Running when sick

Options
Hello,

I recently started running again and was making great progress. I have asthma but found pretreating before the run as well treating after the run was getting me through. Over the last 5 days I felt like I have been coming down with something, I have been trying to fight it off but I know it's coming on strong. My question is do I keep running or do I wait a week until I am better? (I have a history of Pneumonia as well) Mainly my fear is if I stop everything totally I will lose all my progress that I have literally battled for.

Any, tips, tricks, suggestions?

Thank you!

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body.
    I've always heard if it's above the neck (sniffles, head cold) go ahead but maybe scale back the intensity. If it's below the neck (productive cough signaling stuff in lungs, body aches, etc) take a few days off.

A few days off won't destroy what you've gained, but if you push through when your body needs rest it can increase your overall recovery time from the illness.

Feel better!
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great Megan thank you :)
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a few days of rest if it's bronchial. I made the mistake of pushing on and I ended up with severe bronchitis!
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Decided to cut back on all the cardio as it seems to be heading to the chest :/

I am instead focusing on meditation, pilates, and some weights :)
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Above the neck I run, below I don't. I just forced 2 days off on myself as I had achy muscles, nauseau etc. I "could" have ran, but I think I'd of made myself alot sicker!
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm also an asthmatic runner. When I'm feeling low in any way, I take time off. You won't lose that endurance unless you takes LOTS of time away. A week will not hurt you!