Gaining? I don't get it!!!!

Options
I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself everyday b/c it fluctuates however. My diary is open. MFP set my calorie intake at 1230. I upped it since I was hungry and everyone told me to on here... I've been doing P90X and I jumped on the scale and it says I gained 1 1/2 lbs? WHAAAAT What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. Many people see a slight increase on the scale when they first start working out (note: I said increase, not gain. You're not gaining fat.). This is because your muscles aren't used to this so now they're holding on to water (glycogen) to repair your muscles. Remember to take measurements because the scale just shows how much you weigh, not what your body composition is.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. Many people see a slight increase on the scale when they first start working out (note: I said increase, not gain. You're not gaining fat.). This is because your muscles aren't used to this so now they're holding on to water (glycogen) to repair your muscles. Remember to take measurements because the scale just shows how much you weigh, not what your body composition is.

exactly this.

also, make sure you're eating enough. 1230 sounds really low.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Add more calories (Protein)
  • AZDewd223
    Options
    I recently went through the same thing and was told the same response that you got. Muscles are holding onto water as I begin to work out again. I am not fitness guru, but that makes sense. I like the comment above about "increasing and not gaining"...that one hit home with me! Hang in there!! You are doing great!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue with doing P90X. My advise would be to ignore the scale all together.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you accept that important fact - that your weight fluctuates. Not just say "I know it fluctuates but..." It fluctuates. That's why you're up half a pound. If your logging is accurate, there's no way you've gained half a pound of fat. It's likely water retention from the exercise you're doing.
  • aprilelayne
    aprilelayne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I experiences this last week which was my first solid hard-core week with working out.
    The scale jumped 1-2lbs and stayed high everyday, I followed program perfectly and gave solid workouts for 5days in a row. I earned my rest days!
    And this morning after my two days of rest (no high intensity training, just strength) my swelling and soreness went down and the scale finally showed the loss.

Keep at it, the benefits in muscle and heart health will be first...the scale will show it later!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Patience is the biggest thing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself everyday b/c it fluctuates however. My diary is open. MFP set my calorie intake at 1230. I upped it since I was hungry and everyone told me to on here... I've been doing P90X and I jumped on the scale and it says I gained 1 1/2 lbs? WHAAAAT What am I doing wrong?

MFP has not set that at all read your own diary, it's adding in your exercise calories as it is supposed to and you are undereating. Try eating a more balanced nutitious diet, right now your food intake loos low in a raft of nutrients. Eat nine servings of fruit and veg in the full rainbow of colours (you could have all nine this for about the same carbs as one banana or large apple), three servings of dairy a day, oily fish regularly, protein little and often from breakfast, sugary/ junky/ processed/ refined stuff no more than 10% daily calories. You also need far more fibre and mineral rich foods like beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you are looking to lose about 15lbs. I hope you didn't pick a 2lb/week loss. Also, i hope you didn't choose sedentary because you thought you'd lose faster.

Redo your #s - pick a 0.5-1lb/week loss and make sure you pick the correct activity level. Also, realize that MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back which you don't seem to do. So you are netting below 1200.

There are other alternatives to finding your TDEE if you like. Either way, make sure you give your body 2-3 weeks to adjust and rely on measurements rather than the scale.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For those eating below their BMR (which I think 1200 is below your BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known?page=1#posts-12919931

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.