I hate bananas

Options
I hate bananas. I see so many people put them in their smoothies and such but no matter what I put them in I can taste them. Is there an advantage to eating bananas?? All I see are the carbs and the sugar, two things I'm trying to stay away from. Do I need to eat them or does everyone eat them just because they like them.

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    you should not be avoiding fruit because of sugar IMO, but you don't have to eat bananas.

They go really well with vanilla protein powder in a protein shake though.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    bananas are probably one of the best fruits you can consume.. very nutrient dense then again all fruits give some sort of nutrition.. and all fruits have carbs and sugar, doesnt mean that carbs and sugar is bad.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a good source of potassium so they help with cramping... also, they're going extinct... so soon there will only be genetically modified bananas... I think there's like 2 years or so left.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them don't eat them.
  • links_slayer
    Options
    Bananas are a good source of potassium so they help with cramping... also, they're going extinct... so soon there will only be genetically modified bananas... I think there's like 2 years or so left.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/bananas.asp (it's on the interwebz so it has to be true)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    berries are about the most nutrient dense fruits. Apples and bananas are rather weak in their nutrient content compared to other fruits.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Please explain.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid fruit because of the sugar, but you don't have to eat something you dislike intensely either!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I like bananas but the sugar is too high for me, if I'm going to have that much sugar I'll have chocolate. They give me stomach pains and any nutrients in them can be received by other sources, so your life will not end if you don't eat bananas.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Theres plenty of other fruits and vegetables that you can eat. If your concerned about potassium have a potato or some white beans loaded with that stuff.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You have to avoid refined white sugar but you don't need to avoid fructose (sugar in fruits) like the plague. You should limit the amount though, but it is good for you. Any fruit is.
    Carbs are good for you as well, aim to cut high GI carbs and keep a healthy amount of low GI carbs in your diet for energy.
  • brooklynnbabyg
    Options
    I can not stand them either. When I make smoothies I just do ones with berries. I know a lot of people do bababas for the potassium, but, there are a lot of other foods that have it also.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Potassium.
  • links_slayer
    Options

Please explain.

If I don't like the taste of something I'm not going to eat it. Not that hard to comprehend......
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can not stand them either. When I make smoothies I just do ones with berries. I know a lot of people do bababas for the potassium, but, there are a lot of other foods that have it also.

Yeah, there are a ton of potassium rich foods... cantaloupe, white beans, tomatoes, raisins... just to name a few. If you don't like how they taste- you don't HAVE to eat them... but if you're avoiding them for carbs/sugar... that's not something you should be worrying about when it comes to fruit because they generally also have a lot of fiber.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ... also, they're going extinct... so soon there will only be genetically modified bananas... I think there's like 2 years or so left.

that's absurd
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of berries, so I will just stick to putting those in the smoothies and then eat more potatoes for the potassium. Thanks everyone!! I hated bananas when I was younger and haven't eaten them in about 5 years. I made a smoothie with one this morning and realized I still hate them lol
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Please explain.

If I don't like the taste of something I'm not going to eat it. Not that hard to comprehend......

Still not sure I get it
  • links_slayer
    Options

Please explain.

Still not sure I get it

That's okay. You will someday.