Running too much?

Options
I'm a new runner and recently completed the c25k. I have my first official 5k in February and trying to stay on track with my running. I want this to become a part of my life. I LOVE running.

How do I know if I'm running too much as a new runner?? This is what I've done the last few days and wonder if it I should continue or take a break and do elliptical or bike today along with the weight machines??

Thursday - treadmill - 2.15 miles/weight machines
Friday - treadmill - 3.1 miles
Saturday - no workout
Sunday - track - 3.1 miles
Monday - treadmill - 2 miles/weight machines

Should I take a break today and rest my legs/body or hit the gym during lunch? I was going to run 2 miles and plan to go to the gym tomorrow and run 3.1 miles since it is a rare occurence that I'll be off from work and have the day without the kids.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Your call. I only run 4 days a week, but I play hockey in between
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Breaks are good - but the most important feedback is how you feel. If you're feeling strong on your runs and you recover quickly, keep doing what you're doing. If you find you're dragging, are more winded, are sore, legs feel like lead, etc., then more breaks may be in order.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I do feel good and I know 2-3 miles a day isn't a lot when it comes to running. I"m just very new at all this training and consistent running program and now that you can easily overtrain in the beginning. I'm really just focusing right now on my running till I complete my first official 5k. Then I hope to continue running 4x a week and doing a few classes at the gym too. I think I'll go to the gym and do the 2 miles today. Ate a lot of junk yesterday and need to burn it off.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you and whether you want to or not isn't it?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I only run 3 days a week. Anymore than that I start getting aches and stuff in anything involved in running. It's up to you. If you feel good with your current routine keep doing it.

However, a suggestion. Unless your 5K is an indoor 5K I suggest you get outside and run. If you can scout and run on the route the race will be on that would be beneifcial. I just know when I sign up for a race I try and run in replicated race conditions as much as possible during training.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Being tired is one thing, but your body will tell you when it's had enough.
  • minorgal
    minorgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon, which may be a little more than what you're running now, but I've found that most programs really stress the rest/stretch days:

"Rest is as important a part of your training as the runs. You will be able to run the long runs on the weekend better--and limit your risk of injury--if you rest before, and rest after."

Have you tried doing something like yoga or pilates once or twice a week instead of running. Hot yoga burns a TON of calories and will give you a great stretch.

Ultimately you just have to figure out what works for you :) Good for you for running!!

Amy
  • TiredMom12
    Options
    I do try and run outside as much as possible, but during the week it is impossible. I have 3 small children and work part-time in the city. The weekends is much more flexible where I run as my husband is home too. I am a totaly newbie to all this and just trying to get my feet wet. My husband suggested I go run outside on Monday since my race will be outside, but it was 20 degrees and I just couldn't do it. I went to the gym instead. Doing my best and if the race turns out to be something I realy enjoy, I think I will change my routine up for the next one.
  • TiredMom12
    Options
    Thanks. The half marathon is much longer than my 5k so I give you lots of credit. I know how important rest is to your body when training for a race. Probably best if I take a break from running today since I did it 2 days in a row and do the elliptical and some weight machines. I'll focus on running tomorrow when time/kids aren't an issue. I do want to take some classes, but right now just want to see if I can maintain a 3 mile run every few days. I have back issues and so far, I'm feeling great. Afraid if I do something different right now, I'll injure myself and then won't be able to run the 5k. I want to start taking a zumba class and a beginner yoga class too. Time is very limited for me so it is hard.

How long have you been running? Do you run every day? Do you follow a specific diet?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When running multiple days in a row being tired is normal and nothing to worry about, especially when building mileage.

If something starts to hurt then back off some. If your legs begin to feel like lead and normal training paces get slower at the same effort level then back off some. If you start to hate the thought of going on the next run, then back off some.

Also, when building mileage it is often a good idea to reduce mileage by around 30% every third week or so to aid in recovery.
  • jahenry17
    jahenry17 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I follow the Hal Higdon training plans and the intermediate plans have you running 5 days a week. I would say, just listen to your body.

For me, it is helpful to always have a race on the books and to be follow a plan. Go to HalHigdon.com and take a look at what he has out there.

Good luck!
  • wanabefitter
    Options
    in my opinion, rather than run every day, you should take a day off running every other day, its OK to do some other excercise on the alternate days, such as cycling, swimming, etc. Also you need to allow your body chance to repair, so one day should be a rest day-no excercise!!

my week looks like this

Tuesday- Run
    Wednesday- Cycle
    Thursday-Run
    Fri- Gym/strength
    Sat- run
    Sunday- Longest Run
    Monday Rest Day

also if you are looking to increase distances, one to bear in mind, do not increase the distance by more than 10% each week

Make sense?
  • swanarae
    Options
    I am new to running as well. Am on week 7 of a C25K program.
    The hubs and I walk/jog/run outside. (His idea NOT mine)

Last night it was 18 degrees and the hubs had to drag my butt out there because I am a WIMP when it comes to the cold, but let me tell you, it actually helps me to keep running or jogging because it is too cold to stay still or to walk slowly.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am training for my third half marathon and I only run 3 days / week because my knees dont like running any more than that. I do either the elliptical or biking on non-running days (planning to add in swimming soon), and try to rest at least once per week.

I think you just need to listen to how your body feels. :)
  • TiredMom12
    Options
    Yes, that does make sense. I know even though I feel ok and strong, I don't want to tire myself out and then stop running all together. I think I'll follow this program this week:

Sunday - ran 3.1 miles outside = did it
    Monday - ran 2 miles on treadmill = did it
    Tuesday - cycle 2 miles = will do it
    Wednesday - run 3.1 miles
    Thursday - elliptical - 3 miles/machines
    Friday - run 2 miles
    Saturday - class at the gym??
    Sunday - rest day
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    i try to run 2-3x a week. On my off days i do a yoga program geared for runners, it keeps me flexible and injury-free
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Listen to your body. Being tired is one thing, but your body will tell you when it's had enough.

This.

I run 5-6 days a week depending on the schedule my coach writes up for me. Anytime I need to take a break due to being over tired or achy I am advised to do so. Rest days are worked into my plan.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to add some weight training. Overall toning will improve your running performance, especially a strong core.
  • ma3944
    ma3944 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great job setting a 5K as your goal! I would encourage you to try a couple of days out on the road with your running rather than relying mostly on the treadmill and track. Both are different surfaces from where road races are run and your body may not be attuned to running on pavement or concrete if you do all your training on the softer track or treadmills causing you to get tired earlier or feel some pain in your joints. In addition, running outside gets you accustomed to things like wind, uneven surfaces and hills. Good luck with your race! :smile:
  • sglane
    sglane Posts: 26
    Options
    I need to practice what I preach but cross training one day a week is key so that you don't injure or overuse the muscles used when running whether it's bicycling, walking, swimming, etc. as well taking 1 maybe 2 days off.

I ran a half marathon on Saturday but hadn't been training for it. I was averaging 2 or 3 runs/week with my longest run being 4 miles. And it showed during the race when I started running out of gas around 10 miles although the hills on the course helped out too.

I've been training outside only and the 20-something degree weather hasn't helped either when I chicken out and don't go for it.

And if you're training for a race, even in this cold weather, make sure your running isn't only on the treadmill. Make sure you're getting road miles in there too.