haven't pooped for 3 days

Options

Replies

• Momiofour
    Momiofour Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Honestly a glass of water first thing in the morning before breakfast usually seems to work. Try that? I agree with the movement too (sorry for the pun) try a jog on a Tredmil or some other high
    Movement activity.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on the loo. Bring in a good book. Relax. Take your time. Sip a strong coffee. Sometimes we are far too busy for our own good.

Actually I would advise against this. Evidently spending too much time sitting on the toilet (reading, doing taxes, whatever, while waiting for the urge to poo) has been touted as the leading cause of hemmoroids. Your body is actually meant to SQUAT, not sit daintily on a throne while moving your bowels, and sitting on the toilet places an unnatural strain on your colon. An excessive amount of time spent on the toilet only exascerbates the problem.

There are a TON of great tips in this thread, so try one or two of them (I would also avoid the senna tea...) and find something that works for you. When your body is ready to go, it will. Don't try too hard to force it unless you are majorly uncomfortable -- in which case, see your doctor.

Your body is adjusting to a new diet, and most physicians will tell you that going anywhere from 3 times per day to once every 3 days is 'normal'.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    the joy of weight loss that no one tells you about! Magnesium pills, prunes, prune juice, strong coffee, and sometimes concentrated sweets work for me. When it finally does happen it's gonna hurt like giving birth, LOL! Not to get too graphic but dont sit so much when your saying goodbye to the kids at the pool you may need to squat a little over the toilet. Also if you started taking multivitamins those will plug you up like a cork in a wine bottle.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eat some of that Jamie Lee Curtis yogurt. Stuff goes right through me, within an hour of eating it.
  • kansaspeach
    kansaspeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Another vote for strong black coffee. That should get things moving right along. Good luck, OP! :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    not good,,, get some fibre into you.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started taking Cinnamon tablets which help boost metabolism (and they're CHEAP and available at Wal-Mart) and they actually had a surprising side-affect of making me more regular.

Also make sure you're taking your daily vitamins - you should be anyways, but it should help with regularity.

And if all else-fails, a "cheat" night at your local Chinese Buffet will CERTAINLY do the trick!

hornet.gif

Going to try this. I have heard great things about cinnamon. When we were kids cinnamon toast(bread, butter and cinnamon) was our treat if we were good!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Eat some of that Jamie Lee Curtis yogurt. Stuff goes right through me, within an hour of eating it.

Not surprising!
  • scjones1964
    Options
    You can also take a nice long soak in a very, very (very) warm tub. Sometimes I find its simply relaxation that is needed.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Here's what works like magic: Senna tea. 'Nuff said!
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your body is readjusting to your diet. You don't need to go everyday but that said if your tummy feels bad then talk to your doctor. When I get a problem like this I drink coffee or Tea. The caffeine stimulates the natural movement of the bowels by absorbing water from the body. DONT try laxatives unless nothing else works they can do more harm then good. Laxatives will pull a very large amount of water from the body and can cause dehydration. After your body is dehydrated it will want to hold onto the water thus just creating a cycle of being irregular.
  • Azaelia11
    Options
    try a nice herbal laxative tea. i know the feeling. ive changed my diet and excercise around that my bodys just trying to regulate itself and it'll get back on track, just give it time :)
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone said anything yet but you might want to look at your iron intake. If you have suddenly started getting more iron in your diet or if you started taking a vitamin with iron included in it, that might be contributing to constipation. I have always had low iron counts but it is usually only an issue with pregnancy and the docs will have me take iron pills. I ALWAYS have issues when I take iron pills (or too much iron). Just a thought.

And like others have said- 3 days isn't horrible. I use to average about that often until I had my appendix removed a few years ago (strange I know). After having my appendix removed I average daily or every other day unless I just eat real junky for a couple days in a row. Give your body a little time to adjust to a new diet or talk to your doctor about it (since it seems you have other health concerns and it might be best to discuss this with your doctor before trying anything).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    get some milk of magnesia ..if that doesnt work get a bisacodyl suppository .... if that doesnt work then drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and stay near a toilet for the day because magnesium citrate is the Liquid Plumber for the human intestinal tract

None of the above! Your body is just adjusting to your new diet, be patient.

Yes. People vary. People vary over time.

For many of us, a few times a week (or way less) is normal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Eat some yogurt or some other pro-biotic rich food. Your gut bacteria might be a little out of whack with a change in diet. I always go for the food fixes before resorting to store bought remedies.

I agree 100% with this...get some good greek yogurt in you once a day.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree that taking in some form of live and active cultures may help with this as well as pushing fluids. Unless you are lactose intolerant, yogurt and cottage cheese are great foods to add to your diet, along with flaxseed. You may also want to evaluate your healthy fat consumption. You may be restricting your fat intake too low.

Hope all works it's way out soon :wink:
  • melnia89
    melnia89 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on the loo. Bring in a good book. Relax. Take your time. Sip a strong coffee. Sometimes we are far too busy for our own good.

Actually I would advise against this. Evidently spending too much time sitting on the toilet (reading, doing taxes, whatever, while waiting for the urge to poo) has been touted as the leading cause of hemmoroids. Your body is actually meant to SQUAT, not sit daintily on a throne while moving your bowels, and sitting on the toilet places an unnatural strain on your colon. An excessive amount of time spent on the toilet only exascerbates the problem.

There are a TON of great tips in this thread, so try one or two of them (I would also avoid the senna tea...) and find something that works for you. When your body is ready to go, it will. Don't try too hard to force it unless you are majorly uncomfortable -- in which case, see your doctor.

Your body is adjusting to a new diet, and most physicians will tell you that going anywhere from 3 times per day to once every 3 days is 'normal'.

You are right! I have unfortunately suffered hemorrhoids my life and they said to avoid the toilet til the last minute. Pushing makes it worse.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your suggestions. i do drink 8-14 glasses of water a day, i don't drink coffee, i am eating greek yogurt everyday and at least 3 fruits a day and some veggies, i need more of those. i had radiation in 89 and since then i have been constifpated. i already take a feminine laxative every night before bed. the prunes don't work, the black licorice works, but i'm not suppose to take that since i take aspirin and it will thin my blood too much. i know grma utz potato chips with lard usually worked for me, but i am only eating them on thurs cheat night now. i don't eat cheese since i know that makes me really constipated. i was taking raspberry ketones and that was helping but my mom got me a different brand with caffeine and green tea and they aren't working. i used to take a supplement turkey rhubarb, but when i had my colonoscopy the dr said my colon was black and he told me not to take that anymore. the psyllium husks bulks up too much and that backs me up too. i fell and hurt my knee so i can't do alot of exercise right now till i see hte dr next thurs. will have to wait it out or try my daughters metamucil again. i used to do the milk of magnesia, maybe i'll have to get that too.

thanks rae

Sounds like you have some issues outside the norm. Calorie reduction will slow down the process. Also normal is different for everyone. Every other day is probably ok as long as it is not difficult or hurt when you do go. I do have a couple of suggestions that others might not have mentioned. I have a different perspective because I'm gluten intollerant and I get lots of fiber from fruit and vegies, but not enough from grains. The inulin from fruit and vegies is great, but you might need more bulk fiber. I found that I sure did when I quit eating whole grain wheat and rye. I found a couple of things that really help me. The first ismilled flax. Add at least a tablespoon of milled flax to your yogurt (I like the golden flax for this). Lots of great fiber, lingnens, omega 3 and other good stuff in milled flax. Try to get two tablespoons a day. I usually have it with fruit and 1/4 cup cottage cheese in the morning. You can add it to lots of recipes, just experiment a little. It's a great way to add fiber. I even put milled flax on ice cream (when I cheat a little). I also take psyllium, but I spread it thoughout the day with my meals (2 capsules each meal). I also take probiotic capsules. I try not to eat too much dairy including yogurt so I found the probiotic supplements really helped me stay more regular.
  • raederr
    raederr Posts: 14
    Options
    yeah, i finally went yesterday, 5th day. i am now taking some of my CF daughters probiotic and i took some of my other daughters metemucil and my laxative. hopefully it will stay regular soon. i am also having my greek yogurt everyday too. thanks again. rae