Introduction - Hypothyroidism

Options
jj1973
jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
Hi. I am a middle aged female who has been on synthroid for over 15 years. I have at least 20 lbs to lose. My spouse is not supportive. He's fine with my weight where it is (although I think he secretly likes it when I shed a few). I have 3 children and work full time. I am always trying to cook quickly. I was on Jenny Craig last year and lost 10 lbs, but their local store closed and I quit the program. I have kept off at least 7 of the 10 lbs for 6 months, but I want to get the full 20 off.

Any tips for someone on replacement thyroid meds? One of the Jenny consultants said that I needed to be sure and eat plenty of protein. My primary care physician says the same thing....

Replies

• Nettie96fb
    Options
    I have Hashimotos Disease...dead thyroid...I've just been eating what I would call 'clean', and exercising everyday...I've lost 43lbs in 4months...I'm enjoying the journey...please add me if you like, my diaries are open to friends. I never stop eating...fruit, vegies...yogurts...drinking lots of water...I don't go hungry. I wouldn't know anything about 'special' diets...I've never been told I should have one by my doctor...Good luck on your journey.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I've had a hypothyroid since I was a child and have been on synthroid all my life. I definitely eat protein, but it's more of a result of the foods that I like to eat rather than a focus on it. I met my weight loss goal by a combination of diet and exercise. Based on my experience, exercise is incredibly important in order to raise and maintain your metabolism. I've never been able to lose weight and keep it off by diet alone. You're welcome to add me - would love to provide support/encouragement.
  • jj1973
    Options
    I will add you both. Thanks. I am happy to have found the group!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i have hashimoto disease... i am 22... i have 2 kids and i found out after my second... i am soo glad this thread came up!!! i have to take a thyroid medicine my entire life (but i dont mind because it doesnt give side effects)

the disease made me such a crazy person it still put holes in my relationship... but now im getting better after being medicated for almost 1 year :)

i am very happy that i didnt really see weight gain my effects were mainly just mood swings.. which i still get.. also the feeling of being cold!! HATED it.... i felt like my body would go into shock when i felt cold... yay! now i finally get hot lol...

i hope u guys add me and put "thyroid" in the friend request it would be REALLY nice knowing people with the same issues... i also put the medication in my diary so i remember if i took it... i donthave a problem with forgetting anymore :)
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ps... i didnt know i had to eat a special diet? i still eat the things i want just less of it....
  • MrsJSF
    MrsJSF Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in the same boat as you and also have to lose 20lbs or so. I have lost 9lbs so far on MFP. My advice would be to try and eat protein with every meal and I can't stress the importance of logging every bite you eat. It really works with me. I do moderate exercise 6 x a week and try and stay under my calorie goal. I allow myself one cheat day. I don't OVER indulge but I do eat some dessert then. Also, don't be tempted to get on the scale regularly. It might work for some people but I weigh myself randomly every 5 (or 7 or 10) days and I'm always surprised. The 9lbs just means clothes fit SLIGHTLY better but thats what I'm going on, how I look and feel rather than beat myself up over numbers on the scale (which for us girls with hormone issues, fluctuate quite a bit). Good luck, please hang in there. We're all in this together :) Hugs
  • jj1973
    Options
    My doctor seems to think that I am at an elevated risk for diabetes because of the thyroid issue. If that's so, I have wondered about adjusting my diet to head this off. Have any of you heard this?
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    I have Hashimotos Disease...dead thyroid...I've just been eating what I would call 'clean', and exercising everyday...I've lost 43lbs in 4months...I'm enjoying the journey...please add me if you like, my diaries are open to friends. I never stop eating...fruit, vegies...yogurts...drinking lots of water...I don't go hungry. I wouldn't know anything about 'special' diets...I've never been told I should have one by my doctor...Good luck on your journey.

I forget to say that I do take medication every day...in Australia it's called Thyroxine...I take 2 x 75 a day
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been on synthroid for 11 yrs, loosing wt. is very difficult, I have to work twice as hard as anyone. As a former nurse I educate myself as much as I can on this subject, so through experience and what I have learned, I can be good support, and answer questions when they come up, feel free to friend me!
  • tapdance66
    Options
    About 10 years ago, I finished a two year plan of learning to eat healthy & exercise and lost 150 pounds. About a month after reaching goal, I found out I have Hypothroidism. My doctor was amazed that I had been able to lose all that weight when I wasn't medicated because it was pretty advanced. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure within a few months after I lost all the weight. Mostley just genetics kicking in for both things. I've been on Synthroid and high blood pressure meds since then and I've been able to maintain my weight within a 10 pound window.
    After I was diagnosed, I was upset because I felt like I worked so hard, but I was medically "healthier" when I was heavy - so ironic!! But talking with my Physician was helpful. She helped me to see that the takeaway from everything is that no matter what situation you are in, it can be controlled if you are conscious about your decisions.
    I do find, though, that I have to be very diligent about watching what I eat - I guess I do eat protein, but I don't like the taste of red meat, so I eat poultry and a lot of beans. Even though I've maintained my weight for so long, I still plan and log every bite of food I eat every day - some on MFP, but I'm really better at putting it in a little diary I carry with me. I add notes and recipes, etc. into that as well. I like MFP, but it didn't exist when I was losing weight so I guess I'm just a paper and pen girl. :)
    I also exercise 6x/week. I get up at 3:30 in the morning to do it because I have to be at work at 6:30. My son is in college now, but I did it even when he was home. That was the only time I had and I felt it was important so I just did it. Now I'm used to it and I miss it if I don't get up.
    Someone else made the point that they have to work twice as hard as others. I'd agree with that. I'm envious of the girls who can walk 30 minutes/3 times a week and strength train twice, eat 1800 calories a day and maintain or lose weight. That will never be me. I will always be a 1200/calorie a day girl who has to exercise a LOT. That's the physiology of my body and I've learned to accept it and have a full, happy, and contented life living with it.
    Sunday is always my "cheat" day. I do not exercise on that day, other than walking the dog (which is not really exercise, if you knew my dog. LOL). I also let myself eat what I want, although I have found that my tastes have really changed over the years. Now a "cheat food" might be a few tortilla chips crushed up on top of a salad with chicken & salsa where ten years ago, it would have been a huge bowl of buttered popcorn. I also, almost always, take a nap on Sunday which I LOVE!!
    I would not say my husband is "supportive" in how I monitor my lifestyle, but it's not because he doesn't love me. It's because he doesn't understand the diseases and what it means to live with them. He is afraid I will get "too skinny," and he likes me the way I am so I don't fault him for that. We have just come to the understanding that sometimes I can't eat what he does and that's ok. He's pretty good about eating what I cook so I try to make most of our meals at home and then I know we are both eating healthy.
    Good luck to you and I would encourage you that you can be healthy and happy living with hypothroidism!! :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more weigh to lose then most people in this thread but I have hypothyroidism and I just recently found out I had it. I got put on a med and it seems to working for me. My doctor said I am just a bit low so I only talk 0.25 mcg on Synthroid/Levothyroxine (hopefully I am spelling this right, I am a nursing student but I don't feel like looking them up) and I don't see much of a change. I diet the same maybe because my doctor has told me no different. He said it should make it a bit easier for me too lose weight that's what he had it checked to start with because of my weight problems.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have had hypothyroidism for the last seventeen years. I take Levoxyl and it works pretty well. I still get tired a lot but it's hard to say why, it could be that I have over a hundred pounds to lose. Yeah, that's my guess, it has to be the extra weight. My Dr. never told me to eat extra protein or anything like that. Anyway, I'm new here and could use some friends if you or anyone else would like to add me.
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've also on been on synthroid for the past 5 years. I don't know if this is true or not, but someone recently told me that a tsp of cinnamon each day can help as well. I recently started trying it - so when I have my levels checked next month will let you know what the doc says. I have found that with eating a well-balanced diet and exercise the weight is finally starting to come off.

Anyone on this thread - please feel free to add me.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on the same for at least 5 years now. It has helped him a lot, but he is a skinny guy so after he got on it he shed weight easily.
    One site I totally recommend and is very do able (what I am striving for right now) is http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
    This website is amazing to start you off on clean eating and getting you in a routine of eating better. I have started little things and I already see a difference in my energy and feeling better in general. Of course eating and working out both help. But I found with my hubby eating better sheds it off him easily.
    Also, make sure you do get your levels checked regularly as it does matter. Changing levels of meds makes a difference.
    Good Luck and just know EVERY situation is different. My hubby can eat better for a week and be down 10-15 lbs, whereas someone it takes a month.
  • jj1973
    Options
    I gained 20 lbs prior to my diagnosis 15 years ago - which left me hospitalized for 4 days while they pumped me full of synthroid. 5-7 lbs fell off immediately with all of the excess fluid. I did finally lose the other 15 after a very stressful year (many years later), but it has crept back on.

I won't begin to pretend like I eat right, so hopefully some healthy changes will make a quick impact.

I do know that I am not supposed to eat 30 min before or after taking my synthroid, and I stick to that pretty well.
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hashimotos about nine years ago. At the time I had gained about twenty pounds - I did lose it all, but then gained some back. Because of the hashimotos, I'm also hypoglycemic, so I just make sure I eat something high in protein a little bit before exercising.

My diary is open, so feel free to add me.
  • Hi, I was diagnosed with Hypothyrodism (underactive thyroids) 8 years ago and on medication for it , but still having problems shedding the weight, hence why i am trying this app out, have so far lost 2Ibs in two weeks. Be happy for anyone to become my friend and exchange notes etc.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am also Hypothyroid. Have taken Levo but don't think it is effective. i take SYnthroid now. I lost 30 pounds quickly on Atkins and after that, I haven't been able to lose. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid at that time. I truly beleive the Atkins diet or the fast weight loss caused my thyroid issues. Anyway, I will be adding you as friends. I need a group who understands the slow weight loss we encounter. I also need tips and tricks! :glasses:
  • elsiesnow
    elsiesnow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also am hypothyroid. I've been taking Synthroid or it's generic for 14 years. I'd have to agree with other posters that it does seem to take a lot more exercise to get the pounds off. I've been eating better than I used to (I used to eat a lot of processed crap and fast food) since New Year's, but I haven't lost major pounds. Of course, I didn't really up my exercise level a whole lot either. I did manage to lose the weight I put on from New Year's celebrations, but that just put me back at my starting point :)~ I have lost 2% body fat according to my fancy scale/monitor thing, and I think I can lay that down to no more Mickey D's!

Eating better and making better nutritional choices does make me feel better overall. Today and tomorrow are my weekend this week, so I am planning on laying out a meal plan for the week (for the first time). I'm planning on a lot more veggies and fruit in my diet.

Today is going to be a 10K day! I got a pedometer for Xmas, and I had honestly thought that most days I was walking 5 or 6K. Um, no. Reality is about half that. Wow!! So since then, I have had some 5K+ days, and I am working up to walking 10K Every Day. I know if I'm going to lose weight with being hypothyroid I am probably going to have to exceed 10K per day, and this is going to be a lifestyle change for me. Baby steps will get us all there!

Feel free to add me if you would like a friend or support! Please add a note or 'thyroid' so I know where you're coming from :) I am really enjoying all the support and encouragement from others and would like to share some too!
  • vickyloft5
    Options
    I'm so pleased having found this thread as i also have hypothyroidism.I was diagnosed 15yrs ago and prescribed thyroxine my daily dose was at one point 400mcg n still none effective.Thankfully for me i now have a much more understanding GP that pointed out straight away that for a start i had been prescribed the wrong iron tablets which is why my body wasn't absorbing the thyroxine. 3 months on i'm now down to 150mcg daily and feeling well enough to tackle my weight issues,which brought me to this app and how glad am i it really is fantastic.I struggle to hit my daily cal target as i don't have much of an appetite i have cut out almost all wheat products from my diet as was advised and managed to lose 12lb in my first week.I don't expect to lose anywhere near that again 1lb a week would be lovely as i like many others realize that i'm here for the long haul journey and will continue to strive one day at a time with hiccups along the way.
    I'd love to hear from anyone,sorry i haven't added a pic at mo my lappy wont drag pics n all the wrong bits are chopped off.I wish you all continued success on your journeys and hope to catch up with you soon ...x