waitressing question

Options
I am a part time waitress at a bar/grill and a full time student. On weekends I work 6-16 hour ****s and I do nothing but walk around.. mostly pretty briskly on weekend nights. My question is should I eat more calories then my 1200? I'm starving when I get home, and if I should add calories how should I track them? I don't want to change my settings to active because on M-Th I mainly sit around in a class room or study.
Please let me know your opinions!

Replies

• pinkjayhawk726
    pinkjayhawk726 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    that was shifts not ****s lol!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat way more than 1200 if I remember how it is to wait tables correctly. That is a pretty active job.

I found this for you, not sure how accurate this source is in general:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295244-how-many-calories-does-waitressing-burn/

A 140-lb. individual can burn four calories per minute at an average pace from table waiting, or 255 calories in one hour. A 170-lb. person can burn five calories per minute or 309 calories in one hour.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yes. You probably should be eating more.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think you should defintitely count it as exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. You could use even a cheap pedometer to measure how many steps you take in a shift to give you an idea of how many calories you're burning.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am a part time waitress at a bar/grill and a full time student. On weekends I work 6-16 hour ****s and I do nothing but walk around.. mostly pretty briskly on weekend nights. My question is should I eat more calories then my 1200? I'm starving when I get home, and if I should add calories how should I track them? I don't want to change my settings to active because on M-Th I mainly sit around in a class room or study.

On MFP settings for your non-exercise activity level - Sedentary doesn't really apply then. Considering majority with FitBit's and BodyMedia's find their non-exercise days on desk job or really Lightly Active, you are easily that if not next level up for non-exercise days - if your weekly total is averaged back out daily.

At least do Lightly Active, and select 1 lb weight loss goal.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You are right to not change the settings. you may want to count this as "exercise"... find something approximate and add it in... It will help you adjust your daily intake. 1200 calories is generally pretty low and your hunger is an indicator that you need a bit more. Best wishes on attaining your goals.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

On MFP settings for your non-exercise activity level - Sedentary doesn't really apply then. Considering majority with FitBit's and BodyMedia's find their non-exercise days on desk job or really Lightly Active, you are easily that if not next level up for non-exercise days - if your weekly total is averaged back out daily.

At least do Lightly Active, and select 1 lb weight loss goal.

She's a waitress doing 6-16 hour shifts. I would say that if you work at least 3 times a week - you probably should pick at least moderately active...unless you are also getting workouts in then I'd probably consider yourself very active. But definitely evaluate your activity level honestly and go with that..don't pick lower because you think that will help you lose faster.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you don't have your setting as active, then you should count your waitressing shifts as exercise and eat back your calories accordingly. If you can wear an HRM during your shift, it will tell you how many calories you've burned. If not, you can estimate how much time you spent walking and fast.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Or invest in a FitBit.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I highly recommend a fit bit (the fitbit zip is on sale at target for $49). It wil tell you exactly what you burn and after a week of wearing it you can get an average TDEE.
  • pinkjayhawk726
    pinkjayhawk726 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody!! I really appreciate the tips.. you are all so knowledgeable!!