Workout Question

Options
My treadmill stop working last night. I don't have the money to buy a new one and can't afford a gym membership. What other good workouts can I do at home? I have a lot of weight to lose and I am doing a 5k in March. I am really needing a good way to burn calories. Thanks!

Replies

• JustMichelleB
    Options
    I see you are in Texas. It should be perfect running outdoors weather there right now.
    You can always find workouts On Demand as well.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Maybe at least once a week do a calisthenic routine that builds muscle, i.e. 30 push ups, 50 squats, 100 high knees (like running in place but with your knees lifted high up in front of you), 50 sit ups of some kind. Set your number, write them down and just do them. If you can only do 5 push ups at a time, do 5 push ups at a time until you reach 30, etc. Eventually, you will be able to do more at a time and it's a great feeling to see improvement in yourself. Then do 3 days of cardio, run outside, bike outside, do a dvd or workout that's on the computer or netflix or something. You get the idea. You might enjoy the variety, as well.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much! I will give it a try.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Check out YouTube - there's a ton of free workouts there :)
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for exercises with body weight or workout videos you can follow. Walking/running outside is good. I workout at home only but I have weights, bands, workout games for our wii and kinects and the elliptical which I'm rarely on now ironically.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Go outside and run.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go outside and run.
    ummm....this?!?!
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    <
    Runner
    I agree! Go run outside!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Go outside and run.
    Yup. You're close to Houston, and if the weather is anything there like it is here in Dallas, it's PERFECT running weather.

But, even when the weather takes a turn for the worse, I'd still recommend running outside. In my opinion, it's so much more energizing and refreshing as opposed to running indoors. But that's just my personal preference.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Plus, I guess the 5k you are doing in March is outside right?

Get an app like Runtastic, Endomondo or Zombies, Run! and go outside and have fun with it.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If you start lifting, you'll need some gloves, these might come in handy:

underwear-gloves.jpg
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    For Youtube Videos, FitnessBlender and Sparkpeople both have some great videos. And both post full length videos that you can follow along to, not just exercise demonstrations. Fitnessblender also has a link to their page that gives you a run down of the exercises in the video, as well as hints on how to make it either easier, or harder, depending on your fitness needs.

Bodyrock.tv is a great website as well. Their stuff is definitely for more intermediate or advanced exercises. Not to say a novice can't do them.
  • Mamax143
    Options
    youtube tae bo, works wonders!
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Maybe at least once a week do a calisthenic routine that builds muscle, i.e. 30 push ups, 50 squats, 100 high knees (like running in place but with your knees lifted high up in front of you), 50 sit ups of some kind. Set your number, write them down and just do them. If you can only do 5 push ups at a time, do 5 push ups at a time until you reach 30, etc. Eventually, you will be able to do more at a time and it's a great feeling to see improvement in yourself. Then do 3 days of cardio, run outside, bike outside, do a dvd or workout that's on the computer or netflix or something. You get the idea. You might enjoy the variety, as well.
    And when the weather is not good theres loads of things on you tube I like leslie sansones workouts simply because I do them when its me time in front of the telly I usually watch the odd half hour comedy so it fits in nicely I can easily do it while watching but I do add alot more arm movements with all her steps.
    or if I wanna target anything specific eg strength training or cardio tap it into google the you tube comes up with lots of alternatives
    whether you choose with equipment or with out. I hope you manage to find a routine that suits you
    good hunting