Any diabetic women? I'm starting to wonder If I'm one

Options
Hello!

So I like many internet users have hit the internet to self diagnose -- don't worry, I'm going to the doctor on Friday.

i'm starting to wonder if I'm diabetic. Currently I weigh 184 and I'm 5'5. Since October I have experienced VERY frequent urination -- like literally every hour at least, I have to wake up 2-3 times a night. If I haven't eaten, my vision gets blurry and my head hurts. I have these bruises on my waist. Oh, I'm also constipated especially when eating starch or bread products AND I haven't gotten my period since December, granted, I stopped talking BC pills back in May and had to take a Plan B in early October so my body has been out of wack in that department for quite some time. When I went to the OBGYN, he told me my urinalysis came up negative.

Does this sound like anything you went through?

Replies

• minibee12
    Options
    bump :/
  • joyosplash
    Options
    Well, there is something going on. See your doctor Friday, they'll probably run some blood work and can get you answers. Fingers crossed it's easily fixed! Good luck.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Stacy, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August of 2006. I have never really been overweight. I am about 5'4 & weigh approximately 145lbs when not pregnant. I was drinking lots of water but it was the hottest part of the summer & I work as a health care aide so quite physical work so thought nothing of it. I would in turn pee lots. I finally went to the doctor when I said something within ear shot of my sis-in-law about not being able to see very well when driving home & the license plates would be blurry when the cars were close enough they should have been clear. The doctor said that it was either blood sugar or I was pregnant, I went to the walk-in & they did all the necessary tests & when I went back the test came back saying I had diabetes. I was hospitalized for a week while they balanced out my blood sugars & food intake. I test now at least five time a day, I inject two kinds of insulin five times a day. I had some pretty drastic weight loss, in April of that year I was 160lbs. & by August I was 126 or so. It's not in my family at the time I only had two children who were each 6lbs when they were born, I was a fairly healthy eater. I am 24 weeks pregnant right now but have discussed with my dietician to see about getting the pertinent test done to see if it is really type 1 or 2 on some of the paper its one or the other. I am not sure what else to tell you, I'm sure there is way more information but just can't think. I am willing to answer any question, I am certainly no expert but just know what my experience has been like. Talk to you soon, I hope Stace
  • minibee12
    Options
    Hi my name is Stacy, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August of 2006. I have never really been overweight. I am about 5'4 & weigh approximately 145lbs when not pregnant. I was drinking lots of water but it was the hottest part of the summer & I work as a health care aide so quite physical work so thought nothing of it. I would in turn pee lots. I finally went to the doctor when I said something within ear shot of my sis-in-law about not being able to see very well when driving home & the license plates would be blurry when the cars were close enough they should have been clear. The doctor said that it was either blood sugar or I was pregnant, I went to the walk-in & they did all the necessary tests & when I went back the test came back saying I had diabetes. I was hospitalized for a week while they balanced out my blood sugars & food intake. I test now at least five time a day, I inject two kinds of insulin five times a day. I had some pretty drastic weight loss, in April of that year I was 160lbs. & by August I was 126 or so. It's not in my family at the time I only had two children who were each 6lbs when they were born, I was a fairly healthy eater. I am 24 weeks pregnant right now but have discussed with my dietician to see about getting the pertinent test done to see if it is really type 1 or 2 on some of the paper its one or the other. I am not sure what else to tell you, I'm sure there is way more information but just can't think. I am willing to answer any question, I am certainly no expert but just know what my experience has been like. Talk to you soon, I hope Stace

thanks for all this info!! I'm going to add you.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Minibee! I was diagnosed as diabetic (type 1) just over 2yrs ago now. I lost a lot of weight (about 2 stone) and thought it was because it was hot and I working overtime as a waitress. I've always drank a lot of water but I had an unquenchable thirst, drinking at least 5 litres of water a day. I had a regular appetite until about 2 weeks before I was diagnosed at which point I totally stopped eating, I could only manage mango smoothies!! I also had to go to the toilet loads, a out every half an hour (no joke) and was exhausted, needling about 12hrs sleep at least to function. I was hospitalised in intensive care because I was in a really bad way and a, now on 2 different types of insulin, which I take each time I eat and before bed. I'm now back to the same weight as I was before I was diagnosed hence why I'm now losing weight for summer and keeping it off this time. If you have questions etc then add me and hope everything is alright for you.