Long term relationship ended...

Options
...struggling so hard not to neck a bottle of JD and munch my way through my weight in pringles and chocolate need some motivation guys!

Replies

• 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I hope it is for the better....and in that case, do what you need to do, allow yourself to be destructive, it is the nature of greiving, and get right back into it in a couple of days...totally legit to take time out....that said, I can imagine a good kickboxing class, or other crazy hard activity to take the emotional pressure off....
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Instead of wallowing, use this as a fresh start - new you! You need to be strong! :smile:
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Really sorry to hear that Kent guy. Happy for you to add me as a friend if you need some support x :)
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't!!!! you know you'll regret it as soon as you've finished the last pringle!! (although i wouldn't say no to a JD hehehe)
    get out of the house and hit the gym - endorphins :) and it'll keep you occupied
    You can get through this!!!

also - if it wasn't an amicable break up - revenge body!!

:flowerforyou:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Is the temporary fix of your favorite treats worth more than your long term health and fitness? If you answer no, then step away from the pringles, grab some water and go for a walk or hit the gym or do anything but sit around thinking about food.

If the answer is yes, you're in the wrong place ;)
  • siehatsdrauf
    siehatsdrauf Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for you :(
    If I were you I'd take a long bath, light some candles and maybe listen to music. Try to keep you busy!
  • darrenlees
    darrenlees Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that dude, it's gonna be tough over the next few weeks etc but dont give in, you have lost a lot already and if you stay on here and on track i'm sure you will get to your goal.

All the best!
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Exactly what nfrewin said....it's hard, but the answer isn't in food and drink, it's in focus, being occupied, endorphins, gym, hot body....
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't even think about doing that! Once you start-for any excuse-is it so much easier the next time, the next time, and soon, you will have gained it all back.
    Serious, go for a walk. All you need is 20 minutes, to get these thought's out of your mind.
    Hell, have sex, or *kitten* even. Can't believe I just wrote that, but MUCH more satisfying than eating crappy food.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Keep busy! Use the emotions you're feeling to exercise. Sorry you're having to deal with it! Make some new friends!!! Whole new start!
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's is so easy for someone to say, 'don't do it'. CRY IT OUT. Cry so god damn hard you think your eyes are going to fall out of your skull. Scream at the top of your lungs if your angry. ***** the *kitten* out in your head. Take a nice longggg hot shower or bath. Then when all that is done. If you are tired (which I would be) go to bed and sleep. Sleep will make it look just the tiniest bit better. Eat what you normally do and then find something, anything to distract you from the pain. Read a book, write to us (on second thoughts.. don't because some people can just be *kitten*), play video games, hang out with friends even though your feeling like the most miserable person in the world. SHOP. I love to shop when I'm horribly upset. Gonna buy me some pretty (inexpensive, cause I'm a cheap *kitten*) things to cheer me up. Pack a snack though, so you don't feel tempted to eat out. :)

With that being said. I really hope in a few months you start to feel better. Research says it'll take about six months for your grieving process to end.
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I know its very hard hunnie but be strong!! Its easier said than done but you need to focus on you now and get yourself to where you want to be!! See it as a new start of better things and a new you :) Everything happens for a reason, good and bad, just try and turn the bad into good. You will feel so much worse if you eat those pringles or drink that JD, do something positive instead, ul feel so much better for it. Just take it a day at a time too!! When my 8 yr relationship broke up, I had a good cry them promised myself id cry no more tears over that man, and i never did :) Iv come so far since and time is a fantastic healer!! :)
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this too at one point!

And one of my favourite quotes is "Success is the Greatest Revenge".

Let yourself feel what you need to feel, and mourn the end of your relationship. It was a big part of your life. You don't have to be okay with it right away. But also know that now you have double the time to focus on yourself and your individual happiness. Is there anything better than showing someone "this is what you're missing" but getting in the best shape of your life!?!

I feel like if you eat lots and just lay around for days (been there) you're really just letting the other person have a double win. If you pick yourself up and come out of this a better person, you're really doing something great for yourself :)
  • teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone it really means so much to have such a great group of friends on here and such a strong support group.

@snitch sex may be akward at this moment lol
  • bconder74
    bconder74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My upcoming divorce is one of the reasons I'm on MFP right now. I didn't like my body and wanted a change but couldn't get motivated. Sitting with the "elephant" in the room was too awkward. So I decided to use the negative energy for positive changes in my life. So instead of drinking and eating my sorrows away, I'm watching my calories and exercising. It has been very therapeutic.
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Playing darts with a dartboard with his/her picture over the bullseye, or beating on a punching bag with their picture on it sounds like a good way to get some hurt out.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, been there. It's such a terrible feeling.
    Here's what NOT to do (and pretty much what I did):
    - isolate yourself and spend every weekend alone
    - ignore friends when they call
    - don't reach out to anyone
    - deny yourself food for a week or two, then binge
    - spend hours and hours finding the saddest songs on YouTube and periodically post them on Facebook
    - cry every morning on the way to work
    - get in lengthy, bitter email arguments with your ex
    - talk about them nonstop the few times you actually socialize with good friends
    - talk *kitten* about them and give TMI to acquaintances at work

So, yeah. Do the opposite of that and be completely levelheaded and healthy in your reaction to the breakup. You might be the first. :flowerforyou:

In all seriousness, channeling your energy into positive action is great if you can get there.
    Edit: WHEN you get there.
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this too at one point!

And one of my favourite quotes is "Success is the Greatest Revenge".

Let yourself feel what you need to feel, and mourn the end of your relationship. It was a big part of your life. You don't have to be okay with it right away. But also know that now you have double the time to focus on yourself and your individual happiness. Is there anything better than showing someone "this is what you're missing" but getting in the best shape of your life!?!

I feel like if you eat lots and just lay around for days (been there) you're really just letting the other person have a double win. If you pick yourself up and come out of this a better person, you're really doing something great for yourself :)

I agree with this, and probably not a lot will make you feel better right now but there's a lot of great advice on here. If my 9 year relationship hadn't ended when it did (as devastated as I was at the time) I wouldn't have met my husband and have had my 2 beautiful boys.
    Take time to grieve but try not to push that self destruct button, stay strong, you've some good support on here :flowerforyou:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that you are craving unhealthy foods because they essentially work as happy drugs. You can also get the same effects from exercise, but that requires a lot more intellectual effort. Hang in there and remember that this, too, shall pass!
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Allow your one cheat day but after that work your tail off to get the body you want and make sure he sees no matter who he goes to next that he downgraded from you since you look so good! Let looking good be your pay back!