kid approved healthy meals

Options
theresapoynor
theresapoynor Posts: 13 Member
Hi, Dinner is the biggest problem i have to overcome. My husband and kids are picky so i am looking for some healthy dinner recipes that we all can enjoy and dont cost alot as we are on a pretty small budget.

Replies

• pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Raised 2 picky kids myself and found that making stuff that had enough ingredients that they could sort out the stuff they didn't want worked o.k.- we never had much money so I din't buy much meat or used it in small quantities. Things we liked that can be made low cal included: Vegetable Soups made with fat free chicken or veggie broth. Go light on the Potato's and Carrots be sure and use Leeks. Will put a good recipe for this on my blog.

Stir fry- use chicken stock instead of oil to saate the veggies in and add a small amount of chicken if desired. Add a small amount of Lowrys Sesame Ginger Marinade/sauce and serve with regular rice, top ramen noodles with the broth drained off or brown rice. Cook the rice in Chicken broth for extra flavor and nutrients.

Remember your kids need more fat than you do in a healthy form like 2% milk.

Taco's and Enchiladas- use ground turkey instead of beef for low cal, reduced fat cheese and lots of lettuce, tomatoes, some avocado, cilantro. Heat the tortillas wrapped in foil in the oven. Use fat free sour cream or nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream.

Big dinner Salads- use low fat dressing for you (see my blog on Mountain High Yogurt dressing) and use lots of fun ingredients changing it up often to keep it interesting.

Chili made with ground turkey and garnished with low fat cheese (a bit) and non- fat sour cream was a big favorite.

In the end you are the cook in the house and what you make is what they get. Don't let the kids bully you into just making the stuff they want or allow them to load up on snacks before or after dinner. They need to learn healthy eating too and to be respectful to Mom and her good home cooking! Good luck and I know you will do great!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Roast the veggies! Just about any veggie can be roasted and many can be cut into bite sized pieces or strips like French fries.
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    nice idea!