I get it down fairly quickly I can stomach it.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A protein site in the UK does Instant Oats, which are basically just oats ground down so much they're basically a powder. Makes it incredibly easy to mix, I stick 50g of that, 50g of whey powder and 10g of psyllium husk with 300ml of water in my blender bottle each morning, shake it for a few seconds and it's so easy to drink and filling. If you can find anywhere doing ground up oats I recommend it. Basically doing the opposite, taking oats to your shake instead of whey to your oatmeal.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    In my experience whey that is made up of mostly whey isolate tastes much better. By what your describing it sounds like the cheap protein powder is the culprit. Have you tried simply mixing it with water or milk per the directions on the container? If you can't stand the taste of it that way your probably not going to like adding it to things unless you can mask or cover the flavor.

The better tasting protein powders cost significantly more than the cheap stuff but they usually have less of the stuff that you don't want in them.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I typically add my powder to oatmeal on lifting days as well as having a shake later on in the day. I use a half of a scoop. I haven't had any issues with it being chalky. Try hitting up a wellness store for some different powder or just use yours in different recipes that people have suggested.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I prefer to dip large pieces of meat in protein powder after a long day of battling bears, and drinking mead. If that's not an option you can always mix it with some strawberries, blueberries, vanilla yogurt, and almond milk. Either one works.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    you can just mix it with milk if you want to. Tastes fine to me. Then again I just mix it with water sometimes and that tastes alright too. Some people cant stand that though.
  • raynavee
    Options
    I use Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk and a little 0 Calorie sweetener. Tastes like ice cream in my opinion. My husband even admits it tastes better when I make it for him. Maybe you aren't getting enough fluids in it to properly mix it well, or maybe you aren't mixing it enough. It takes awhile for it to desolve.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a million recipes for my protein powder. Like the poster above, I usually add small amount of frozen fruit and some sugar free pudding mix. You can also add extracts. I love french vanilla shake from Trader Joe's, vanilla sf pudding mix, frozen pineapple, and a couple of drops of coconut extract. Delicious!!

some other really great shakes: vanilla protein powder with diet rootbeer or other diet soda (I always add a little vanilla sf pudding mix). Adding sf jello (I like lime) with the protein mix.

I always use the vanilla base. If I want a chocolate shake I add chocolate pudding mix to the vanilla. I really like adding coconut extract to the chocolate shake--it's like a mounds bar. :) Good luck!
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    snort it
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I make the oatmeal first, then add in some sort of milk (I switch between coconut milk and soy milk, but use whatever kind you like) and then mix in the scoop of vanilla protein . I'll also add in a dash of cinnamon and about 6 almonds or so to make it more balanced to fit with my macro goals. The cinnamon takes away the vanilla protein taste.