Does anybody do any juicing as a part of their diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Another_Dude
    Another_Dude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my Nutribullet. $100 from Bed, Bath & Beyond and I waste so much less food than using a traditional juicer. Get a great green smoothie every morning with spinach, kale, strawberries, half a banana, ground flax seed, chia seed, protein powder, and spring water.
  • xojessieannexo
    xojessieannexo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i prefer my vitamix! :)
  • annregina
    Options
    I bought that one 2 weeks ago and have used it every single day! the breville,I meant !
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I chose a juicer because I didn't want to add more fibre. I wanted all the amazing nutrients because i don't take vitamin supplements. i could never drink a smoothee of 2 apples, 2-3 cups of kale, wheatgrass, or whatever else I want to add plus a lemon. Usually this is my "coffee" substitute in the morning. If I make more than 1.5 cups I can't drink it all. Sometimes I throw 4 carrots in there or other things. Maybe we should start a juicing recipes thread.

Also to make it cheaper I will buy things when they are discounted. For example after Christmas the stores were trying to get rid of all there mandarins that were going bad. I spent a few minutes picking through the boxes and left with 2 nine pound boxes for 3 dollars. I spent approximately 45 minutes peeling them all and 20 minutes juicing them. I got 6 litres of mandarin juice and gifted 3 litres to other people. We drank the rest or I sweetened smoothies with it.

I've done the same with pomegranates and other fruits. There are only a few fruits that are better for smoothies like pears and strawberries. I do think our grocery bill is higher than a person who eats processed food. Sometimes I can't believe how cheap a bag of cookies or crackers is. There are a lot of documentaries out there that explain it but if we don't "vote" for our choices by what we purchase things won't change.

I accidentally found the liferegenerator channel on YouTube last year while looking for how to prepare nettles for juicing. In the spring I picked a bunch of wild stinging nettles and juiced those for my green lemonade. Dan gives a lot of interesting info about juicing and what to include in your juices.

I do both juicing and smoothies but I definately get the biggest energy boosts from my juice plus it's easier to down all those nutrients in a compact way.

The thing about purchasing a juicer is to select one that wastes the least so that you aren't throwing away your money on the fruits.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here is a great article explains the differences between juicing and making green smoothies in a blender.
    http://www.ukjuicers.com/articles/juicer-vs-blender-a11
  • Mizz_Need_Help_lol
    Options
    Hi there...
    thanks for your postings....
    Now I know I do not want a juicer and get some type of a blender so I can keep all the nutrients and fibre.
  • Mizz_Need_Help_lol
    Options
    Hi everyone ....

I am looking for a small and affordable blender, that can make smooth shakes not only using fruits and powder but actual green vegetables (kale, spinach, celery, etc). Any suggestion... anybody uses the magic bullet?

Thanks for all the tips and ideas and recipes.....
  • Mizz_Need_Help_lol
    Options
    Ive been researching the same question today. I also have a Bullet but it only really copes with fruit for smoothies.

I think it would have a heart attack if i threw a carrot in there.

Ive been looking into Vitamix's but after a bit of Googlen' i came to the conclusion a Juicer is what i will need to get the juice, and a Vitamix for everything else.

Still, i think im going to just go the Vitamix.

Edit: I only use 1/2 - 1 Cup of juice when making a smoothie. I also add black and blue berries to cover the 'Green Effect' Put the right amount in there and it turns a wonderful Purple.

Hmm nice...
    I noticed guys are more into the protein shake smoothies just seeing my brothers.:)

I was looking for a blender that is small and affordable because when I spend so much on something I tend to not use it anymore and all the cleaning lol.

When I said juicing I meant to juice mostly the green vegetables and other veggies along with some fruits because those are hard to eat lol.

Your bullet that you have can I ask which one and the price range? Is it good to blend leafy veggies in that and make a smooth shake?
  • Another_Dude
    Another_Dude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet, $100 at B,B & B. slightly more at Amazon. Blends green veggies with fruit.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I started today, LOL, after watching "Hungry for Change" this weekend.

I have a regular cheap blender, so right now I'm just blending for a REALLY long time and then suffering the chunks. You can see on my diary what I put in there today. I did have to add a little liquid so I opted for water.

If it's something I continue I'll get a good juicer. For now though I want to make sure it's not a passing trend (for me).

This is a great thread, though, so I know where to begin.