I'm under on my calories daily

Options
I usually am under anywhere from 400 to 600 daily,I'm loosing weight though,18 lbs. so far,my wife is way under and she also is loosing,20 lbs. so far both started a motnth ago.I know not to starve but we work out 5 days a week and burn 500 to 900 calories a day,so after it adds back what you earned it's just too much food.From some of you seasoned veterans out there,what if anything should we do?

Replies

• Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    From what I understand (and someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong) as long as you are eating at least 1200 calories a day you're good. The deficit means you're going to lose the weight.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if I can consider myself a "seasoned veteran" but I'd say these are your options:

1. Start eating more healthy calories now
    2. Go with what you're doing now and readjust when you hit that inevitable plateau.

I took avenue number dos thinking because I was so obese my body could handle a very large calorie deficit. I was right for a while, the problem was I didn't know when to start eating more to keep away that notorious "starvation mode" (and no, it's not a myth, it's one of your body's survival mechanisms). It has been quite a struggle to get past these plateaus & find the right calorie intake for my body. I just broke plateau #3 (yep, 3 plateaus since January). Just FYI, I'm now up to eating 90-100% of my exercise calories. :wink:
    Before that first plateau, I was eating 0-10%. I learned my lesson the hard way. But at least I learned it. Seems like a lot of people just quit trying once they hit a major plateau like that. :ohwell:

My advice is to educate yourself more on the subject (which I know is what you're trying to do here) and do what you feel you need to do for yourselves. Everyone's different. It could be that the 2 of you can handle larger deficits for long periods of time. My body did it for 4.5 months. But it can't even handle a 1000 calorie deficit anymore. I'm happy to oblige by eating more. :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    From what I understand (and someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong) as long as you are eating at least 1200 calories a day you're good. The deficit means you're going to lose the weight.

Yeah, you're (generally) wrong. :wink:
    Start reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • trisha8283
    trisha8283 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was always under my calorie goal as well...I talked to my doctor and she said as long as I am full and not starving myself then I am good...I am a smaller person so she recommended me not to go under 1000 calories a day typically I ate about 800-1000 I lost 34 lbs in 3 months once I reached my goal I added about 100 calories a week for a week until I got up to about 1400 calories a day I have maintained my weight now for 3 months! So in my opinion KEEP IT UP!!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I'm always under my calorie goal. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day and will not force myself to eat. Listen to your body, if you're not hungry or fatigued, I wouldn't be to concerned. My goal is 1560 but I'm usually around 1300 to 1400 a day.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I appreciate both of your comments,and from past experience on the yo yo train,I know you're right.I think my wife is going to be the hard sell.She feels like if she's loosing weight don't mess with it.I figured that it was or at least will become an issue sooner or later.

Now to recap ZAGGY,it would be wise to try to get as close as possible to my target calories excluding my calories burned and then gradually build in the calories burned 10% as an example and or more as we begin to hit the plateaus?
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I'm always under my calorie goal. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day and will not force myself to eat. Listen to your body, if you're not hungry or fatigued, I wouldn't be to concerned. My goal is 1560 but I'm usually around 1300 to 1400 a day.
    For what it's worth, I was never hungry or fatigued eating 1200 calories a day.
    Yet I stopped losing weight & actually started gaining a little. I was doing everything the same as I had been.
    Unfortunately, you can't just "listen to your body." Or, maybe you can but you have to understand your body's language. When your weight loss stops, that's probably your body telling you to eat more (if you're eating just 1200 cals & exercising). Most people don't get the message.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you are working out as much as you are ("work out 5 days a week and burn 500 to 900 calories a day"), you probably should be eating more calories than just the minimum. Your body needs the fuel to continue working hard and working as efficiently as it possibly can. In my opinion, I would eat more throughout the day. Eating throughout the day will help you sky-rocket your metabolism as well as get in all the calories you need to keep your body happy. This is what my typical eating schedule looks like (this is mine today).

5am-workout 1 hour
    6:45am- breakfast (Scrambled egg whites on sour dough english muffin)
    8:30am- morning snack (Wheat chex mix)
    10:30am- morning snack (raw strawberry slices)
    12:00pm- snack (light cheese stick)
    1:00pm- Lunch (Whole wheat pasta with red sauce + steamed broccoli)
    3:00pm- Snack (Raw natural almonds)
    4:30pm- Snack (Apple w/ natural peanut butter)
    6:00pm- Dinner (Salmon + small red baked potato+ asparagus)
    7:00pm- possible snack (depends on what I'm feeling...I have 200 calories left)
    10:30pm---BEDTIME!

I am initially granted 1450 calories a day. I typically burn about 550 calories a day, so I eat about 1900-2000 calories a day total. Now, I know this sounds like a lot. But, I am eating every 2 hours as you can see from my schedule. And if I don't eat at least every 2 hours...my stomach is killing me! Since I've started doing this I broke through a 4 month plateau. I attribute that breakthrough to eating more. I've also noticed my body has been able to do more, as far as workouts go. Before (even when I considered myself "in shape") I would get dizzy or lightheaded after a 30 minute workout. Now I can push through and do 60 minutes worth, no problem.

If you feel at first eating that many calories is too much...gradually increase your intake by like 100 each week until you get up to the full amount (daily intake + exercise cals). You'll be less likely to hit a plateau. And if you do, then at least you can adjust your calories lower if needed...unlike right now, you won't be able to do that without eating below the minimum.

Also, those links that LittleSpy posted are GREAT posts, definitely check them out!
  • tex43
    Options
    I don't know how to do the quote thingy but Trish and Ron you bring a different perspective,thanks.My wife would love yall for that.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you think your eating enough food and to eat more would be 'too much food' then don't eat anymore.
    I tried out and tested the 'eat more loss more' theory and it did not work for me. I gained weight over three months (double the time it's supposed to turn and you start loosing again.), my weight went back up to my original and way beyond. :o(
    I am small frame, short in height and there's no way that the 'normal' rules apply to me. If I eat 1200 cals with no exercise and I gain weight - SIMPLE FACT. Proved throughout my entire life.
    You say your still loosing weight and feel ok, then stick at it.
    Everyone is different and you have to do what works for you.
    I found eating more made me sluggish and lazy and I didn't want to work out and when I did I felt horrible because there was too much food inside my stomach, running- even walking is horrible like than and sit ups are disgusting when full. Makes you not want to work out and it's an effort and unpleasant when you do it.
    There's absolutely no way I was ever going to loose weight eating back all my exercise cals. Tested it and it did not work I gained, Big time!! I felt horrible for it too. Now I eat less and eat back some exercise cals and actually enjoy my exercise.
    I have much more energy this way and I feel great. And I'm loosing still.
    Do what feels right to YOU!! And good luck with your goals :smile:
  • tex43
    Options
    thanks Kick like a girl,that was very informative and very helpfull.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure I agree with having to HAVE to eat your exercise calories (I know this is shocking to some who know me) but hear me out first.
    At the beginning, especially for a male who is obese (not sure if you are or not, but judging by your weight loss I'd say that's probably true, or it was before the 18 lbs at least), the maximum deficit of 1000 calories sometimes can be pushed a little bit higher. This is possible for multiple reasons but mainly because how much fat you can burn is tied very closely to how much fat is AVAILABLE to burn. That means the more you have to lose, the larger your deficit can be.

Now This doesn't mean you'll be able to keep this type of deficit up, and as a general rule you should slowly decrease the deficit as you lose the weight, in order to come closer to a more normal eating routine that will allow you to transition from weight loss to maintenance at the end of it all.

One other thing to note, that 1200 calorie thing, that's for the ladies mike, for you, it's supposed to be 1800 calories (generally speaking for men it's 1800 and women it's 1200 as a minimum), why? Well mostly because men have more muscle mass and require more nutrients. But this (like the first concept I stated above) is a very cloudy number, and can be tweaked and played with because in the end, our bodies are all very unique, and what works for me may not work exactly the same for you.
  • tex43
    Options
    Thanks Mel G,makes sense.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories to my goal and ended up gaining weight. I spoke to my doctor who encouraged me to go back to doing what I was before. Everyone's body is different you have to do what works for the individual.
  • tex43
    Options
    SH Boss the calculater has me for 1360 and my wife at 1200,but I hear what your saying and it really does make a lot of sense,and really essentially it echoes for the most part what the others are saying.We have to listen to our bodies and tweek it as we go with what works.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about doing what feels good for you and your body also. I just thought I'd share what helped me since I had this mentality at first that if I ate more I couldn't lose weight. But, it was untrue in my case and in many others. As hard and cliche as it sounds, keep listening to your body. Try out different things and see what works, as you go along this journey you'll probably be like the rest of us and keep adjusting to what feels good for you!

BTW, congrats on losing 18 pounds...that is GREAT!!! And cheers to your wife too!! Its so fun to do the journey together...i love working out and eating healthy with my husband!!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm usually under too, I try to eat back some of my exercise calories though, I like to stay at maybe 100 -200 calories under (with exercise calories included) but 500 does sound like a lot. Try adding nuts or peanut butter - healthy options with higher calories and good fats or add in an extra snack at the end of your day or after a work out. Food is not the enemy - our bodies need food for fuel - especially if we're working out. I'm not saying you have to eat all of your calories, but I would aim a little higher than where you are. My husband struggles with this too, he has lost more than me - 36 lbs- and has a ridiculous amount of calories he can eat - he doesn't eat any of his exercise calories. I am always pushing him to eat more, but he has the same idea - if its not broke don't fix it. His loss has started to dramatically decrease these past few weeks so I'm hoping he tries my theory to see if eating more will work. Good luck to you and your wife - its great when a couple can get in on this together - its nice to have someone at home with you working toward your same goal. :smile:
  • tex43
    Options
    Thanks Dawn,best wishes!:smile:
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options
    i set my goal @ 1 pound a week since i only wanted to lose around 10. I have been tracking for 26 days now and have lost 5 pounds. I eat NEARLY ALL of my exercise calories back daily. Here's how it was explained to me....

eat around 1200 (right over) if u are doing NO exercise.

IF you exercise, eat those back b/c you will drop your body into starvation mode below 1200.

1200 - 300 =900
    cal. - burned off=net

your body is living on the net for that day...basically...and it is below 1200....
  • tex43
    Options
    Thanks HP will do.