do ellipitical machines help tone and lose weight?

i have several questions about ellipitical machines.....

1- do they JUST work out your lower body? or do you also see results in your midsection aswell?

2- do you lose weight with these? or do they just make you tone up?

3- have you seen any improvements using one?

i am just trying to tone up and lose 10 pounds... :) i currently do not exercise but i am thinking of buying one.. :) i looked online and i saw one for 250$ so very excited but i need to know everyhing about this machines results first lol...

thank you sooo much and i hope you are doing well today!!!

Replies

• lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    bump lol.... i need advice guys..
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I'd use the money on some dumbbells and run outside or buy a jump rope if you want to do cardio. Toning up is more or less accomplished by retaining fat-free mass (muscle and connective tissue, for example) through resistance training while reducing fat mass to expose the underlying muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Any machinery that increases cardio respiratory work will burn more calories. With a calorie deficit combined with exercise, you lose weight. "Toning" (really no such thing but for sake of argument) happens when you combine resistance training to "harden" up the muscle underneath. You may condition your leg muscles some from an elliptical, but it really doesn't do much for upper body.
    There's no short cut. Resistance train the whole body, cardio to improve cardio vascular health and calorie deficit to help burn fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    I'd give an ergo/rowing machine a try they work everything if you use them properly. If you don't know how to use one get someone at the gym to show you.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    I'd give an ergo/rowing machine a try they work everything if you use them properly. If you don't know how to use one get someone at the gym to show you.
    ill google it... lol
  • lovelyMYlovely
    hmmmm well i really wanted to try to see if i could lose the 10 pounds with the ellipitical machine.... that is just somethin i would enjoy doing rather than it feeling like a chore... but if it doesnt help me lose my belly idk what i should do
  • I LOVE the elliptical machine. It can help you lose weight but I'd suggest pairing it with something else. I usually run and use the elliptical machine. And the elliptical has done wonders for my calf and butt muscles, haha. It can also get your heart rate up, especially if the resistance is quite high.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    hmmmm well i really wanted to try to see if i could lose the 10 pounds with the ellipitical machine.... that is just somethin i would enjoy doing rather than it feeling like a chore... but if it doesnt help me lose my belly idk what i should do

You lose body fat by creating a calorie deficit. This is accomplished by eating less food and/or exercising so that you burn more calories than you eat.

Ellipticals will definitely add to you calorie deficit.

But to "tone" you need resistance/weight training. "Toning" (I hate that word, lol) is building the muscle so it appears more firm as ninerbuff above said. Ellipticals will help you lose the fat so you see the muscle hiding underneath, but if you want to build muscle aka "tone" you need to apply resistance through weight training. Ellipticals are meant for cardio only to increase your calorie deficit.
  • Spend $250 on sessions with a personal trainer, home ellipticals are nonsense.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    I use elliptical 7 days per week. I walk 60 minutes on Precor 546 at maximum setting of incline of 20 and resistance of 25. I am 50 years old and my target heart rate should be 138. When I started my exercise routine 18 months ago, my heart rate was just over 161 BPM. Today I my heart rate is 130 for the entire 60 minute workout. I burn around 1000 calories and walk 4.2 miles (that's what the machine shows)

In result, I am down 77 pounds and back to my college size clothes of 30 size weight.

Wait, what was your question?
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    i have an elliptical and love my machine. but i also have a pricey gym model. dont waste the 250 on one! the cheap ones break quickly. my sister in law has already had to replace her cheap 300 model in a week. i have a large amount of weight to lose and i only use the elliptical. 25 pounds in less then a month. but if your only looking to lose 10, then im not sure if you would get the same results i have so far.
  • I bought a treadmill two weeks ago online, I go running/jogging on it everyday at least for 2hours, I completed a 65miles jog last week in a week. I weighed my self yesterday and I lost 5kg in a week. I will advise you to buy it, but you need to put a lot of hard work and determination to get a result, because some times it gets boring
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    ellipitical in my opinion is the best cardio machine to burn fat. It also is easy on the joints and burns good kcals
  • Ellipticals are a great way to increase your heart rate which in turn helps you to burn calories. From there you have a simple math problem to do. Take your calorie intake for the day (say 1800 calories) subtract your Daily Caloric Expenditure (how many calories your body burns naturally in a day - see this website to calculate: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php . Now subtract how many calories you burn on in your work out. If your answer is a negative number, than congratulations - you are on your way to loosing pounds of fat. It only takes a loss of 3,500 calories to loose 1 lb.
    Ellipticals are also wonderful because you can set the resistance and this will make your calf, leg & butt muscles work. That sore feeling you get after a workout? That means your muscles are growing. However, an elliptical machine is not a full body work out. If you want to look strong and be strong - not MUSCULAR, just healthy... you need to incorporate other excersizes. Take a pilates class, swim laps, follow a workout DVD, or just get a mat and find some excersizes to do at home.
    Bottom line, whether you want to loose 100 lbs or just 10, it's not easy. You will have to work for it. You will have tough days, and you will not always be motivated. If you are not certain that you are commited enough to put in the energy, then I would suggest waiting to buy an elliptical, because all you will have to show for your $250 are a too snug pair of jeans, and an expensive coat rack.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member

Exercise alone will not lose the fat. Calorie deficit does that (cutting calories from the food you consume), exercise gets the heart and body fit. If you want muscle tone, then start lifting weights.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    get a basic weights program from your gym.
    start going to a "body pump" class.

If you want to "tone", you want to be lifting weight.
  • Ellipticals are a great way to increase your heart rate which in turn helps you to burn calories. From there you have a simple math problem to do. Take your calorie intake for the day (say 1800 calories) subtract your Daily Caloric Expenditure (how many calories your body burns naturally in a day - see this website to calculate: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php . Now subtract how many calories you burn on in your work out. If your answer is a negative number, than congratulations - you are on your way to loosing pounds of fat. It only takes a loss of 3,500 calories to loose 1 lb.
    Ellipticals are also wonderful because you can set the resistance and this will make your calf, leg & butt muscles work. That sore feeling you get after a workout? That means your muscles are growing. However, an elliptical machine is not a full body work out. If you want to look strong and be strong - not MUSCULAR, just healthy... you need to incorporate other excersizes. Take a pilates class, swim laps, follow a workout DVD, or just get a mat and find some excersizes to do at home.
    Bottom line, whether you want to loose 100 lbs or just 10, it's not easy. You will have to work for it. You will have tough days, and you will not always be motivated. If you are not certain that you are commited enough to put in the energy, then I would suggest waiting to buy an elliptical, because all you will have to show for your $250 are a too snug pair of jeans, and an expensive coat rack.

Myfitnesspal calulates everything for you, it is rather the point of the site to calculate you BMR, TDEE, macros, etc.etc.

Ellipticals are a full body workout, see those handles where your hands go, you can push with your arms or pull and let the legs have a rest.

Look strong and be strong but not muscular. OMG WTF.

Right, I am off before I LOSE my tongue by biting through it. See that, it's LOSE.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    pipped to the post by [notthatthis]
    When I've used elliptical machines before they've had big levers for your hands to pull on, you can get a decent burn using your arms to augment your legs.
    If i do a 'sprint' on the eliptic my arms are burning almost as much as my legs. So i guess there must be some merit wrt upper body workout.
    Legs burned out? ease up on the legs and use more arm.

Obviously it's no replacement for a strength program, but just seems odd that nobody's mentions this.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    I'd use the money on some dumbbells and run outside or buy a jump rope if you want to do cardio. Toning up is more or less accomplished by retaining fat-free mass (muscle and connective tissue, for example) through resistance training while reducing fat mass to expose the underlying muscle.

this... plus you can do so much more with weights and you can incorporate them into a circuit. and you can do body weight exercises for cardio.
  • Technically you can do so much more with resistance bands than with dumbbells, certainly at the weight level that most people would consider buying especially on a budget. A TRX90 is possibly the best investment for home use; possibly.