Soy Noodles-where to buy?

Options
I have been hearing a lot of stuff about soy noodles. They have 0 calories and are basically made out of soluble fiber while still tasting like pasta. I saw them on rachel ray and watched Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien use them for alfredo on the doctors show. So I was really wanting to try them as a no calorie pasta sub, BUT i cant find them anywhere!...except purchasing online. I was wondering if anyone has tried them (and if they are good/bad/what theyre like) and where anyone has bought/seen them.
Thanks!
:)

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Asian food market maybe?
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    I have heard about these noodles too, but have yet to find them.
    My friend says that if you look in the refrigerated section near produce in most natural food stores or hannafords you can find them.
    We live in the northeast, so not sure what is available where you are. Good luck!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I found them at my local ghetto (seriously ghetto) Asian market..... but I've heard they also have them at Target?

But yeah, my local Asian family owned market has them.

I liked them, just cooked them with some homemade beef and broccoli my mom had made me.... they tasted fine...

but word of warning.... they came out whole the next day in the toilet... kinda a scary sight to see LOL
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    I found them at my local ghetto (seriously ghetto) Asian market..... but I've heard they also have them at Target?

I liked them, just cooked them with some homemade beef and broccoli my mom had made me.... they tasted fine...

but word of warning.... they came out whole the next day in the toilet... kinda a scary sight to see LOL

OMG! That must be why they are zero calories! LOL
    Did they taste good? Just wondering if they are worth the buy...
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing that....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The ones that Hungry Girl uses aren't 0 calories. They're 20 calories per serving/40 calories per bag. The ones she uses are the House Tofu Shirataki Noodles and can be found in the grocery store wherever they sell the tofu and fake "meat" products. Typically there is a small section in the produce area that will have all of the tofu, wonton wrappers, scary fake bacon, etc. The noodles will be there in plastic bags. The noodles are packed in water inside the bags and the bags are only about 7 inches long and about 3 inches wide, so much smaller then your traditional bag of noodles.

I find the only version I can stand is the angel hair version. The spaghetti and Alfredo shapes/sizes are too fat and no matter how dry you get them or how well they're cooked they still have a weird, spongey snap when you bite into them. With the angel hair, they're so thin you don't really get that. I drain 'em, squeeze 'em, nuke 'em for a minute, dump 'em back into the strainer and squeeze some more. Wrap 'em in a couple paper towels to soak up more liquid and squeeze 'em as hard as I can to strain the water through the paper towel as well. Once I've gotten 'em as dry as possible, I take my clean kitchen shears and snip 'em into little pieces. I really cut 'em well, even when I think I've got 'em all cut, I cut some more. And, finally, I make sure to throw them in the pan with whatever I'm cooking to go with them to get them fully dried out and cooked through.

And make sure to season the dish well, since they're just tofu they absorb everything, including flavor, like little tofu black holes and if you don't season the dish well then it will taste like you didn't season it at all.
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    hm, that sounds like a lot of squeezing lol....i wonder if the soy noodles taste better than shirataki.
    when i went to the grocery store i was looking for them and egg roll wrappers (which have allllways been next to the spinach and mushrooms in my grocery store) and all of a sudden they werent there! idk where they moved them too, but maybe if i can find them i will find the noodles right next to them. thanks!
  • carolcollisongagnon
    Options
    I have been eating them for year,, taste the same as reg pasta,, i dont like the rice pasta,,cause they get slimy when cookin, and cloudy,,i got them from my local bulk food store,, BUT no longer selling them,,so let me know if any one finds them..
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I've found shirataki at Lowes Foods / Whole Foods here in NC. Both have had soy as well. Consider Amazon as well?
  • amjmom
    amjmom Posts: 32
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are in the produce section of my supermarket. In an area where they have the tofu items.....
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Don't you chew your food?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot of stuff about soy noodles. They have 0 calories and are basically made out of soluble fiber while still tasting like pasta. I saw them on rachel ray and watched Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien use them for alfredo on the doctors show. So I was really wanting to try them as a no calorie pasta sub, BUT i cant find them anywhere!...except purchasing online. I was wondering if anyone has tried them (and if they are good/bad/what theyre like) and where anyone has bought/seen them.
    Thanks!
    :)
    Tofu noodles. I get them at Whole Foods. They say shirataki on the package, but aren't the same glassy yam noodles. They DO taste better.
    This is the brand Whole Foods sells: http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Shirataki-Noodles-Fettuccine-Shape/dp/B003GMFAWM/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1358861773&sr=1-2

My ghetto organic market has them too.