do ellipitical machines help tone and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• jedikrissy
    jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Spend $250 on sessions with a personal trainer, home elliptical's are nonsense.

I just have to say they are not nonsense!!!!! I have one and I used it 5 times a week and did yoga and what do you know, 50lbs of fat melted off me in a little less than 8 months!!! If you only have 10lbs to lose you will do it in no time. Also they are just a great way to stay active at home and stay in shape!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I despise the eliptical but I do it anyway because I know it's good cardio and works my butt :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    OK THAN WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE MACHINE THAT I CAN USE? :) to help me lower body fat %???

I am sorry I wasted any time replying in this thread. :ohwell:
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    OK THAN WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE MACHINE THAT I CAN USE? :) to help me lower body fat %???

HEAVY WEIGHTS. listen to people. Stop waiting to hear what you want to hear and start hearing what people are saying.
    so if i JUST do weights and no cardio..... ill lose the most fat?.....
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I read that if you use the elliptical without holding onto the machine, and you try to balance on your own, and you go as fast as possible, it works out your abs.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    i dont want to join a gym because i know for a fact i wont be motavated to get ready and drive in the cold to go down there and then get embarrassed if im not doing the exercises right....

also if i got a personal trainer its 150 for ONLY 3 SESSIONS no.... and its 35 dollars a month and 80 to start HELLLLL NO lol. way to expensive... i dont care if its not the same as running. i hate running lol...

and the planet fitness in my state are like more than 30 minutes away..... i really want to find a machine that i will enjoy... so thats what i was asking... ahh now im starting to get discouraged.........

ill keep my calories at 1200 a day... and ill start working out with a exercise program 4 times a week.. with ellipitical.. will this work

If you stick to 1200 calories, work out on the elliptical for 60 minutes 5 to 6 times a week (starting with 4 is good), you should see results. Monitor your heart rate. If your machine doesn't have sensors, buy a heart rate monitor. Do not fool yourself about how hard you're working. Also do some resistance training with dumbbells.

For me, the worst part of machines like ellipticals and treadmills is the boredom. I have a playlist, and yesterday, while still rehabilitating on a walking treadmill, I watched a TV show on my cell phone. That helped pass the time. But if I'm to push myself, I must have pounding music.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

HEAVY WEIGHTS. listen to people. Stop waiting to hear what you want to hear and start hearing what people are saying.
    Assuming a reasonable calorie deficit, sufficient protein and heavy enough lifting, yes. if you insist on doing cardio, do HIIT.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    1- They work out your whole body since you're moving your arms and legs and your torso is slightly twisting back and forth.

2- Theoretically you burn calories doing this, but you only lose weight by eating a calorie deficit. I would imagine you could only "tone up" if you have the resistence setting on really high.

3- Personally, I haven't seen any results using them and I've wasted years doing this. The only results I see on me is when I lift heavy weights. If you want to lower your body fat % I would recommend lifting over cardio any day.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    i dont want to join a gym because i know for a fact i wont be motavated to get ready and drive in the cold to go down there and then get embarrassed if im not doing the exercises right....

also if i got a personal trainer its 150 for ONLY 3 SESSIONS no.... and its 35 dollars a month and 80 to start HELLLLL NO lol. way to expensive... i dont care if its not the same as running. i hate running lol...

and the planet fitness in my state are like more than 30 minutes away..... i really want to find a machine that i will enjoy... so thats what i was asking... ahh now im starting to get discouraged.........

ill keep my calories at 1200 a day... and ill start working out with a exercise program 4 times a week.. with ellipitical.. will this work

If you stick to 1200 calories, work out on the elliptical for 60 minutes 5 to 6 times a week (starting with 4 is good), you should see results. Monitor your heart rate. If your machine doesn't have sensors, buy a heart rate monitor. Do not fool yourself about how hard you're working. Also do some resistance training with dumbbells.

For me, the worst part of machines like ellipticals and treadmills is the boredom. I have a playlist, and yesterday, while still rehabilitating on a walking treadmill, I watched a TV show on my cell phone. That helped pass the time. But if I'm to push myself, I must have pounding music.

ok ill get some weights and an ellipitical... :) ill put it in front of the tv....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

No, cardio helps, too. Still, the best way to lose fat is to create a calorie deficit with the right, healthy diet.

Ab exercises will make you abs strong and are good for your back (they provide support), but they won't be evident if you have a lot of excess fat in your gut.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

squat rack..

for real. i've lost 5 pant sizes and around 8% body fat primarily from eating at a small deficit and lifting heavy
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    1- They work out your whole body since you're moving your arms and legs and your torso is slightly twisting back and forth.

2- Theoretically you burn calories doing this, but you only lose weight by eating a calorie deficit. I would imagine you could only "tone up" if you have the resistence setting on really high.

3- Personally, I haven't seen any results using them and I've wasted years doing this. The only results I see on me is when I lift heavy weights. If you want to lower your body fat % I would recommend lifting over cardio any day.
    hmm ok ok..... thanks
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of elliptical and have lost over 50 pounds. My legs do look great, but I've lost weight too. Honestly, I haven't lost enough weight to tell you how the midsection looks from it, but mine is definitely stronger. I don't just do the elliptical though. I do lots of different things. I think you really have to change it up for the best results.

Edit: I hadn't done any lifting until last week. So, you can definitely lose weight and tone up without it, but a variety of things will help you the most. Cardio is good for your heart, stamina and toning as well as weight loss. Lifting is good for weight loss, toning and general body composition. Both are great for confidence! Why do one when you can do both?
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Spend $250 on sessions with a personal trainer, home ellipticals are nonsense.

Yeah, I'd have to disagree.

- the girl who has lost 46 pounds using hers :laugh:
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    lost 24 kg's in 28 weeks using elliptical................:smile::wink: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :love: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :smokin: :smooched: :drinker: :bigsmile: :blushing:

I am not an expert. I don't spend any $ on exercise equipment or gym. I have a mix of workout videos which I use alternately. Most of my videos include strength training and cardio exercises. For me, this works better. I am never bored and not relying on equipment in a gym to get me in shape. :wink:
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Also, I want to echo the comments about weight loss being a calorie deficit. What goes in is important too, not just what goes out. You're on MFP, so I'm guessing you know that, but I just wanted to make sure :smile:
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU LADIES WHO HAVE USED THE MACHINE AND LOVE IT!!! i am going to buy one now!!! and yes probably start working out with jillian michaels 4 times a week.. YAY im excited!!!!! i hope i lose inches! i dont really mind about the weight i just want to lose inches.... ok im going to buy one FOR SURE....

I would go to a fitness store and try out several before making a purchase decision. When I got mine I did this and several of them just didn't seem to "fit" me or they were wobbly or noisey. I ended up with a Gold's model and have been very happy with its performance. I have had it a couple years now. I hate the machine and call it the machine from Hell but it sure puts a sweat on me top to bottom. I do use the arms a lot and am working up to the circuits it offers. I only use it 2x a week. I bowflex 2x and walk everyday.
  • Ibipo
    Ibipo Posts: 3
    Options
    I have one, and found it very useful. I assume that I could loose some weight while using it as it is very easy to get into a routine.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hmm, to a degree.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

picard-facepalm2.jpg

do we not listen...