Healthiest Tacos (Can Be Vegan/Vegetarian)

Options
mkookies
mkookies Posts: 67 Member
Hey there!

I just thought I would share my favourite quick healthy taco recipe with you guys. They are really good for you and are absolutely delicious. Filling, too!

You start out with a handful of walnuts - I use raw walnuts. Chop them up, put them into a small bowl, and throw in a few drops of soy sauce for a little salty flavour and then a nice dash of taco seasoning. I make my own taco seasoning:

2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Just mix in a mason jar - it stores for quite a long time. :)
You can add a few teaspoons of salt, but I like to leave it out so that I can add it in addition to the seasoning if need be.

Anyways, so that is your taco meat - just chopped walnuts, soy sauce, and taco seasoning! Pretty simple.

Now get yourself some romaine hearts (the inner leaves of Romaine Lettuce) - these little "boats" will be used as taco shells. Fill the inside of the leaves with the walnut "taco meat" and then top with whatever you like. I like a little salsa, avocado, tomatoes, green onion, and if you aren't Vegan - greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) or cottage cheese.

They are delicious! It may sound weird, but walnuts have a fantastic meaty taste to them. Not to mention they are very good for you - full of Omega 3 fats - the good fats. :)

If you try these, let me know. If you have any variations, definitely comment!

Replies

• sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Most definitely going to try this tomorrow!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    no way!

i thought i was the only crazy person who used romaine for taco shells!!!
  • xoxerinxox
    Options
    Sounds great :D
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    no way!

i thought i was the only crazy person who used romaine for taco shells!!!

Hehe, we'll both be crazy together, then. DELICIOUSLY CRAZY.
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I might try this, looks good
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    heh. wrong forum.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I use medium tofu with a splash of soy sauce.
  • fenwayc1
    fenwayc1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good vegan lentil taco recipe. I made it this past weekend but converted it to a salad because it was for a pot luck. It was a big hit and SO easy to make. http://sundaymorningbananapancakes.blogspot.com/2013/01/lentil-tacos.html
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    they sell ground "beefless" beef at Trader Joe's - if you are not opposed to some slightly processed meat product - it really hits the spot w/ lots of protein too. I'm allowing myself a little processed food here and there (like this, veggie burgers, protein shakes) while I'm in weight loss mode....later, as I develop a normal, maintenance routine, I may just go pure whole foods....
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    Thank you! These sound delicious and I love the natural ingredients. I'm definitely trying these.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMM sounds good and an omega 3 taco party!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love romaine taco shells! I do this all the time. I make my own taco seasoning too and thow some tomatoes and onions in with my taco meat to up my veggie count. I use MEAT for my taco meat.. but also will use lentils or half meat half lentils. If you've never made tacos with lentils you're missing out. So tasty!
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I use romaine shells for everything! Chicken and tuna salad, tacos, stir-fry lettuce wraps (By far, my favorite!) and I even occasionally make a blt filling (Combine lettuce and mayo with chopped bacon and tomatoes) and put that in a lettuce leaf. AMAZING!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Love making "meat" out of nuts, I have to try this recipe!