First time Spin Class

Options
So last summer, I decided that I wanted to buy a mountain bike and enjoy myself more outside doing the cycle thing...........and I did exactly that. I really enjoyed my summer, and even fall just riding at lunch time and riding around with my kids. Now that winter is in full force, I was sitting in my office staring at my bike that is now craving attention, and started thinking how much I miss the euphoria of how cycling makes me hurt (read: muscle burn) and feel good all at the same time. So I checked out the schedule last night at my gym and realized they had a spin class going on.............bright idea = lets go try it out!

OMG!!! YES, YES, YES.................I'll be doing lots more of that. I'm paying for it this morning, but in a good way. Can't wait to go do that again. A majority of the people in the class were "the regulars" and were more than willing to help teach the setup, and what to expect. The instructor was spot on in her choreography and pace of music, and the time just flew by. I definitely have a base line now of what to expect and will continue to push harder and harder. Now that I'm doing this, I'm also hoping that by pushing harder and harder in this class will help my ability to enjoy myself even more in my outdoor cycling.

Replies

• analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I recently started spinning at my gym and found myself instantly hooked!

I'm curious, did you invest in the cycling shoes?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Glad you liked it! I do enjoy a good spin class every once in a while too.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I started in spin pretty much exactly the same way as you. If it is something you really love (i do spin at least twice a week now), I found the cycling shoes actually made it even better!! My workout is better with them, love it even more!

I am a mountain biker who doesn't use my cycling shoes when on my bike.... I run into enough trees without being clipped in.... but I love my cycling shoes for spin class. Worth the investment for me. :)
  • analisareyna
    Options
    You just gave me the answer I needed to hear. Thanks for your response!

Take care!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Glad you liked it! I'm a hard core spin addict (yes, have the shoes but still use my gel seat) and I miss it when I can't get to it. I've been doing it for years and I love that it can still kick my butt!
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love spinning so much that I stay up until a minute past midnight every mon, wed and fri to book it a week in advance. The classes get so full! x
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I recently started spinning at my gym and found myself instantly hooked!

I started with the clipless shoes on my mountain bike, so I already had the shoes, and yes, they are SPD compatible with the spin cycle. What I learned after the first time was the discomfort of the saddle compared to my own personal saddle on my bike. It's not the nice comfy seat that I've put on my personal seat. Enter, the $20 gel seat cover that now goes into my bag with me. When I go for the spin class, I have my shoes, my water bottle, towel, and the gel seat cover. So much more comfortable now.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options

I started with the clipless shoes on my mountain bike, so I already had the shoes, and yes, they are SPD compatible with the spin cycle. What I learned after the first time was the discomfort of the saddle compared to my own personal saddle on my bike. It's not the nice comfy seat that I've put on my personal seat. Enter, the $20 gel seat cover that now goes into my bag with me. When I go for the spin class, I have my shoes, my water bottle, towel, and the gel seat cover. So much more comfortable now.

Interesting. I hate bigger seats and find gel seats annoying. I find, the smaller the better.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I have been spinning for 9 months now and I still use my running shoes. Since I don't bike outside they are not strictly necessary.

Spinning rocks!!!! It has helped me kickstart my weight loss and break through plateaus. I love pushing myself to go harder, faster and stronger. ENJOY!!!!
  • analisareyna
    Options
    At first I felt discomfort from those tiny seats but much to my surprise, I have found myself getting used to them.

I appreciate the encouragement and feedback from each and everyone of you. Spinning tonight at 5:40 and looking forward to a good sweat!

:flowerforyou: