Beginner runner + Asthma

Options
Any advice for someone who really wants to start running, but has terrible exertional asthma?

I've always wanted to take up running or jogging, but I've had asthma since I was 2 years old. I also have terrible reactions to the inhaled steroids used for asthma medications, so it's fairly uncontrolled. Luckily, it's only exertional. I tried to start taking up jogging all throughout college, but never got more than a lap around the track without needing to catch my breath.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

Replies

• poizonous
    Options
    Have you tried a couple of puffs of albuterol a little bit before you started running?
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have asthma that is triggered by cold temperatures, being sick, and the obvious exercise. I started c25k this October, and managed to do okay through week 6 or so without needing an inhaler. I just took it easy on my jogs and slowed down for my walks if I was having trouble breathing.

By week 6 though I had a virus I was fighting off, in addition to it getting colder... I found that two things helped my lungs when running. 1st off, I cover my mouth with a neck "gaiter" for the first 10-15 minutes or so. Once I've completely warmed up, the cold air actually feels refreshing in my lungs and doesn't hurt them most of the time. If I feel the asthma creeping up, I cover my mouth again.

Secondly, I pre-medicate with my fast acting inhaler about 10-15 minutes before my run. I've only done this for the last 6 weeks or so, and plan on stoping as soon as it starts warming up, to see if I need to continue it or not.

Between the two, I have managed to get to where I can jog for 40 minutes straight, with out stoping. Granted my pace is slow (just about a 13 minute mile), but I can do it!

My doctor says, keep running... as long as I don't try to break any records, and the lungs will eventually follow along and get stronger. In the mean time, keep it slow and walk or stop completely if you have to.

There are days where I have cried during my run because my legs feel great, I'm not cramping anywhere... but I feel as though my lungs are just holding me back.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have the same - went from not being able to run at all to now being able to run 10k, and even run in cold weather. Two things helped me improve my lungs:
    1. Go slow. I found it better to build up stamina than to have to stop because my lungs are tightening up. Sometimes, particularly up hills, I feel like I am at the speed I would be if I was walking, but still maintaining my running stance.
    2. Focus on breathing. When I starting running I felt like I had no control over my breathing, I was always gasping for breath. With practice, I started being able to control my breathing so I was talking long slow breathes whilst I am running - this also helps to slow down my heart rate.

I haven't used my inhaler now for about a year, and then it was when I was getting a bit sick or had some allergies or something going on. Don't let it put you off - the more you do, the stronger your lungs will get and your lung capacity will improve.
  • PMarie29
    Options
    Yes. I have asthma that is triggered by cold temperatures, being sick, and the obvious exercise. I started c25k this October, and managed to do okay through week 6 or so without needing an inhaler. I just took it easy on my jogs and slowed down for my walks if I was having trouble breathing.

By week 6 though I had a virus I was fighting off, in addition to it getting colder... I found that two things helped my lungs when running. 1st off, I cover my mouth with a neck "gaiter" for the first 10-15 minutes or so. Once I've completely warmed up, the cold air actually feels refreshing in my lungs and doesn't hurt them most of the time. If I feel the asthma creeping up, I cover my mouth again.

Secondly, I pre-medicate with my fast acting inhaler about 10-15 minutes before my run. I've only done this for the last 6 weeks or so, and plan on stoping as soon as it starts warming up, to see if I need to continue it or not.

Between the two, I have managed to get to where I can jog for 40 minutes straight, with out stoping. Granted my pace is slow (just about a 13 minute mile), but I can do it!

My doctor says, keep running... as long as I don't try to break any records, and the lungs will eventually follow along and get stronger. In the mean time, keep it slow and walk or stop completely if you have to.

There are days where I have cried during my run because my legs feel great, I'm not cramping anywhere... but I feel as though my lungs are just holding me back.

My plan is to do the C25K, it looks like the best way to go. I use albuterol occasionally, but it makes me incredibly jittery and short of breath, so I tend to avoid it. I had never considered using a gaiter to cover my mouth in the cold (especially here in Colorado, great idea!), so I'll have to start that!
  • kticoulet
    kticoulet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have Exercise-induced asthma but it usually rears its ugly head when running. So I run/walk -- run 5 min. walk 1, over and over again. The walk helps bring my breathing under control. I'm super-slow anyway, so there's no chance of me winning any races. But this helps me to not need any inhalers.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Rather than running advice, I would like to say that power breathing and weight training has improved my lung capacity plus doing cardio like rowing and elliptical has improved heart function to the point where I am now starting the run-walk-run program.