do ellipitical machines help tone and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• boodly
    boodly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you mind sharing which kind you have?
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i dont want to join a gym because i know for a fact i wont be motavated to get ready and drive in the cold to go down there and then get embarrassed if im not doing the exercises right....

also if i got a personal trainer its 150 for ONLY 3 SESSIONS no.... and its 35 dollars a month and 80 to start HELLLLL NO lol. way to expensive... i dont care if its not the same as running. i hate running lol...

and the planet fitness in my state are like more than 30 minutes away..... i really want to find a machine that i will enjoy... so thats what i was asking... ahh now im starting to get discouraged.........

ill keep my calories at 1200 a day... and ill start working out with a exercise program 4 times a week.. with ellipitical.. will this work
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    Spend $250 on sessions with a personal trainer, home ellipticals are nonsense.

Why are home ellipticals nonsense? I was planning on buying one because its nearly impossible for me to get to the gym.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Do you mind sharing which kind you have?

I have a Horizen E-5 I think. It is old now.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i dont want to join a gym because i know for a fact i wont be motavated to get ready and drive in the cold to go down there and then get embarrassed if im not doing the exercises right....

also if i got a personal trainer its 150 for ONLY 3 SESSIONS no.... and its 35 dollars a month and 80 to start HELLLLL NO lol. way to expensive... i dont care if its not the same as running. i hate running lol...

and the planet fitness in my state are like more than 30 minutes away..... i really want to find a machine that i will enjoy... so thats what i was asking... ahh now im starting to get discouraged.........

ill keep my calories at 1200 a day... and ill start working out with a exercise program 4 times a week.. with ellipitical.. will this work

Try it and see. Will you lose weight? Yes. Will you tone up? Hard to say. Try it for a month and see what happens. Sounds like you've already got your mind made up anyways.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by her elliptical machine, I am more of a runner myself but do use one when my shins need a break. She lost quite a bit of weight while using one but she also switched her diet and weight trained. She strictly used it as her form of cardio. So if you decide to buy one look at the pros, easy on your joints, keeps you inside when weather is harsh, does improve your cardio, burns calories. Cons takes up a lot of space, may not be as hard of a cardion workout than other options.
    I think if you got one and combined it with strength/resistance training as well as a healthy diet you can reach your goals
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    250 is like two years membership to planet fitness...that could be a much better buy
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    THANK YOU LADIES WHO HAVE USED THE MACHINE AND LOVE IT!!! i am going to buy one now!!! and yes probably start working out with jillian michaels 4 times a week.. YAY im excited!!!!! i hope i lose inches! i dont really mind about the weight i just want to lose inches.... ok im going to buy one FOR SURE....

Seriously, must you waste your money? I used to love the elliptical. It would give me a high calorie burn, and my legs would be sore the next day. I was convinced I was getting an awesome workout. But my body didn't change much... My legs looked a bit nicer I guess, but it certainly didn't help my belly fat. You know what did? Doing compound movements with heavy weights three times a week, combined with a calorie deficit. I look better than your inspiration photo right now. So instead of picking and choosing the advice you want to hear, listen to people explaining the science behind getting the look you're trying to get.
    i saw ur tummy pic from the side and thats what i look like now with out exercise.... i like my inspiration pic because she has brought out her curves in the stomach... no offense but i LOVE my inspiration pic.. and her measurments are 32-24-34... its confusing when 50% are saying it works well and 50% are saying its trash.... im getting confused...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU LADIES WHO HAVE USED THE MACHINE AND LOVE IT!!! i am going to buy one now!!! and yes probably start working out with jillian michaels 4 times a week.. YAY im excited!!!!! i hope i lose inches! i dont really mind about the weight i just want to lose inches.... ok im going to buy one FOR SURE....

Seriously, must you waste your money? I used to love the elliptical. It would give me a high calorie burn, and my legs would be sore the next day. I was convinced I was getting an awesome workout. But my body didn't change much... My legs looked a bit nicer I guess, but it certainly didn't help my belly fat. You know what did? Doing compound movements with heavy weights three times a week, combined with a calorie deficit. I look better than your inspiration photo right now. So instead of picking and choosing the advice you want to hear, listen to people explaining the science behind getting the look you're trying to get.
    i saw ur tummy pic from the side and thats what i look like now with out exercise.... i like my inspiration pic because she has brought out her curves in the stomach... no offense but i LOVE my inspiration pic.. and her measurments are 32-24-34... its confusing when 50% are saying it works well and 50% are saying its trash.... im getting confused...

go back and re-read my reply. get unconfused. it's not rocket science.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It increases your heart rate therefore its considered cardio.
    you can vamp up the incline and resistance to help with toning and losing weight.
    I lost weight years ago on just an elliptical alone using intervals and it worked just fine. It also helped me maintain my weight or close to it during my last pregnancy.
    Use it vigorously and youll see results.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by her elliptical machine, I am more of a runner myself but do use one when my shins need a break. She lost quite a bit of weight while using one but she also switched her diet and weight trained. She strictly used it as her form of cardio. So if you decide to buy one look at the pros, easy on your joints, keeps you inside when weather is harsh, does improve your cardio, burns calories. Cons takes up a lot of space, may not be as hard of a cardion workout than other options.
    I think if you got one and combined it with strength/resistance training as well as a healthy diet you can reach your goals
    ok thanks :) yes i am JUST lokin for a cardio machine and ill fill in the rest with working out to jillian
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to a gym, all I did was eliptical and lost 20lbs....I now incorporate wights, running and classes to break up the boredom...good luck!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

The people who are saying it's trash are saying that, by in large, because it's not the most effective/efficient way to a lower body fat %, which is basically what "toning" up means.

So you can do what you want, or you can do what will be most effective. Does that mean the eliptical won't work? No, not necessarily. It may work, it may not. But in most cases, it won't work as well as strength training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit.
    Elliptical is an exercise machine. It provides you a cardio workout.
    Cardio is good for your heart.
    Toning up is a vague term that generally mean "reducing body fat"
    To reduce body fat, you have to maintain lean body mass, or minimize how much is lost
    Strength training and a good diet (good macros) is the best way to maintain lean body mass.

Clear as mud?

This^^^^ 1,000 times over, This^^^^

I do cardio (some of which is on the elliptical) exclusively for heart health...30 minutes, 3 times per week. I lift 3x per week to tone/build (they're actually the same thing). If you're building, you are toning...if you are toning, you are building. The only way to build/tone is with resistance training. Will you get some benefits in this RE with an elliptical...yes, but very little and it will be pretty isolated....it's really not going to do anything much for your core which is essential for an awesome waist line. I don't know of a single soul who's ever gotten the body composition they've truly wanted through cardio alone, regardless of what machine or method they use...you have to lift.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    When my fiance gets his tax refund, we're getting an elliptical off of amazon. I don't like to run and I've never used an elliptical, so it might be just what I'm looking for. It's only 60 bucks, plus 44 for shipping so I'd say it's a good price! If we don't like it, we can always send it back.

If you want an elliptical, go for it. There's no harm in trying something new.

I agree with the folks who say that cheap gym equipment is not worth it. So unless you're getting a amazing deal...
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    OK THAN WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE MACHINE THAT I CAN USE? :) to help me lower body fat %???
  • MrsJonSamuels
    MrsJonSamuels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical, and I see an over all difference. I see it in my legs, thighs, stomach and back. I use my arms alot when I'm on it.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    toning up = losing body fat to expose muscle that was covered up by fat
    losing fat = losing weight while retaining muscle
    losing weight = calorie deficit
    retaining muscle = heavy lifting + sufficient protein intake.

So if a = b = c...

toning up = a calorie deficit + heavy lifting + sufficient protein intake.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    OK THAN WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE MACHINE THAT I CAN USE? :) to help me lower body fat %???

HEAVY WEIGHTS. listen to people. Stop waiting to hear what you want to hear and start hearing what people are saying.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

That pic's old, pre-weights, and 2 inches larger in the waist than I am now. If you really want to see your body change, buy a weights set or follow a resistance training DVD workout. Cardio is important and you should do it, but spending $250 on an elliptical that will probably break in a month or two is probably not your best option considering where you are and how much you have to lose. Most of the people posting how much they love them have lost a considerable amount of weight, which is what those machines are designed to do best.