Hmm??

Options
OK so my friend and I are starting this journey together and she went to the doc this morning and asked her some questions. The doc said to keep up what she is doing (Hard cardio and weights, MWF and Softer cardio and swimming T,TH) As well as sticking to a 1200 calorie diet and NOT eating back the calories she burns exercising... What do ya'll think??? What has worked for you??? We are just trying to figure out what works best!!

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Unless they have some specialized credential, or are speaking about a specific medical problem, I don't tend to trust a doctor's advice about nutrition or weight loss.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree with EvanKeel. Also, what works for one is almost guarenteed not to work for another. Every body is different, there is no one right path.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Will she lose weight doing that? Most likely. Will she feel she's able to stick with it? Maybe not. I know for me I'd likely lose weight...but I'd be so hungry and feel so crappy and tired I'd just give up.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    A doctor =/= a nutritionist, dietician, trainer, etc.

She should see someone who specializes in this if she wants a professional opinion.
    But really, it's not so complicated. Maintain a moderate deficit and exercise.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Will she lose weight doing that? Most likely. Will she feel she's able to stick with it? Maybe not. I know for me I'd likely lose weight...but I'd be so hungry and feel so crappy and tired I'd just give up.
    This...
    Doctors a generally brilliant, except when it comes to nutrition...I won't go to a nutritioninst to fix a broken leg, and I won't go to a doctor to fix my diet and exercise....
    I know I won't be abble to stick with it.....
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I agree with EvanKeel. Also, what works for one is almost guarenteed not to work for another. Every body is different, there is no one right path.

EXACTLY!! I don't eat back my exercise calories burned. BUT then I don't do these massive long work outs many people do so I"m not at all hungry after my exercise routine. If I was hungry afterwards I would eat and not worry about it. I'm averaging a 1.5 lb loss per week doing what I'm doing so it's working for me. Someone else may try the same thing and not get the same results. They may need to work out much harder than I am or even eat more than me to get that same 1.5 pound per week loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How much does your friend have to lose? A doctor will usually look at weight loss differently than a lay person. Because being overweight, and especially being obese, increases risk of disease, getting someone to a heatlhy weight quickly is likely be the top priority for most doctors, not body composition once the weight is lost. They tend to look at it purely from a medical standpoint.
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We both started out at 191ish I'm 5'4" and shes about 5'6". She has lost about 8lbs doing this but... I lost 10lbs the first 2 weeks and then gained it all back the 3rd week. I KNOW I havent been eating all that so I can only guess water and or muscle??? We both would like to lose about 40lbs. In high school I was 155lbs and a size 3/5 I think naturally I am pretty muscular, I have always been extremely athletic minus these past 5 years.
  • letbc
    letbc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP very long but the only time I didn't register a loss was when I had a long workout and didn't eat back my calories (and drink enough water). I think I'd stick with MFP. It seems to work for alot of people and it seems safer. If that doesn't work then maybe you should try not eating exercise calories.