Quinoa

Options
Hey folks, anyone out there have some tasty recipes for Quinoa? I bought a pound from store and cooked it like rice, but there isn't any taste to it. Oh and I did rinse it prior to cooking as suggested.

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i like the 'flakes' - they cook in 90 seconds. the consistency is much like cream of wheat, only somewhat 'slimier'.
    i eat it as a breakfast cereal (e.g. grits) and i load it up with salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, chili flakes, butter/oil, etc.
    takes me more time to season it than to cook it.
    don't taste like much except HOT, which for some reason is what i like in the a.m. :devil:
  • daklex
    daklex Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We LOVE Spinach Quinoa Salad at our house.

Salad:
    Spinach
    mushrooms
    onions
    quinoa
    Broth
    EVOO

Dressing:
    ¼ c balsamic vinegar
    ½ c olive oil
    2 ½ Tbsp sugar

1)Put spinach in the serving dish
    2)Put quinoa to cook in broth (2parts broth to 1 part quinoa)...simmer covered on med until broth mostly absorbed.
    3)Meanwhile, saute' onions in EVOO until translucent and then add sliced mushrooms and cook until browned.
    4)Place cooked quinoa and sautéed onions/mushrooms over the spinach.
    5) Mix dressing
    6) Mix salad with dressing and serve immediately - it's awesome when it's warm.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup quinoa, 1/4 apple, and 1/2 cup of water
    Prepare normally as the package states and have it in place of oatmeal.
  • lolocain
    lolocain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cook with broth...you can add garic too it. My favorite is to cook with chicken broth. In skillet I lightly saute rainbow peppers, celery and red onion with garlic and pepper in EVOO very light amount and mix in the quinoa when it is done.
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like it with chicken broth (or boullion) instead of water. I then added black beans and cilantro to my leftovers...yummy!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    We like this recipe at our house:
    http://eatingcuriously.com/mexican-quinoa-bowl/
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    BUMP :flowerforyou:
  • glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My wife makes it spanish style with tomato suace green peppers and onions. Last night we had it with broccoli and 2% cheddar cheese it was really good the best way I've had it yet. Other wise we just cook it with chicken broth.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    We like this recipe at our house:
    http://eatingcuriously.com/mexican-quinoa-bowl/

this looks soooo yummy!
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bobby Flay has a Greek quinoa salad recipe...yum!
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I always use low sodium chicken broth when I cook quinoa (I usually use half water and half broth). It also helps if you toast the grains before cooking. Just put them in a pan with no oil on low heat for a few minutes (stirring constantly) until you smell a nutty flavor.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting used to quinoa too, until I found this recipe.

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/the_kitchen_table/recipe/recipe.aspx?id=2221
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I usually roast some veggies in balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs and garlic. Boil the Quinoa as normal, then mix everything together at the end. Depending on what veggies I use, I either serve with chunks of cheese or any meat or fish of choice, yum!
  • kristalbentley
    kristalbentley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    THIS looks really good! I hope to try it. Thanks for the suggestion as I have never had Quinoa before. :)
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump for Later. :)
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas, just started eating quinoa
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I literally JUST made this and ate it for lunch. OMNOMNOM: http://pinterest.com/pin/559290847443943031/