Calling all rock climbers: improving your climb

Options
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to rock climbing. I tried it back in August for 2-3 weeks, and after a really disastrous class, I didn't come back for 4 months. Now I'm picking it up again, and since I weigh considerably less, it's a little easier. However, I've still got a lot to lose (don't let my ticker fool you - I'm just waiting to hit my old MFP goal before I reset it) and climbing is still harder for me than it seems to be for anyone else.

I'm the most overweight person at my climbing gym, and while even the people in my old classes were scurrying up intros and 5.4s like it was nothing (with the instructor saying, "This one is basically like climbing a ladder!"), I have to work damn hard to get up a 5.4. It's kinda demoralizing. I'm trying to stick it out because I do enjoy it when I have a good climb, but I tend to leave the place feeling worse about myself than when I got there.

I know that the biggest factor is practice, but how else do you help yourself climb more successfully? Is there a workout you do to strengthen muscles you know you'll use? Since climbing requires having someone around to belay, is there anything you can do solo (outside the climbing gym or in it) to help you improve?

Is there any other climbing advice you'd give a frustrated newbie?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey there -

I'm not the best climber in the world either but here's what I do...

I climb at the indoor gyms in the winter to work on technique. Indoor climbing is A LOT harder than outdoor climbing.

I focus on legs, moving my body into the wall, stepping up instead of climbing up with my hands. Let your arms straighten out as much as possible. Making moves and then holding your arms bent engages your muscles and will get you tired quicker.

When I'm climbing a difficult wall or rock I try to climb in small sections to get to a rest point. If that's only 2 or 3 moves that's ok. You'll be a lot less tired.

I learn a lot by climbing with better climbers! It's expensive but a couple times a year try climbing with a really good guide. I know a few awesome ones based out of WV if you need a referral. There are also some areas where there are really awesome climbing communities. Where I live there's a Meetup group that gets together and climbs from time to time.

At the regular gym when I'm working on climbing related things, I work on grip strength, chest/back strength, flexibility and core. I do a lot more hanging than I do pullups.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I never would have thought that indoor climbing was harder than outdoor climbing - I'd decided that outdoor climbing wasn't in my future since I thought it would be way tougher. Good to know.

I appreciate the tips. I'll try to put more of them in practice the next time I go.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No problem. It was tough for me too and I'm used to being the least good climber in the group. You can't let it bother you!

Instructors will always tell you to step up because when you're using good technique that's exactly what you're doing :) You'll have an "aha-moment" and realize that when you least expect it. Learn how to trust your feet and stop depending on your hands.

Don't give up on yourself!!

If you have any questions or need a climbing shoulder to cry on feel free to message me or add me!
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ive just started back climbing myself.

Just keep trying. The more you do it the easier it becomes. Lots if pull ups, push ups, strength training will help but climbing is great at working everything!

My gym has some auto belays so I dont need a partner but when its busy I will bolder. Your only at most 3 feet off the ground. And climb accross the wall. My gym has a column that is a good challange to climb around. It helps develop you skills, strength, and callouss!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Some tips..

1. Use your feet. Climbing is actually all in your legs. You hands are to help you keep your balance and stay on the wall.
    2. Use straight arms.. It will allow you to use your bone structure than tire out your muscles
    3. You don't have to death grip the holds. You can relax your grip and it will save energy
    4. Use your toes, and put them on the footholds so you can swivel your feet
    5. Climbing outdoors is different, more natural
    6. The more you do it the better you will get..
    7. Watch other climbers -- you can pick up techniques from them.
    8. Do ab/core work, your core is very important in climbing..

There are plenty more tips, I could give, but these are some off the top of my head. :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is there an indoor bouldering gym near you?
    You don't need a belay partner for bouldering as no ropes are used - I often go on my own.
    More social as well generally, as you're not always either climbing or belaying.
    You're also doing shorter climbs, so may find you can do more - though of course bouldering 'problems' tend to involve harder moves.
    However, any I've been to have always had some pretty 'ladder like' problems at the lower end.

Definitely focus on using your feet as much as possible.
    Often, even when doing horizontal overhangs, where you place your body so you can use your feet changes it from impossible to very 'doable'*.

If your legs are causing problems, then some squats would no doubt help.

Losing weight will definitely help - those people better than you I doubt would be anywhere near as good if they were wearing a weight belt. I've put on a bit in the last couple of months and it's noticeable how some climbs are a good chunk harder.

As far as your arms, they often say the best climbing exercise is climbing!
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein if you find your arm strength is giving out on 'jug' (easy) holds.
    You could maybe 'practice' going up and down ladders repeatedly, using your arms as much as possible. I 'campus' up the rear of a ladder without my feet as exercise (and I'm not good enough to properly campus on a board just using my fingers.
    You could try going up the underside of a ladder, but still using your feet - do be careful, however.

On rope climbing, keeping your arms straight where possible and using your legs as much as possible definitely helps.
    First time I did climbing was at Glastonbury Festival - I went up the wall they had set up there twice as I was doing ok. Obviously mostly using my arms because for the next 24 hours I could hardly move them!
    A friend who's more experienced that me always says "climb like a monkey" - you don't see a monkey using bent arms, instead they hang off straight arms wherever possible.

Consider not only using your feet, but where your foot placement affects your body. Have a look up 'flagging' in climbing - sticking your leg out to balance so you hand can reach out for a hold without unbalancing your body generally.

Pull up are the obvious exercise to do if your arms are suffering.
    I can do 9 pull ups or so in one set and find that I never really suffer from my arm strength - it's strength in my fingers that suffer.
    Finger strength will come with time.
    I can remember getting frustrated that my climbing wasn't really coming on for a few weeks - then at a different wall found that I was doing a lot of problems that normally I wouldn't have expected to be able to hold on to at all.
    There's some programs for training to do pulls ups freely available - they start for people that can't do any at all.
    Oh and recently read that you shouldn't do pull ups to failure; when you're doing a few at least.

*As an idea, I was trying a bouldering problem with a couple of people of similarish ability to me.
    The problem was on a bit of a slab (sloping so that it's easier to stand up, rather than fall off) with the last move involving lifting yourself up on small spherical volume.
    Right hand reaching up to the final hold while the left hand gave you a low and flat octagonal volume at torso height and some very flat holds higher up which you'd have to have VERY strong fingers to make decent use of.
    I eventually worked it out by doing it backwards, then working out the opposite actions needed.
    It turns out you needed to push yourself upright on to your right foot from the torso height volume, then you could pretty much stand up on your right foot.
    The point being that it was 'as easy as' standing up when in the right position, but pretty much impossible when not.
  • sharkweek
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've read these posts over a few times, and will again before the next time I go, so hopefully I'll retain some of it and get to put it in practice. I know I tend to rely on my arms more than I should. I take big steps, which seem to require good handholds, and when I can't find good handholds, I frequently have to just come down. I can lift myself with my legs just fine, but I have a hard time staying on the wall without gripping hard with my hands -- I feel like I'm going to fall backwards. Maybe that has to do with a lack of core strength.

My gym does have a bouldering area. I've heard that even the lowest bouldering course is like a 5.9 on a normal climb. Should I stay away from bouldering until I can handle a 5.9, or start working it into my routine now even if I can't make it up?
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Try bouldering --- VB at Earth Treks are easier routes. You can also practice traversing around the gym. Though bouldering is more power movements and route climbing is more endurance.. So there are differences in the grading by the type of climb / moves, if that makes sense.

Rough grade conversion (but it depends on the gym/route setter)

V0- .9
    V0 .10-
    V0+ .10+
    V1 .11-
    V2 .11
    V3 .11+
    V4 .12-
    V5 .12
    V6 .12+
    V7 .13-
    V8 .13
    V9 .13+
    V10 .14a
    V11 .14b
    V12 .14c
    V13 .14d
    V14 .15a

Also, you don't have to make big moves with your feet all the time. Moving your feet up little by little will help your momentum and allow you to move more fluidly instead of a huge leg move. Though high stepping is required for some routes.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    While a bouldering route may be listed as equivelent to a harder rope route, in my experience there's usually some 'easy' ones that should be easy regardless - remember they're a lot shorter than rope routes. So while if you had a long rope route made out of the same moves it may be harder, as it is it's not too bad - and we're back to the "ladder" thing - but a shorter ladder so you don't get so knackered (as in reality, it's at least a vertical ladder, probably, which isn't nearly so easy to climb up!)

On bouldering or rope climbing don't feel you just have to use just the same coloured/route holds.
    It's better to 'cheat' and get to the top than not get to the top at all - next time you might make it without an extra hold or two. (Though from what I've seen American climbing places tend to be a bit more spread out - while British ones tend to have a lot of problems/routes squashed in to one area, so there's plenty of overlap.)
    The start moves in v3+ bouldering problems can often be a bit nasty (a big move just using your finger tips from a 'seated' position), so sometimes I will cheat these by starting on the next move up. I will try and come back to the first move if I can do the rest of the problem, but sometimes I'll never do it before it's changed.
    I'm still happy to do the rest of the moves as opposed to not attempting any.
    I will also sometimes cheat by trying to use a nicer hold from a different problem. If I can do it with that hold, I will come back to the full thing later - if I can't do it with that hold, I'll probably try and work out a different way to use the other one or move on.

My 'best' climb is what was supposed to be a V6 (more like a V5 I think) which took me a good many sessions trying each move one move at a time, then getting a little better each session.

I don't know, but it does sound like you're holding yourself in to the wall more than is ideal.
    This will sap your strength and actually mean you're doing a fair bit more work than someone who isn't doing this.

It might be worth trying to practice (maybe on the bouldering wall, or telling your belayer to take up slack for the practice) hanging back a bit on your arms.

Here's a video showing the basic technique being used:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npxr3b3MixQ

This is on an overhang, but more clearly demonstrates the arms merely being used as ropes with hooks, rather than big muscles:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJKOZ8bA9M
    Ok, you may not be trying the overhangs just yet, but when you do you'll find that they are best achieved (especially when there's lovely big jug holds like in the video) by using your arm merely as a pivot - with the real force coming from your feet, which rotates your body around your outstretched arm. So in those cases your arm is acting like a solid bit of wood pivoted on the wall - so all the movement comes from your much more powerful leg muscles.

And a final video, where the first half of it goes in to some detail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIDnMmSLsc
    Don't worry too much about the second half for the moment.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Also; it's definitely worth considering your protein intake, especially around when you're doing climbing.

As it is fairly strenuous, it's probably a decent workout for you.
    You may also have lost some muscle mass while losing weight.

So making sure you get a good bit of protein (harder for you) around climbing will ensure you get maximum benefits from the strength.
    For me, the limit is more tendon strength I think, which takes a lot longer; but you should be able to see pretty quick improvements in overall arm strength fairly quickly with the right nutrition.
  • sharkweek
    Options
    Rough grade conversion (but it depends on the gym/route setter)

V0- .9
    V0 .10-
    V0+ .10+
    V1 .11-
    V2 .11
    V3 .11+
    V4 .12-
    V5 .12
    V6 .12+
    V7 .13-
    V8 .13
    V9 .13+
    V10 .14a
    V11 .14b
    V12 .14c
    V13 .14d
    V14 .15a

This is so helpful - thank you.

@geebusuk - Those YouTube videos sent me into a climbing video vortex. :) It had never occurred to me to look at YouTube for technique videos before, and they were pretty awesome. Thank you! I think you're also right about protein; I can work in plenty of protein when I plan for it, so I'll start paying more attention to that when I climb.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Fitting topic. I just went indoor climbing last night for the 1st time. It was a blast. I climbed a little bit outdoors in college, many years ago. I'm looking forward to my next trip to the wall.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Lots of very good advice. Nothing further to add other than climb more frequently as climbing and watching others climb will improve your climbing. Oh, try to keep your hips close to the wall - don't climb like Spiderman.

Also, you'll start to know where your weaknesses are whether it's slopers, crimps or tufas. Climb the stuff you hate because you will develop the ability and start to love what you hated/feared.

Remember, it's part strength and part technique (including balance) so work on both aspects. Eg if you find it tough to hold on to overhangy stuff, practice deadhangs on a fingerboard.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Echo most of the above, it will get easier with time. Most beginners use their arms too much. At the lower grades you shouldn't need to with good technique. Best focus on good technique first, your strength and endurance will develope as you practice. You could strength train at a gym and do hangs etc, but there's a big risk of injury in doing this (especially your fingers/tendons). Best bet is to let them develop slowly at first as you improve your technique.

If you haven't already, you should include cardio in your training. This will help with your endurance on the wall, weight loss, and walk-in's if you do head outdoors. I think outdoor climbing is tougher to be honest, here in the UK anyway. Long walk-ins, often hilly, carrying a pack of gear, dealing with the weather etc. But that's coming from someone who doesn't like indoor climbing very much :)
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Good point re focused training. I would do it with the guide of an instructor at a climbing centre and not just start attempting dynos on the campus board. :o)

Something that martin said re endurance, next time you're at the wall, pick a really easy route and go up and down (climb down) a few times. This will help build your endurance. Tis a good warm up and cool down. I've been climbing for a few years and do this at the start and end of each session picking a really easy route (4+ for instance). (But then I climb with someone who does day long multi-pitch routes in Europe.)

Another thing to try for warm ups: pick a slabby route for beginners.
    1) climb up and down anything
    2) quiet feet - no clonking, shuffling or scraping of shoes
    3) flow - one limb must be moving all the time
    4) high feet - grab holds with hands, then feet keep moving as high as you can before you have to move your hands; great for improving balance. Ideally, your feet should be inches from your hands and you're crouching or bending over awkwardly.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Good point re focused training. I would do it with the guide of an instructor at a climbing centre and not just start attempting dynos on the campus board. :o)

Something that martin said re endurance, next time you're at the wall, pick a really easy route and go up and down (climb down) a few times. This will help build your endurance. Tis a good warm up and cool down. I've been climbing for a few years and do this at the start and end of each session picking a really easy route (4+ for instance). (But then I climb with someone who does day long multi-pitch routes in Europe.)

4) high feet - grab holds with hands, then feet keep moving as high as you can before you have to move your hands; great for improving balance. Ideally, your feet should be inches from your hands and you're crouching or bending over awkwardly.

I agree wit this. I just want to also say to follow #4, high feet are good -- but don't think you always need to high step to get them up there. You can walk your feet up bit by bit with smaller movements, which will help with #3. :wink:
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options

Agree, many beginners think that they lack muscular stength when actually it is muscular endurance and poor technique.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I agree wit this. I just want to also say to follow #4, high feet are good -- but don't think you always need to high step to get them up there. You can walk your feet up bit by bit with smaller movements, which will help with #3. :wink:

Oh I didn't mean do the step in one go. I can't do that!
  • savvystephy
    Options

Oh I didn't mean do the step in one go. I can't do that!

Haha, I figured. Just is sometimes good to point out to beginners. I know when I started I did a lot of high stepping, now I focus on keeping my feet moving and don't high step unless I really have to (hooray yoga & flexibility). :smile: But I prefer a nice heel hook to high stepping any day.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    As I say, if in doubt, heel hook!*

*- results may vary.