Parties - how do you stay out of trouble?

Options
I completely went off the rails this weekend - a family party followed by a business trip made it fairly difficult for me - especially the party!! I found myself having quite a few drinks and party food (all deep fried or breadcrumbed) so that I didn't have to tell everyone I was dieting - it was a fairly small gathering with everyone sitting around watching. Every time I turned around someone was topping up my glass and there is a big drink culture around here. I know I'm an adult and I should just be able to say 'no I'm trying to loose weight' but I hate drawing attention to my weight problem (to be honest I am so embarassed by it) and I have in the past let people know when I was attempting diets and failed so I don't want to feel like every time I meet them they will be looking at me to see whether I am succeeding or not. This is a private quest of mine. Do many other people with lots of weight to lose feel like that? What do you do in situations like that? Feign illness or make up another excuse or are you all just upfront about it?

I know the important thing is that I start again but I definitely feel a little bit less motivated today. I feel as if I undid all of the work I put in over the last couple of weeks.

Replies

• ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged! If I know I'm going to a big party I try to eat before so if I do indulge in "party food" it won't be too much. I also try to bring my own drinks. I like Bud Select which is 90 calories a bottle or I've even heard that some of the other beers that are 55 calories are pretty good.
  • rhalpin86
    Options
    It takes alot of strong will. I'm trying to avoid parties and such to prevent this from happening. I have a date night with Hubby on friday and I'm going to try to limit myself to one or two glasses of red wine.
  • sassy_sparkles
    Options
    Eat before you go, or bring a ziploc of veggies to munch on. Also, always have a glass in your hand. Drink a light beer or red wine to start. Have your 1-2 drinks and then be done. Carry around water or better yet sparkling water with natural flavoring. It will look like a vodka tonic or gin and tonic, and when the drunkies try to get you to have more just say, "I've got something right here. I'm good for now, thanks!"

Keep at this weight loss thing! You've got this, sister :-)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    run faster than the police
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You've not said how much you lost in the last couple of weeks, but given that one pound lost is generally quoted as 3,500 calories, you'd have to have quite the binge to undo everything in one night.

Personally, I say it's fine to loosen the reins on yourself from time to time. On evenings like this, I think your watch word should be "Moderate, don't deny". Allow yourself your maintenance calories that day, maybe even a few more. Eat light (but don't starve) during the day, and do a workout in the morning to bank even more calories.

Let's say your normal TDEE is 2500 calories. i.e. that's what you need to eat everyday to stay the same weight. Normally you'd eat only 1500 - 2250 to lose weight, but on party days (assuming they don't happen too often), allow yourself to throw that out the window.

Have a 200 calorie breakfast, a 300 calorie lunch, and 'earn' yourself an extra 300 calories through 30 minutes on the treadmill. 2,500 - 200 - 300 + 300 = 2,200. You still have 2,200 Calories to enjoy at the party in the evening, and you won't 'undo' anything, you'll just stall for a single day.

Remember that losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. A day lost won't hurt you, and as a reward for good behavior up to that day, it could even help motivate.
  • DelilaLightfoot
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice - some good tips there. I will definitely make sure I bring some sparkling water next time. I know that I will have times like this and also I will need to indulge once in a while otherwise this is going to be a very long year. I just need to pick myself up and get back on that treadmill!