a life time of being fat

Options
Im patty, new here, I am tired of sitting on the sidelines watching the world go by. I am 44 and weigh 308, ouch. Im not proud to say it but I think because I really want to do this I can say it with a different attitude. I hope to be able to climb the stairs at work (3 flights) by my bday, july 4. and loose the 8lbs thats topping me at over 300,. those are short term goals and if all goes well I will add more.

Replies

• jnolen
    jnolen Posts: 6
    Options
    You go girl~!!!! I will support you all i can. this website keeps me honest. I have lost a lot of weight in the past, and now i am struggling with the last 25-30lbs. i will be 40 at the end of the year, and would like to feel "sexy' before that. Let me know what you need and i will do what i can.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    I know how you feel about saying your weight. I feel a lot better saying it now because I know in a year I will not be anywhere close to that! I think short terms goals are the best because you don't feel so overwhelmed. Good luck on your journey to a better you.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Welcome Patty and gook luck there's a lot of people here that are ready, willing, and able to help you. You can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard Patty. :)
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    First, CONGRATS for coming here, and taking that first step! That's fantastic!

Secondly, I began at just over 330 lbs in March. I know what that "ouch" feels like.

And thirdly, babysteps are the way to go, as long as we all have the big picture in mind.

Super proud of you that you're here. :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Patty,

Welcome. There is another member on here who has such a good "welcome to MFP" post that I simply found it and portions of it are in the quote below. Thank you BrenNew for putting a lot of info into a easy reading format:
    ..welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:

I am about 11 years older than you are. I joined MFP in April 2009 and it changed my life for the better. It will be a littel time consuming at first to develop the habits of logging, but give it 30 days and you will have developed a "habit" of logging that you won't want to break. Remember you didn't gain this weight in a month, it will take a while to get to your ultimate goal, but you are NOT on a "diet" you are making a "lifestyle change" so take it one step at a time, and know that everyone on the forum pages is here to help and support you!! Good luck

EDIT: I re-read your post, Patty and noticed a goal expressed for July 4th. It made me think you might like to join the 4th of July Challenge thread. There are people of all ages on it (mostly women) and we are a supportive group. The following link will get hyou there. Once you have posted on that thread, it will come up under your my topics in the community tab and be easy for you to locate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/93090-4th-of-july-challenge-please-join-me?page=4#posts-1297488

Barb
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I will be happy to support your endeavors. Add me as a friend if you would like.:flowerforyou:
  • pattyco23
    pattyco23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! this will help me im sure. I just got my copy of the biggest loser jump start and dvd's I have some major cleaning out the cupboards and frige to do. Im down to my last cup of sugar and when thats gone it wont be coming back in my home, no way. I have made alot of changes in my life in the last year and 1/2 so I figure why stop there.
  • coneyl83
    coneyl83 Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome! We are all here for the same reasons so if ya ever have a bad day or need motivation just let us know!
  • Harper1984
    Harper1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am new here too (only a week in).....good luck on your journey!!!!!
  • MyDream
    MyDream Posts: 72
    Options
    Welcome! I started a year ago but did not follow through and didn't last a week!! Boy am I sorry. But now...now I'm back and I know I can do this. I weigh 260 (ugh) and I know I have to take it one day, sometimes one moment at a time.

You can add me as your friend for motivation, support, and venting. :bigsmile:

Good luck on your journey!!