reading nutrition facts correctly?

Options
I made Lipton Soup Secrets "noodle soup with real chicken broth" for lunch. When I went to add the soup to my food tracker it says "serving size 2 tbsp" I dont understand considering I didnt only have 2 tbsp of the soup...that wouldnt even fill me up a little bit lol... So my question is how in the world am I supose to estimate how many servings are in a bowl of this soup?

Replies

• joyosplash
    Options
    Do you still have the package? That will tell you how many servings are in a container and you can figure it out from there.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming they mean 2 tbsps of the mix, not 2 literal tablespoons because all you're adding is water.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp (16g)
    Servings Per Container 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 60
    Calories From Fat 10
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Cholesterol 5mg less than 5mg
    Sodium 700mg 29%
    Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 2g 0%
    Iron 2%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
    Enriched EggNoodles [Wheat Flour, Eggs, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Maltodextrin, Salt, Corn Syrup (Dried), Monosodium Glutamate, Chicken Fat, Chicken Powder, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Starch, Yeast Extract, Parsley (Dried), Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Turmeric, Chicken Broth (Dried), Spice, Natural Flavors.

There are 2 packets and each one needs....2 cups of water right? So....60 cals per half cup.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the whole package? If so you ate 8 servings. If you ate half, you ate 4 servings. I'm not sure how much water you add, but their website says each package has 8 servings which seems like each serving would be really small. Be careful of stuff like this, lots of manufacturer's do it to make the food seem better than it is.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Did you use the whole package? How many servings is in the package? Use that as your key. If it is 4 servings, and you ate what seems like half the soup, then you had 2 servings.
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    ok so I added 4 cups of water and 1 whole package. I only ate half so , 2 cups of it so would that suggest I had 4 servings? dang I hope not lol
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    I eat a lot of this - if you had 2 cups of prepared soup, you had 2 servings. 1 box = 2 packets, each packet = 4 servings
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 2 Tbsp (16g)
    Servings Per Container 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 60
    Calories From Fat 10
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1g 2%
    Cholesterol 5mg less than 5mg
    Sodium 700mg 29%
    Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Protein 2g 0%
    Iron 2%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
    Enriched EggNoodles [Wheat Flour, Eggs, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1),Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Folic Acid], Maltodextrin, Salt, Corn Syrup (Dried), Monosodium Glutamate, Chicken Fat, Chicken Powder, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Starch, Yeast Extract, Parsley (Dried), Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Turmeric, Chicken Broth (Dried), Spice, Natural Flavors.

There are 2 packets and each one needs....2 cups of water right? So....60 cals per half cup.

This -- Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil -- is likely why they have the serving size so low. So they can list 0 trans fat per serving.
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    I eat a lot of this - if you had 2 cups of prepared soup, you had 2 servings. 1 box = 2 packets, each packet = 4 servings

Ok thanks ;o)
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    Thank you everyone ;o)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It's tough when those serving sizes are set up to intentionally drive you nuts. I usually try to only buy stuff that's easier to read. I know Amy's makes really good soups and usually they are one serving per can. Basically, the stuff where you have to mix this with that is intentionally trying to make you feel like you're eating less.