Fruit - sugar content

I am consistantly going over my daily allowance of sugar, and it appears to be down to the amount of fruit I am eating. A typical day consists of 20-30 red grapes, an apple, a banana and 1 or 2 satsumas. Do I need to cut back on the fruit or not?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Loads of threads on this if you run a search, including a discussion just yesterday on which are the most and least sugary fruits. Try eating more vegetables.
  • I was going to ask a similar question as it's something that's been bothering me too! I've decided that if it's natural sugar (i.e. from fruits) then it's alright :-) I just try not to be put off by the big reed negative marks on my diary! (It really does annoy me how we can't change that because in some cases I might go about 10% over my vitamin C, which isn't going to do me any harm whatsoever! But it makes it look like a bad thing and my diet plan is heading out the window!) Of course if it's artificial sugar, we are allowed a certain amount but it is this stuff that turns to fat in our bodies etcetc :3
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Recently, I've been reducing my fruit intake and sticking to no more than 1-2 low sugar fruits like berries or grapefruit. Yesterday I didn't have any fruit. Guess what? All of my sugar/simple carb cravings are gone! I swear, I will never touch another apple ever again. I can maybe have the occasional 1/2 a grapefruit but I'm SO much better off without it. You can find all of the same micronutrients in vegetables but with much less sugar.

TL; DR: eat less fruit
  • Brighamy
    Brighamy Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the replys. Just been into tesco, and bought a bag of sugarsnap peas and a bag of carrot batons to munch on - certainly more filling than my fruit on a volume basis!