Healthy homemade Pizza Recipes

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Google Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipes. Fantastic way to still have pizza by making it healthier.

You can also use other veggies like eggplants or if you can find really large circumference zuchinni. Just cut in a 1cm" thickness slice, rub with olive oil and bake for a few minutes first then cool and add sauce and toppings, slip back in the oven and finish baking. (until the toppings are brown). If you find it gets to moist try making the slices a night before and put a teensy bit of salt over the top and bottom (a pinch on each should be more than enough) and wrap in a paper towel on a dish that can cup fluids. Give it a little squeeze before you go to do the first part of the baking and it should have much less fluid.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you have a bread maker there should be a dough setting. You simply add all the ingredient and let the machine do it's job. :smile:

4 cups flour
    2tsp yeast
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 3/8 cup water
    3 tbsp olive oil
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use fajitas and pop them in the oven 350, for 20 minuets. Top with whatever low cal house options. Bam.
    The fajita shells I use are like 80 caloires a pop.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    Pizza dough is fairly easy to make and you can get recipes anywhere (I like traditional Italian thin crust a la New Haven style) so I use Marie Espositio's recipe (Ciao Italia).

Hand stretch it to make a very thin crust (I can get a pound of dough to cover a 1/2 sheet cake pan). Spray the pan lightly with olive oil before laying the dough down. Spray the top of the unbaked crust lightly with more olive oil (I use a mister). Spread/sprinkle on some soft cheese (not an inch thick! goat cheese is best, ricotta or blue cheese works too), add caramelized onion (I use one large vidalia sauteed in olive oil, then drained), and very thinly sliced proscuitto.

Drizzle with a fig-balsamic reduction (super easy to make - 1/2 cup fig puree, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup of water - simmer until blended and syrupy).

Bake at 500 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the crust is to your liking. Finish by piling fresh baby arugla on the top, and some shaved parmesan cheese.

My idea of healthy might be different from others - but this is such a flavorful pizza that has all my favorite ingredients, and it's made from scratch - that I consider it a worthwhile caloric expenditure.

Here's the macro breakdown:

1/2 sheet cake pan cut into 16 slices, 2 slices per serving:

Calories:278
    Carbs:33
    Fat:13
    Protein:12
    Cholesterol: 16
    Sodium: 471
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make pizza dough all the time, I'm all about the real thing in moderation. -

3 cups unbleached flour, sometimes I substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for one of the white
    1 cup warm water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
    1 package rapid rise yeast

Dissolve the yeast and honey in the warm water, add a tablespoon of olive oil. In a kitchenaid with dough hook attachment, combine flour and salt. With the mixer on low, add water/yeast mixture. Let knead for a few minutes. Dough should form a ball, but be slightly sticky - you may need to add a bit more flour, a little at a time. Coat the dough with the remaining olive oil and let rise in a warm spot for about 20 minutes.
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat pitas for a great thin crust and top with a little sauce, cheese, cooked chicken, roasted red peppers, chopped onion and fresh mushrooms. Delish! Whole Foods and most super markets carry their own whole wheat dough.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neapolitan pizza allows for only the following ingredients: water, flour, salt, yeast, garlic, tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, and mozzarella cheese. That's some clean healthy eating right there.
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungry Girl she has some really good and good tasting pizza recipes.
    I like skinnytaste.com also for great tasting alternatives.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just changed the way I order pizza. I now order it with thin crust, light on the cheese, ham instead of pepperoni or sausage and all the veggies. It works out to be under 200 calories a slice. I also order a salad to go with it.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here is a tasty recipe from skinnytaste.com

LAVASH FLATBREAD PIZZA

Servings: 2 • Serving size: 2 squares • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 191.8 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 12.2 g • Carb: 23.9 g • Fiber: 1.4 g • Sugar: 1.4 g

Ingredients:

9x12" lavash flatbread
    olive oil spray
    3 tbsp marinara sauce
    2 oz reduced fat shredded mozzarella
    pinch dried oregano
    2 tbsp fresh basil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°. If you have a pizza stone, heat it as well.

Spray lavash lightly with oil then top with sauce. Too much sauce will make the bread soggy so don't over-do it.
    Top with cheese and oregano, then bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.Remove from the oven and cut into 4 pieces. Top with fresh basil and eat immediately.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Similar to the post above ^^ you can use a flatout (a huge tortilla/flat is only 90 cals) to make a thin crust type pizza. Top it with a bit of sauce, a handful or two of low fat mozzarella and then load it up with veggies. You can get a whole pizza (enough for 2 people) for under 350 cals!

I think I know what I'm making for lunch today!! :tongue:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/

I only use whole wheat, even though the recipe calls for about half all purpose. Makes two thin dough pizzas that will fit the average pizza pan in stores.

I forgot to add that this dough freezes well. Take a ziplock out of the freezer and let it thaw for a couple of hours.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just made one. 2 weight watchers tortilla wraps, 1 tablespoon tomato purée, half a small onion, 40g pepper, 25g mushrooms and 15g grated Parmesan cheese.
    Pop in oven until cooked a voila! A pizza for only 320 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bump.....I want an easy crust recipe

Fleischmann’s Pizza Crust .... 1 step ... easy

1 3/4 - 2 1/4 cups of flour
    1 envelope Fleischmann’s® Pizza Yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup of very warm water (120° to 130° F)
    3 tablespoons oil

Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add water and oil. Mix together until well blended; about 1 minute. Add ½ cup flour gradually until dough forms a ball. Add additional flour, if needed, to handle. Spoon dough out of bowl onto floured surface. Dough will be slightly sticky. Knead on floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic; about 4 minutes.
    Press dough out to fill greased pizza pan. Top as desired with pizza sauce, cheese and toppings. Bake on bottom oven rack at 425° for 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crust is brown.

**** Use whole wheat flour if you like & roll the dough really thin. Toppings - turkey pepperoni is much lower in fat. Use less cheese. Add more veggies. Yum!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I had that just last night. I make it using Flatout for the crust. I have yet to try turkey pepperoni so what I made last night was with regular old Hormel pepperoni, Classico pizza sauce, Publix 6-cheese Italian, and red onion.

Bake the Flatout for 5 min at 350, then for 7 min after you put the toppings on.

319 cal
    26 g carb
    20 g fat (so yea, I need to try that turkey pep or leave it off and go for low-fat cheese)
    22 g protein.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    my secret here is a bit of a cheat. My main goal is, other than to eat something nutritious and in my macros, to know what I'm eating. I do this best by assembling a fake pizza from known quantities (in this case from Trader Joe's):

1 organic whole wheat pizza
    1 spritz olive oil (I count it as 1/2 tab)
    1 fresh mozzarella stick
    2 tab organic garlic roasted tomato sauce
    (add veggies or whatever).

nuke it for 30-40 sec to melt cheese, then toast in toaster oven to crisp up.
  • Tootce01
    Tootce01 Posts: 184
    Options
    I love this pizza!! It's from the Sonoma Diet.

GREEK PIZZA

12 inch wholemeal Italian Bread Shell (I used 1 wholemeal lebanese bread, as I was cooking only for one person)
    2 cups baby spinach
    8 ounces cooked & sliced chicken breast
    1/2 cup quarted cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup low fat feta cheese, crumbled
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano,crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

Red Wine Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
    11/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
    2 tablespoon olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400F

Place bread on baking tray. Top with spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, nuts, oregano and rosemary. Drizzle viaigrette.

Vinaigrette
    In a small bowl mix vinegar and shallot. Stand 5 mins. Whisk in mustard. Add oil in thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Whisk in salt and pepper. It can last in the fridge for up to 3 days, but let stand at room temperature for 30mins and then whisk.

Bake in 400f 10 -15 mins
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When we've made pizza I've always cheated and bought the dough from the grocery store and rolled that out. It's usually in a mini-fridge near the bakery and they have a few favors of dough including whole wheat. A couple local places sell their dough too if you ask.

But for common toppings for us are:

broccoli florets,
    fresh tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes,
    garlic,
    chopped spinach (thawed from frozen works if you squeeze it dry it first),
    black olives (yuck for me but hubby likes them),
    cheese, BBQ sauce or red sauce or just olive oil,
    and maybe some pre-grilled chicken
  • nniles01
    nniles01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We found a flatbread by California Lavash at whole foods that we think beats the others like Flat Outs hands down. It makes a nice thin crispy crust. A sheet of it is approximately 8" x 14" and 140 calories. I can make one with turkey pepperoni, 4 tbs or less of Ragu pizza quick sauce, and 1/3 cup of part skim mozzarella for a total of 350 calories. Our kids love them and like making their own pizza.
  • saralynelleroberts
    Options
    I have used wheat pita breads, wheat tortillas or those mini crusts from walmart that come 3 to a pack! Never tried anything homemade, just fast and convenient and calorie-friendly :smile: If you like some meat and similar to canadian bacon, I love to use turkey bacon!!! I have tried chicken alfredo pizza, cheese pizza, ground turkey instead of hamburger. I only make mini pizzas for each of us in my family to have our own so we can put what we want on them and so we have some portion control!!! I could never give up pizza!!!