do ellipitical machines help tone and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit.
    Elliptical is an exercise machine. It provides you a cardio workout.
    Cardio is good for your heart.
    Toning up is a vague term that generally mean "reducing body fat"
    To reduce body fat, you have to maintain lean body mass, or minimize how much is lost
    Strength training and a good diet (good macros) is the best way to maintain lean body mass.

Clear as mud?

We have a winner :drinker:
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As many has said, the elliptical only gets your heart rate up and there for burns fat/calories but does not "tone". If you want to tone try Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred. You will not lose too much weight but you will "tone" your body.

BTW - I have an elliptical and I love it.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    hmmmm well i really wanted to try to see if i could lose the 10 pounds with the ellipitical machine.... that is just somethin i would enjoy doing rather than it feeling like a chore... but if it doesnt help me lose my belly idk what i should do

If it's a fun activity that gets your heart pumping and gets the sweat flowing, then totally do it!

Don't forget the resistance training, as folks in here have said. It'll help you keep your muscle mass as you drop fat, giving you that "tone" you want.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If I do anything at the gym, I do the ellipitical machine for 25 mins. I use the weight loss program on level 10 (the highest). I have doing that for months. The legs and butt are tone. I burn 260-320 calories per session. I really like it.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU LADIES WHO HAVE USED THE MACHINE AND LOVE IT!!! i am going to buy one now!!! and yes probably start working out with jillian michaels 4 times a week.. YAY im excited!!!!! i hope i lose inches! i dont really mind about the weight i just want to lose inches.... ok im going to buy one FOR SURE....
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'd use the money on some dumbbells and run outside or buy a jump rope if you want to do cardio. Toning up is more or less accomplished by retaining fat-free mass (muscle and connective tissue, for example) through resistance training while reducing fat mass to expose the underlying muscle.

This...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose ten pounds and tone up I would recommend a weight lifting regimen...squats, deadlifts, weighted pulls/chins (or unweighted) over head press, etc...combined with calorie defecit this will help you lose body fat%, increase strength, and tone you up ...
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's a great calorie burner and a good way to increase cardio vascular endurance. When I first started using the elliptical, I noticed some soreness in the lower abdomen, lower back, and in the legs (particularly the thighs) the next day, but not so much anywhere else. It can increase strength in the legs if you set the tension high enough, but, when it comes to strength training, there is no replacement for a good weight lifting routine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    if you want to lose ten pounds and tone up I would recommend a weight lifting regimen...squats, deadlifts, weighted pulls/chins (or unweighted) over head press, etc...combined with calorie defecit this will help you lose body fat%, increase strength, and tone you up ...
    This + sufficient protein intake = success.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I can easily burn 200 calories in 10 minutes on the elliptical, so I like it because I don't have a lot of time for my workouts. I stick with it because it's easy and it's convenient. I say go for it :wink:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    lost 24 kg's in 28 weeks using elliptical................:smile::wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :love: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :smokin: :smooched: :drinker: :bigsmile: :blushing:

mmmm - congratulations on the weight loss - great job, but it seems as if a bit more than the elliptical helped you do this???? I suspect eating a calorie deficit, plus some other training as per your own post.....including STRENGTH TRAINING???

Mon: 1836 KCals by Cardio Exercises (30 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 20 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 32.5 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) + 30 mins of Circuit Weight Strength Training..............

Tues: 2308 KCals by Cardio Exercises (50 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 33 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 38.5 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) + 15 mins of Circuit Weight Strength Training..............

Wed: 2265 KCals by Cardio Exercises (50 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 33 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 38.5 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) + 15 mins of Circuit Weight Strength Training..............

Thurs: 1466 KCals by Cardio Exercises (30 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 20 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 33.5 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) ..............

Fri: 1087 KCals by Cardio Exercises (20 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 20 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 20 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) ..............

Sat: 2408 KCals by Cardio Exercises (45 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 20 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 33.5 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) + 55 mins of Circuit Weight Strength Training..............

Sun: 1591 KCals by Cardio Exercises (20 mins on Elliptical Trainer-16th level, 20 mins walk on Treadmill-16 deg high inclined @ 6.5Kmph, 20 mins on Stationary Cycle-20th high level resistance, 40 mins walk @ 3.5Kmph) ..............
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    i am just trying to tone up and lose 10 pounds... :) i currently do not exercise but i am thinking of buying one.. :) i looked online and i saw one for 250$ so very excited but i need to know everyhing about this machines results first lol...

First off, any exercise is better than no exercise.

But I think you'd be better off putting that $250 towards a gym membership where you can use a variety of machines and weights. While lots of people bash Planet Fitness, you could go there for two years for the same amount you'd spend on the elliptical. A cheap elliptical that gets regular use might not even LAST two years.

Personally, I don't like the elliptical. After I broke my ankle, it was torture... it was a very unnatural motion for me. To me, all it does is burn calories. A treadmill can make you a better runner. An exercise bike can make you a stronger biker. An elliptical just... makes you better at using an elliptical. It doesn't translate to any real-life activity. There's been several threads from people who thought they were fit because they could use the elliptical for an hour, until they tried to run a mile.

My advice: Join a gym. Try different things. If you want to "tone up," hit the weights. That will do more to improve your body than any amount of cardio.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    hmm ahhh i see.. alright so obviously the body only loses in the places it HAS fat... ok ok.....

my calorie intake is 1200 as of right now.. but thats because im a small girl.... and i dont have a job or anything.... so thats how mych MFP put me under... it says ill be losing about .5 pounds a week... BUT sometimes i do go over and sometimes i am way under if i just dont have an appetite....

soo as of right now im highly thinking of buying an ellipitical machine... but thats strange because i also heard they can add muscle aswell if you put it on a higher resistance level.....

No, you heard wrong, it is a cardio machine.
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical at the gym but I use it in addition to running and lifting weights. I really like the elliptical because it is easier on my knees than running. The only problem I have with the elliptical is it is very easy for me to get lazy on it if I am not paying attention! I have to concentrate on keeping up my heart rate and not slowing down. I have lost a lot of fat in the past few years and the elliptical has definitely helped. I wouldn't use the elliptical just on it's own, but when you combine it with other cardio and strength training, I think it is great.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU LADIES WHO HAVE USED THE MACHINE AND LOVE IT!!! i am going to buy one now!!! and yes probably start working out with jillian michaels 4 times a week.. YAY im excited!!!!! i hope i lose inches! i dont really mind about the weight i just want to lose inches.... ok im going to buy one FOR SURE....

Seriously, must you waste your money? I used to love the elliptical. It would give me a high calorie burn, and my legs would be sore the next day. I was convinced I was getting an awesome workout. But my body didn't change much... My legs looked a bit nicer I guess, but it certainly didn't help my belly fat. You know what did? Doing compound movements with heavy weights three times a week, combined with a calorie deficit. I look better than your inspiration photo right now. So instead of picking and choosing the advice you want to hear, listen to people explaining the science behind getting the look you're trying to get.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I can easily burn 200 calories in 10 minutes on the elliptical, so I like it because I don't have a lot of time for my workouts. I stick with it because it's easy and it's convenient. I say go for it :wink:

Just as an FYI, in case you care... that's 20 cals per minute, which is EXCEPTIONALLY high. Very few people can hit that, never mind sustain it. I'd bet that's a little high and your actual burn is down closer to 10-15 cals/minute.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical. I use it every day in the winter, because it's -30 here lol and I don't want to go to a gym. I believe any activity that gets you moving is good for you. Will you get big muscles from an elliptical? No. Will you tone, yes, if you have fat to lose, and you are watching your calorie in/calorie out. I use mine on a resistance of 8-10 and really feel my muscles working, I generally do about 45 min sometimes twice a day. I have lost 66 lbs. Don't buy a cheap one, unless you have a good reference for it. Mine was from Costco for about $800. I LOVE it. lol Good luck!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I bought a $780 elliptical machine two years ago and have maybe 30 hrs on it. I hate it; it's boring. I bought it to replace a treadmill and have regretted it from the first week. Last year I decided to start running outside and absolutely love it. This year we bought a weight bench and weights and I'm enjoying that! Going to sell the elliptical and put the money towards another treadmill. I would go for weights before an elliptical if you are looking to get in better "shape" rather than cardio burn.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it. I put it in front of the TV. And go. I burn 600 - 800 cals in 45 min. If I am to believe the machine, which I do not. I think I may burn 500 max.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Just as an FYI, in case you care... that's 20 cals per minute, which is EXCEPTIONALLY high. Very few people can hit that, never mind sustain it. I'd bet that's a little high and your actual burn is down closer to 10-15 cals/minute.

Ok......

I don't have a lot of time to work out. So I up the resistance and do a "running" pace rather than a "walking" pace. According to my HRM, that's what it is.