Food Inc. Documentary

mattle
mattle Posts: 14
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
For those interested, PBS is showing the documentary "Food Inc." online for free in its entirety through tomorrow evening (Thursday April 29th):

http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/photo_gallery_watch.php

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    The notice I received from Food Inc on Facebook said tonight was the last night. Such a great documentary. I own it and was so excited to see PBS airing it!
  • mattle
    I will be watching it tonight then. I have really been wanting to see it.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    It's a great show, I think they should show it in schools.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    It's a great show, I think they should show it in schools.

My Nutrition Prof. showed it in our class a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked and saddened by the monopoly our food industry in this country has become, by the mistreatment of both animals and farmers and an almost complete disregard for the health and safety of the public through regulations of factory farming. I remember when that little boy died, it was on the news, but I had no idea what his mother had been through since trying to crack down on those food safety issues. I agree that they should show it in highschool health or something.
  • mattle
    Just finished watching it. Powerful.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Here is a link to the post I started the first night it appeared on POV on PBS network:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/92563-food-inc-the-movie-an-eye-opener?hl=Food,+Inc#posts-1282813
  • I watched it in my Anthropology class and it really opened my eyes. I almost got up and walked out a few times because it made me so upset, but I knew I needed to keep watching to learn the truth. It's not always easy but it's worth knowing. We need to make an effort - even if its the tiniest - to become more self-sufficient and to pass this information to others.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I watched it in my Anthropology class and it really opened my eyes. I almost got up and walked out a few times because it made me so upset, but I knew I needed to keep watching to learn the truth. It's not always easy but it's worth knowing. We need to make an effort - even if its the tiniest - to become more self-sufficient and to pass this information to others.

Take baby steps. Start by using more fresh veggies in your menu; figure out 2 items of processed food that you can live without and don't buy them any more. Take a look around your area to figure out where you can get organically grown produce, and meat and poultry from outside the "Food, Inc" supply system, or consider getting your protein from non-animal sources.

If you have family members who balk at a dietary change, find ways to make change in such a way that they won't notice, or come up with options that taste similar to what they are used to but adhere to your newfound convictions. Good luck.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Check out eatwild.com for better food sources. I've been guilty lately of not choosing higher quality meats...I should watch Food Inc. again to kick my butt into gear.
  • red3367
    red3367 Posts: 11
    I just watched it. Holy crap! They have basically concentration camps for cows! I am going to go vegetarian. After watching that, I don't think I could eat another piece of beef or chicken.
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Food Inc is a great eye opener to the broken food system in our country. There are also some really great books out their that also look at the problem. I became a vegetarian (4 months in) after reading them and they seriously changed my way of thinking. The Food Revolution by John Robbins and anything by Michael Pollen. Great stuff. Another good movie to look at is King Corn.
This discussion has been closed.