Thinking about Running a 10K

Options
I've run a bunch of 5Ks in the past... and done an 8K... never a 10K. There's one near my house at the end of April. Anyone else thinking about running a 10K? Anyone want to keep motivated together?

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I ran several 5k races last year--I'm signed up to run my first 10k in a few months and would love some virtual running buddies!

I'm doing the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC, on April 6.
  • dmkirk28
    dmkirk28 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm starting training for the Richmond 10K in April. the training starts Feb 2nd. I did it last year and along the way discovered I had 2 bulging discs in my neck. I still pushed through it. I HATE running but the satisfaction I had afterwards is making me look forward to this year. My time was 1:45. I ran the first 2 miles, walked/jogged the next 2-3 and sprinted at the end. This year I am working on endurance.

Good Luck to you!
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just moved up from 10ks to 15ks and half marathons. It's scary to make the jump to the next level but if you've run an 8k I think you'll be fine on a 10k. And there's plenty of time to train before April. Just remember- if you slow your run down you can run farther.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm starting training for the Richmond 10K in April. the training starts Feb 2nd. I did it last year and along the way discovered I had 2 bulging discs in my neck. I still pushed through it. I HATE running but the satisfaction I had afterwards is making me look forward to this year. My time was 1:45. I ran the first 2 miles, walked/jogged the next 2-3 and sprinted at the end. This year I am working on endurance.

Good Luck to you!

What training plan are you following?
  • sglane
    sglane Posts: 26
    Options
    I ran my 3rd half marathon on Saturday and PR'ed with 2:13.

The 10K is probably my favorite race distance.

When I ran my first 5K, my first running race ever, in September 2010, I weighed 335 pounds and finished in 40:33.

Since then I've run several 5Ks and 10Ks. Last year I ran my first marathon.

So yes, do the 10K. You can do it. April is plenty of time to train and work up to it.

Here's a link to all my races to see how I've progressed.
    http://www.shawndoeslife.com/p/races.html
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump.... anyone else training for a 10K this spring?