Best things to eat at Chinese restaurant

Options
Going to be taking our secretaries out today at Chinese restaurant and wondering if anyone has any tips on best things to eat.

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    hmmmm that's a tough one! MaYBE Beef and brocoli? or Won Ton ?

I dont' know ... I Freaking love chinese food! lol but I can't think of anything that's good for you ... maybe try http://www.nutritiondata.com/ ? see if they have any recommendations ?
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would order something with lots of veggies and tell them no sauce thats were the cals really add up, then put a bit of low sodium soy sauce on it when you get it , it will still taste good and leave you not feeling bad :)
  • akgrant
    akgrant Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ask if they have brown rice instead of white, a lot of chinese restaurants have it available. Get anything with stir fried veggies but ask for the sauce on the side, that way you can control how much salt...oops, sauce you get! :flowerforyou:
    To make it real healthy, ask for steamed tofu with the veggies instead of chicken or fried tofu but if that is a little too much, get the chicken!

Stay away from anything fried and breaded and drink plenty of water!! Have fun at lunch!:bigsmile:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    The flowers on the table? :laugh:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want when I go out. I just try to eat much less of it than I would've before.

Lots of chinese restaurantas have a "lighter fare" type menu. You can usually get steamed chicken or tofu and mixed veggies & white rice with sauce on the side and no msg. That's the healthiest option (you can even ask if they have brown rice).

The BEST thing to get it something else entirely. Last Saturday I had Honey chicken. OMG *drool* Pretty much the most unhealthy thing on the menu. :laugh: (But hey, I broke my 3rd plateau this week!)
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the chinese restaurant you visit will offer, but our favourite one has a 'Chinese Hotpot' option - where you can cook your meal at your table in a light spicy broth. So then you can just pick the healthy (but still yummy!) options, like king prawns, fish, squid, pak choi etc...Tastes delicious and really low in calories.

Otherwise - just to echo everyone else, everything steamed is always going to be better than anything deep fried/battered etc.

But enjoy it! If it's a treat and not something regular, you can just adjust the rest of the week accordingly... :)
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just turned down Chinese food for lunch because it is way to tempting for me. Although ours does have Sushi bar which is sometimes healthier.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Although I'm not sure if it is actually Chinese food, many places will have spring rolls. I'm referring to the Vietnamese style ones that are not fried and contain usually chicken, lettuce, and shrimp wrapped in a steamed wonton (or something like that).. That's all I usually order b/c I could eat about every plate on the menu if I'm not careful!