Can someone talk to me about Yogurt???

Options
So...I get there are so many things out there that "claim" to be healthy and really are not....I know to go for whole grain vs whole wheat.....but when it comes to yogurt I'm kinda dumb! Hahaha...I have switched to that new Iogo Yogurt...can anyone tell me...is this just a fad too? Like the time I fell for "natural selections" deli meat because I believe there was such a thing cucumber salt.....oie...hahahah....Is this really "better" than say...Activia???? HELP!

Replies

• chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    anyone?
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    check the sugar content. the flavored kinds will usually have a lot of added sugar. you're better off getting lowfat plain yogurt and adding natural sugars with fruit, honey, etc. you can also use plain (also called Greek) yogurt in recipes as a substitute for ricotta, sour cream, butter, etc.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    IMHO (and this comes from a lot of reading/understanding/etc.), the more natural ingredients, the better you are. I really like Greek Yogurt and it's higher in protein, which will keep you more full too. A little more calories, but if it keeps you from snacking, those 30 or so calories are well worth it. I wish I liked the plain but I just don't, so I do buy the fruit ones. I stay away from the low calorie ones because of what they're sweetened with. If I can't pronounce the ingredient or know for sure it's a chemical, I'm trying desperately to stay away from it. Good luck girl!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest it. Most of these yogurts contain bad ratios of carbs, protein, and fats. I suggest plain greek yogurt and adding your own fruit, if any.
  • LadyMud17
    LadyMud17 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Dont go for gimikics!! Stay away from anything flavored or has more than milk, and bacteria. Also I think whole milk yogurt is better for you than anyother,, why? 1. To absorb the calcium, you need the fat 2. milk does contain natural sugars, which are made less bad for you (as in insulin spiking) due to the fat 3. Whole milk yogurt also contains less sugar naturally. I make my own with raw milk, but Trader Joes has some good plain whold milk yogurts (and Whole foods too :) If you need to sweet, add your own fruit, honey or my favorite, pureed sweet potatoe!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone....this is what I needed. I am a big believer in quality calories so being higer in fat ect is fine by me as long as it's "natural"......back to the store I go...I don't know why I bother to wander outside the organic aisle ever...I just get suckered in! hahaha
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am eating Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt, blueberry flavored. 80 cal with 12 grams protein. The other number look good too.
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest it. Most of these yogurts contain bad ratios of carbs, protein, and fats. I suggest plain greek yogurt and adding your own fruit, if any.

This^^

I get the 2% Fage Greek Yogurt, sprinkle in a little stevia, add a couple handfuls of blueberries. Super yum.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    i get the 0% fage plain, add a little stevia (natural sweetener) and a spoonful of either carob powder or pb2 = about 100 calories and over 17g protein