Is anyone else like me?

Options
5pgyzd.jpg

For awhile now (about a year, maybe two), I've been a restrictive eater. It is, in fact, a type of Eating disorder that not many people to be as one...Well, it is. Not many people see it as one because they do eat, but are strict about what they allow themselves to eat or consume (liquids also). What they consume may be healthy choices but the amount of these healthy choices could be more than what they have. They use diet foods like non fat or low fat yogurts, cheeses, milk, take out egg yolks, ect. Even sugar must be from a sweetener like Stevia. They are afraid to treat themselves and if they do, they feel as if they did something horrible and they must count it. Feeling of anxiety and then mood swings after consuming whatever it was they ate that made them feel so bad.

They count every single macro, every single calorie and they must stay within a certain percentage/range. They also need to eat a certain times. For example, they always think about when their next meal is going to be, how they are going to eat it, where, track what goes into their meal or snack ahead of time to make sure it's OK for them to consume, eating alone, ect. They may also take laxatives to help with bowel movements due to lack of important nutrients that keeps everything moving and the body to function to it's fullest. Sometimes it's also to make them less bloated looking because it looks like more fat gain when in reality, it is water retention and bloat.

If the family prepares a meal, they must count everything. They weigh everything if they have a food scale, they must check packages when others aren't looking, if MFP or any other calorie counter does not have a certain item in the database then they must create it, no matter how big or small it is. They become anxious and stressed if they are unable to count something and end up avoiding that food altogether. If they cannot measure or weigh something (out with friends), they either avoid eating or drinking anything or they take an "educated" guess at how many calories and macros there are. Usually, they are way off and think of numbers that are way higher than it actually is, making it even harder to consume, so they only take a tiny bite or small sip when in fact, they could have enjoyed the whole thing or at least half.

I've been trying to "recover" from having such a restrictive eating behavior but it has been proving difficult for me to do on my own. My amazing boyfriend is trying to help me and I love the fact that he is doing this for me, but I am now starting to think that I need to see someone for this. I also do not think that my family knows just how bad I can get. Some days are better than others....where i think I'm getting better, but then something triggers it to become worse. I have tried to leave MFP completely and it was going well for a little while, but I still tried to count everything. I still made sure the portions were the same amount when I was using MFP - because of memory of how the measurements looked when I knew the nutrition facts. I thought I was eating more but when in reality....I was not. I think it only felt that way because I wasn't constantly looking at the numbers after logging everything in. I came back after some months has passed because I thought I was ready to see higher numbers (calories, fat, carbs, sugar, ect), but I obviously wasn't....I got sucked in again.

Here is a list from a site I found about this ED that covers pretty much everything I go through or experience:

"How do you identify a restrictive eating disorder? Because it is a neurobiological condition, it is the mindset you are forced to adopt towards food that is most telling.

1. Family and friends have shifted from congratulating you on your weight loss and/or your healthier choices to making either careful or even blunt comments that you look too thin, sick, or generally don’t seem to eat enough.
2. You are cold when others are not. You’ve started wearing sweaters when others are in short-sleeves. Sometimes you feel light-headed, dizzy. Other times you feel foggy-headed – like you are listening to others through cotton wool.
3. You are tired and find your mind wanders. You struggle to focus in class or at work. You cannot remember things that others remember easily.
4. You are prone to crying spells and/or explosive bouts of anger (more so than what might be usual). You alternate between wanting to be alone, snapping at family and then finding you are clingy and needy, seeking reassurance from loved ones.
5. Not only do you find it hard to concentrate, but also you find you are absolutely consumed with thoughts of food. When you will eat. What you will eat. What you won’t eat.
6. Facing social circumstances that involve food creates panic: family celebrations, lunches with friends at school, holiday times…in the days leading up to such events you feel extremely anxious and spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to avoid it altogether.
7. The number of rules you assign to when and how will eat keeps getting longer. You have become ritualistic to the point where any deviance causes massive anxiety (the wrong plate, the fork in the wrong place…).
8. You have longer and longer lists of forbidden foods that you will not touch.
9. If you indulge in any food that you consider unacceptable, you are wracked with shame, self-hatred, loathing and usually ‘punish’ yourself for the transgression (exercising to exhaustion, skipping yet another meal)
10. As a woman, your regular menstrual cycle is irregular or has disappeared completely. Whether you are a woman or man you notice your skin appears dull and dry. Your hair and nails are brittle and perhaps your hair loss seems more pronounced than usual (clumps in the bathtub drains or on your brush).
11. You find yourself promising yourself and others more and more that “tomorrow” will be different. But it isn’t.
12. You lie to loved ones about what you ate that day, or about how much you actually exercised and make excuses for why you cannot eat now. If they are friends, you often fabricate food allergies, intolerances or other reasons why you cannot have the particular item being offered.

If the Telltale Dozen seem to ring true, then your next step is to determine whether these behaviors are impinging on your quality of life. If you feel you are missing out and are suffering, then it is time to seriously consider a recovery effort."

358sydd.jpg

Even after putting the site into my own words and in a shortened form, Here it is. It tells a lot more and in greater detail:

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/13/phases-of-recovery-from-restricted-eating.html

And some others I'll add:

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html

http://health.uvic.ca/self-help/OvercomingRestrictiveEating.html

http://eatingdisorderfreedom.wordpress.com/tag/restrictive-eating/

And this is a serious topic. I am debating whether or not to tell my parents through a note and tell them to read all the sites I've found, or try to deal with this myself. What made me really concerned was my muscle loss, fat gain, hair loss, loss of period, dry skin, mood swings, brittle nails, foggy headed, dizzy spells, easily bloated or holds onto water easier, loss of strength, sore joints and body aches, sits a lot, numbness of the fingers and toes to the point they go pitch white and tingle, a bit of extra body hair, ect. The hair loss is getting worse or at least it is not getting any better.

I know most, if not, all of you are going to say Doctors which is expected, of course, but I wanted to share this to see if anyone else is going through this and how they dealt or how they are currently dealing with it. Did you go see your Doctor? What did they do, what did they say? How long did it take you to recover? How much fat did you gain during recovery and how long did it take you to burn it off and rebuild lost muscles? Did your hair grow back? Did your period return, and if yes, how long did it take to come back? I just want to be educated as much as possible for I am now concerned. This is not only for how I look and to get out of this "skinny-fat" body, but I want to feel better again...like I use to. I look back at pictures from a year and two ago and think to myself..."Why did I think this was fat? Why did I hate my hair so much? Was I really that blind?"

Thank you for taking the time to read this or at least skim through it for the most important points...although, ALL of it IS important.

sdinf6.jpg
^
My face after seeing all the numbers in my meal (like pasta...)

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    *fires up HAL* BRB.
  • tattoogrrl28
    Options
    I've had an ED since I was a teenager, and restrictive eating was certainly part of it at times. My doctor made a comment once that because I have OCD, restrictive eating is a double whammy. It's second nature for me to obsess about counting calories and having to eat at certain times and in certain ways. It's probably the hardest part of my ED to recover from. I struggle with that still.

I have no helpful words of advice. My OCD meds actually seem to help with it kind of. But I'm here if you need to talk or vent. Good luck. It sucks, I know.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Interesting. From the beginning of last year, I started looking at calories and macros as I was trying to reduce my BF% but without counting - just trying to eat the low cal, high protein stuff. I then joined MFP to more accurately log everything, and IIRC I was aiming for about 1500. At this point, I realised it was a thin line between being careful with what you eat and having an ED. My therapist training made me realise that if I did have any emotional issues, I could be pushed over the edge - I recognise some of the traits you described eg counting/estimating when eating out but none of the "emotionally-fueled" ones. "Luckily", I was able to focus on what I was trying to achieve and how best to achieve it, whilst noting what was happening to my body. Hence my decision to increase to 1700 then 1900 (still with the goal of reducing BF%). I still estimate when eating out, though, for instance and still avoid high calorie foods unless I have a reason to eat them eg to make up for not having eaten enough calories before a training session.

So I understand your post. I also recommend seeking the help of a professional if you feel you have an ED.

Additionally, I notice in other threads, people posting about bingeing or being worried/scared about some social event making them put on weight etc. Again, these are emotionally-fueled issues which would make me question the underlying reason for this fear or craving. To make a comparison, whilst it's ideal that in the blink of an eye I achieve my goals, I do find it interesting to experiment with different ideas (low carb, increasing calories, endurance vs HIIT, lifting heavy vs hi reps) and if I gain fat, I'll know for future reference what something will do to me - no fear or worry.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Interesting. From the beginning of last year, I started looking at calories and macros as I was trying to reduce my BF% but without counting - just trying to eat the low cal, high protein stuff. I then joined MFP to more accurately log everything, and IIRC I was aiming for about 1500. At this point, I realised it was a thin line between being careful with what you eat and having an ED. My therapist training made me realise that if I did have any emotional issues, I could be pushed over the edge - I recognise some of the traits you described eg counting/estimating when eating out but none of the "emotionally-fueled" ones. "Luckily", I was able to focus on what I was trying to achieve and how best to achieve it, whilst noting what was happening to my body. Hence my decision to increase to 1700 then 1900 (still with the goal of reducing BF%). I still estimate when eating out, though, for instance and still avoid high calorie foods unless I have a reason to eat them eg to make up for not having eaten enough calories before a training session.

So I understand your post. I also recommend seeking the help of a professional if you feel you have an ED.

Additionally, I notice in other threads, people posting about bingeing or being worried/scared about some social event making them put on weight etc. Again, these are emotionally-fueled issues which would make me question the underlying reason for this fear or craving. To make a comparison, whilst it's ideal that in the blink of an eye I achieve my goals, I do find it interesting to experiment with different ideas (low carb, increasing calories, endurance vs HIIT, lifting heavy vs hi reps) and if I gain fat, I'll know for future reference what something will do to me - no fear or worry.

I'm actually really scared of gaining anymore fat, but most of these sites says during recovery, it's mostly water retention from the healing process and bloat. there may be a small amount of fat gain due to slower metabolism, but it should return to it's natural state after recovery and it will come off again.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I'm actually really scared of gaining anymore fat, but most of these sites says during recovery, it's mostly water retention from the healing process and bloat. there may be a small amount of fat gain due to slower metabolism, but it should return to it's natural state after recovery and it will come off again.

If you have an ED, worrying about weight should be low on your list of priorities. An ED (like other emotional issues) is an outward expression of an internal issue. Focus on being happy with who you are, then looking after your body, and then achieving whatever fitness goals you have. That would be my plan, anyway.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

If you have an ED, worrying about weight should be low on your list of priorities. An ED (like other emotional issues) is an outward expression of an internal issue. Focus on being happy with who you are, then looking after your body, and then achieving whatever fitness goals you have. That would be my plan, anyway.

Actually, that's kind of wrong....they worry about weight a lot...

Or wait.......i think i read that wrong.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    :D

Yes, I mean while they do worry about it a lot, they should be focusing on the underlying reasons for their worry. Any decent therapist would examine the underlying reasons and help you to work through these root causes.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Bump
  • ZTazlor
    ZTazlor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you a member of a gym?
    Maybe if you could find someone that has some kind of experience with various health related disorders, they may be of a more gentle mindset than an immediate family member or friend and be able to navigate around the problem while helping with solutions.

I know that even though they don't mean to, friends and families can be too blunt with their opinions of things, which can in turn make it harder to cope. (unfortunately, I am one of these kinds of people).

I am lucky that I don't suffer from an ED, so maybe my response is just ignorant...but i can understand how easily i could slip into this kind of situation.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You've basically described where I am right now. I have lost my period, my hair has started to thin, and I've had a loss of strength. The thing is, I didn't do this to myself on purpose. I work out a lot (I'm training for a 5k) and I just wasn't eating enough for the amount of calories I was burning. I had been going without a HRM for a majority of my weight loss, and severely underestimating the amount of calories I was burning during my runs. Therefore, I was eating at a dangerously low caloric deficit.

Unlike you, I haven't gained any fat. In fact, I'm probably around 17-18% BF right now. I think this has to do with the fact that I lift weights three times a week.

So, yeah, I was a ****ing idiot. I ****ed up.

But! I have a plan to fix it.

First, I talked to my doctor. I have a bone density scan scheduled this month and I've started eating back ALL of my exercise calories. I pre-log all my food choices, because although it may seem counter intuitive, I find it easier to eat more when I know my sum total of calories for the day. I'm starting to allow myself more calorie dense foods, and eating small snacks throughout the day. I also upped my calcium requirements to 200% of a normal daily value to help prevent more bone loss, and reduced my fiber consumption to help facilitate calcium absorption.

I also told my mother. It's important to have someone other than yourself to be accountable to. Having her there to remind me of the health risks helps keep me on track.

One of the most important things that I have to keep reminding myself of is that as human being we love to make exceptions for ourselves. I remember looking in the mirror and telling myself that the loss of my period couldn't be as serious at the internet made it out to be. "I'm sure I'll be fine!" I would say in my head. Then I remembered a quote from a little movie you might have seen, "You are not a special snowflake." I am not a special, nature does not make exceptions for me, and health problems will not magically go away just because I want them to.

I haven't gotten my period back; I'm still at the BF% of a female athlete; and I still lose more hair in the shower than I used to; however, I have taken steps to correct these problems. It's good that you've realized that you have a problem, but if you do not take the appropriate measures to fix it, then your awareness is useless. You are not a special snowflake, this will not go away on its own, and your going to need help. Tell your parents, tell your doctor, tell yourself.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's a fine line between logging your food and watching what you eat and crossingover into ED territory. As a result of being diagnosed with Crohns in 2011, i've definitely become a little neurotic about food because I never really know what is going to trigger it until its too late, then it usually takes probably 2 weeks of super careful eating to and meds to get things reasonably under control. My neurotic tendencies tend to center around eating out. My husband rarely eat out because we're vegetarian and there's not a lot of healthy vegetarian option where we live. I had a 3 day business trip in October & I literally brought all of my own food because I didn't know what kind of food the conference would be serving. Lately, I've been making a genuine effort to not freak out in my mind when I have to eat somewhere.

I'm sorry for all that you're going through. As women, so much emphasis gets placed on our appearances that we can definitely put a lot of pressure on ourselves that we don't need to. I think you should definitely seek medical & psychological help, preferably from a female doctor (In my experience, male doctors always tend to chalk up everything to horomones). Thats great that your boyfriend is being so supportive. I also think it would be a good idea to tell your mom-so many EDs are shrouded in secrecy which just seems to magnify the problems. Good luck in your journey! You can totally do this!!!!!!!!
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    Thank you, everyone who has commented and replied