Exercise!

Options
Ok, so I know that exercise is very important to losing weight rapidly... However, considering I work fulltime, go to school parttime, and have a 10 month old son... I find it VERY hard to find anytime to exercise everyday. My fulltime job is desk work so I don't get much exercise at all throughout the day. I use the time after my son goes to bed at night for homework. Does anyone have a weight loss success story that doesn't involve working out a few times a week?? I'm hoping just the cut back in sweets and eating right throughout the day will be enough to help me shed some pounds. Is this wishful thinking??

Replies

• policebaby
    Options
    Eating clean is definately going to help you drop weight, unfortunately you still need physical activity. Not only to shed pounds but to maintain a healthy body! "Working out" is not needed but ...Try walking as much as possible at work. Take frequent trips to a copy machine or the parking lot mail box, or something...(invest in a pedometer and take a minimum of 10,000 steps a day). Take an after dinner walk every night, put your son in a stroller and finish up any steps you didn't do during the day. Do some "at desk" butt and leg exercises, they are available on line (total at desk mini workouts).
    You can definately work walking into your schedule! And it will do wonders!! Good luck!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    No, it's definitely not! In a lot of ways, diet is more important than exercise because it's all about calories in and calories out. If you're eating less and sticking to a set caloric amount, you WILL lose weight!! Exercising will just speed up the process. I'd say for you, try to workout at least 3 days a week, or set an amount for yourself that is realistic and that you know you will achieve. Good luck!
  • tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    What about going for walks during your lunchtime? Since you should eat lunch, either eat at your desk beforehand, or only take 20-30 minutes to eat and then walk around your building (or block, or wherever) for the remainder of the time. Get some music playing and it should help.

Then, on weekends when you're just too burned out to study, put your son in his stroller and take him for a walk around the park!

(Can you tell I'm an advocate for walking?)
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs before i started exercising. I probably would have continued to lose weight even without exercising. I honestly believe that strength training is more important to weight loss that cardio. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight, whether it comes from exercising and dieting or dieting alone. Strength training on the other hand will actually help speed up your metabolism more than cardio and will help you look more toned. I found this great workout on Prevention it takes only 25 minutes and you only do it three times a week. In just two weeks I already can see my body changing. This might be something for you to consider that you may be able to fit into your life.

http://prevention.coverleaf.com/prevention/201003?pg=110#pg110
  • dawnieqt
    dawnieqt Posts: 26
    Options
    What about going for walks during your lunchtime? Since you should eat lunch, either eat at your desk beforehand, or only take 20-30 minutes to eat and then walk around your building (or block, or wherever) for the remainder of the time. Get some music playing and it should help.

Then, on weekends when you're just too burned out to study, put your son in his stroller and take him for a walk around the park!

(Can you tell I'm an advocate for walking?)

Unfortunately, I only get 30 minutes for lunch. :( And most days I'm too busy to even leave my office... I eat while I work!
  • policebaby
    Options
    Eating clean is definately going to help you drop weight, unfortunately you still need physical activity. Not only to shed pounds but to maintain a healthy body! "Working out" is not needed but ...Try walking as much as possible at work. Take frequent trips to a copy machine or the parking lot mail box, or something...(invest in a pedometer and take a minimum of 10,000 steps a day). Take an after dinner walk every night, put your son in a stroller and finish up any steps you didn't do during the day. Do some "at desk" butt and leg exercises, they are available on line (total at desk mini workouts).
    You can definately work walking into your schedule! And it will do wonders!! Good luck!

One more thing...and most importantly...you can get all of the feed back in the world...if you continue to make excuses for why you can not even work walking into your schedule, you never will!
  • dawnieqt
    Options
    Wow... that was uncalled for. I want to exercise or I wouldn't have posted this thread in the first place. I have every intention of trying to fit something in. Whether it be walking or in home workout via workout dvds. I was only curious if I went a while without having the time to fit something in would that cause me NOT to lose weight.
  • dawnieqt
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs before i started exercising. I probably would have continued to lose weight even without exercising. I honestly believe that strength training is more important to weight loss that cardio. If you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight, whether it comes from exercising and dieting or dieting alone. Strength training on the other hand will actually help speed up your metabolism more than cardio and will help you look more toned. I found this great workout on Prevention it takes only 25 minutes and you only do it three times a week. In just two weeks I already can see my body changing. This might be something for you to consider that you may be able to fit into your life.

http://prevention.coverleaf.com/prevention/201003?pg=110#pg110

Thank you so much for this suggestion! I was talking to my husband about toning up last night considering the extra skin that losing weight may leave behind. I was curious if there was an advantage to strength training over cardio and I think you've answered that question for me. Thanks again!! :)