too much too soon? advice needed

Options
Stupid as it may seem im a bit worried im losing weight too quick. Ive been on mfp for juat over 3 weeks and ive lost 11lb. Which has shocked me alot.
my goal is 1200 calories a day and im always over that i eat but the exercise i do makes my net below that. So almost every day im below my calorie goal.
I eat back about half of my exercise calories but i struggle to eat them all. if im not hungry i dont feel like eating them back.
Obviously i want to lose weight and things are going in the right direction but i also dont want to be unhealthy.
Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• krystinaolsen
    krystinaolsen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is this your first time trying to lose weight by cutting calories/exercising? Or has it been a while since you've done a weight-loss regimen?

You may have lost much weight in a little time because you are losing "water weight". It's just excess fluid retention in your body that you're losing because you've kick-started your body into gear. You'll notice, as time goes on, that the weight loss will be a lot harder. Your body will start to work towards burning just fat, as you've rid yourself of excess water retention. Also - sometimes our bodies have been craving routine workouts and good eating patterns, so our metabolism wakes up! Maybe yours woke up pretty well, in combination with the "water weight" loss.

Here is a link that better explains water retention: http://www.livestrong.com/article/392043-what-is-water-weight-loss/

Hope that helps! Keep up the great work ... and make sure you don't overwork your body too fast. Ease into a routine, and your body will thank you for it! :-)
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found that drinking milk helps bump up caloric intake and gives my some extra protein.
  • Janey142
    Janey142 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you lose the most at the start of any diet, its water retention most likely. when i was on weightwatchers I lost 10.5 pounds in 3 weeks but then started losing just 1 pound a week after that.
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    when you first start losing weight, a lot of time its waterweight.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    great job
  • kwilkins2975
    Options
    I am in the middle of my 3rd week and I lost 8.7 pounds in the first 2 weeks. At first I was worried also that I was losing to much. I will wait to see this week what the loss is. I do believe that it is the water retention that we are losing so fast. Keep up the good work!
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have a major change in diet, the first 2 weeks you usually lose a lot more and then it slows down. There is nothing wrong with losing a lot in the first week or two, but after that it should be slow and steady. great job though. x
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I dropped the first 50lbs in 4 months... The next 50lbs took 8 months (100lbs in a year). It's pretty normal to lose quickly when you start. At the 3 week mark I had lost 13.8lbs. Enjoy it but don't get discouraged when it slows down or stops...that too is normal and you just need to keep going! Good luck on your adventure!
  • lauralouw91
    lauralouw91 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) glad to know im not actually starving myself.

so if what ive lost is water weight will it come back on? or will my weight loss just slow down if i continue doing what im doing
  • krystinaolsen
    krystinaolsen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That water weight shouldn't come back on, unless you stop your routine for a while. You will just continue to lose weight at a slower pace. But don't give up when those numbers are low! You're body is still working just as well as these first few weeks ... it just has less to work with! :-) (And that, my friend, is a great thing!) Check in with all of us again in the next few weeks - would love to hear how you're doing!