Not Hungry?

Options
Hey everyone. What do you do when you have no appetite? I found out some bad news last night and I literally have no appetite. Typically, I would be a stress-binge eater... But now, nothing is appealing to me. I've been trying to figure out what I can have for lunch, but I just don't want anything. Do you just make yourself eat something? Or just go with it. The same thing happened last night and I was under by like 850 calories or something. (Some were exercise calories)... Any advice??? And thanks for all of the support, you guys!

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    I would suggest eating some lighter foods such as rice cakes and a protein shake. Also not eating will lead to binge eating.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Try something high in calories.
    Avacados
    Nuts
    Something you can eat a small amount and get some calories in
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Try something high in calories.
    Avacados
    Nuts
    Something you can eat a small amount and get some calories in

This! Peanut butter is 190 calories for two tablespoons! Easy way to get in calories without feeling like you're eating a ton.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    make smoothies and sip on them
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it's only occasional, then it's no big deal. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to happen regularly, like a couple times a week or more. Then absolutely make yourself eat something. Your body needs its nutrients.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. What do you do when you have no appetite? I found out some bad news last night and I literally have no appetite. Typically, I would be a stress-binge eater... But now, nothing is appealing to me. I've been trying to figure out what I can have for lunch, but I just don't want anything. Do you just make yourself eat something? Or just go with it. The same thing happened last night and I was under by like 850 calories or something. (Some were exercise calories)... Any advice??? And thanks for all of the support, you guys!

Have a smoothie or homemade soup to keep your fluids up and a small amount of calories going in, don't formally exercise just maybe get a walk, some daylight and fresh air.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Missing your goals for a day or two is not determential.. but to avoid the super hungry binge eating later I eat some nuts or peanut butter or strawberries or something. I'm not hungry very often and I always try to eat something like what Ilisted above anyway.. Don't force it, but don't ignore it either.

Yesterday I exercised like crazy (cause it felt amazing) I wasn't hungry.. I barely broke 1000 calories. I ate all day long. Some days you just miss. Just make sure it's not everyday and you'll be fine.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some bad news. :flowerforyou:

In response to your question, another question could be 'how can I deal with my feelings in a healthy way'? I'd say have a think about what you've done in response to your upsetting news and if there's anything else you can do to express your feelings and soothe yourself.

I've got no idea about what would work for you, but personally, I'm prone to suppressing my feelings and not reaching out to loved ones for support - so admitting the truth of my feelings and reaching out would be top of my list. In terms of other soothing things, there's the usual hot bath, patting a pet, gentle walk outside somewhere pretty, yoga, a small treat, a nice movie, uplifting music or whatever.

Practically, you can tone down your workouts while you're not feeling hungry and try drinking things like shakes, smoothies, thin soups. Juice would just give you a sugar high and then slump, so that's probably not the best idea.

Best of luck!
  • HalfLiz
    HalfLiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the short term (less than 4 or 5 days), I personally just listen to my body. The main reason I gained 35 pounds over 4 years was mindless eating, or eating just b/c it was a certain time. When I honor my body, I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I feel satisfied and don't eat when I don't feel like it. If your energy feels low, grab a a health shake, or a small portion of some comfort food. If you feel fine, just allow your body to react to your news (hope things are better soon for you!), drink fluids, and return to your normal eating patterns when you're ready.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can not eat when I am upset either. Drink milk, orange juice, tomato juice to keep some calories/vitmins in your system.
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    One or two days isn't a big problem. Long term, though, you should eat.
  • SugarFemme24
    SugarFemme24 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you are really concerned, then drink some calories. Smoothies, fraps, etc.
  • AmmeJayne2
    Options
    i had this yesterday, was 3pm by the time i realised i had not had lunch so all i had was a meal replacement drink. it was nice filled me up as its like a milkshake. that is what i do if i can not eat or not hungry. nothing wrong with it cuz your are still having something :) x