Tofu Shirataki noodles; what are they?

Options
I was watching "Hungry Girl" the other morning, and she made a casserole using Tofu Shirataki noodles. They are basically a pasta substitute made out of tofu and the root of a Japanese yam with only 40 calories per BAG. They come "pre-cooked", and all you have to do is drain them and heat them up in whatever way you want.

What I need to know is;
how do I store them?
Can I freeze them and thaw them?
Will they spoil if kept in the fridge?
What sauces go best with them?
Do they actually taste good or are they UNBEARABLEY funny tasting?

Seriously, if these things are as great as they sound, I am so ready to track down a store that has them! Any tips will help!

-Kay

Replies

• GrEyedRose
    GrEyedRose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    FIrst off they smell kinda fishy so you need to rinse them before using them

Second, they have a rubbery texture that is not altogether unpleasant, but different then pasta.

They stay good in the fridge for awhile. I have never tried to freeze them so I don't really know about that

They are great with any sauce you use with pasta, I have also used them with Asian sauces as well. They will soak up the flavor of the sauce but the sauce itself does not usually stick to it as well as it does with pasta.

I like the taste once I got used to the texture.
  • kwseneca
    Options
    FIrst off they smell kinda fishy so you need to rinse them before using them

Second, they have a rubbery texture that is not altogether unpleasant, but different then pasta.

They stay good in the fridge for awhile. I have never tried to freeze them so I don't really know about that

They are great with any sauce you use with pasta, I have also used them with Asian sauces as well. They will soak up the flavor of the sauce but the sauce itself does not usually stick to it as well as it does with pasta.

I like the taste once I got used to the texture.

Awesome. Yes, I heard the smell "rinses" off. I really want to try them. If you find any information on freezing them, I would appreciate it because I know they are hard to find around my area. I will probably end up driving an hour to get them, and I don't want to waste my time and money going back and fourth! Thanks :)
  • darkfitandlovely
    Options
    If you find any information on freezing them, I would appreciate it because I know they are hard to find around my area. I will probably end up driving an hour to get them, and I don't want to waste my time and money going back and fourth! Thanks :)
    [/quote]

I don't think you will need to freeze them. I'm pretty sure the shelf life for them in the refrigerator is about a year. Last time I purchased them I recall them lasting a really long time. I got them from a local farmer's market grocery store called Sprout's. It's called Sunflower in other regions.
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Thanks! Every bit of information really helps. :)
  • SASSYSMOM55
    Options
    They are amazing you can do almost anything with them.. Dont know about freezing?? They dont last long enough in my house to freeze them :0) I make everything even put them in soups..
    The reason i started using them was being diabetic there is no blood sugar spikes hardly any carbs and now that I am writing this i forgot to get them at the market yesterday... Darn !!!
    Hope you try them they really are low carb friendly

Sharon