Cold is coming, should I exercise?

Options
Should I exercise with a sore throat if I know a cold is coming or bust through the cold. This is the exercise program I plan on starting today with my boyfriend. I am hoping to do it 5-6 days a week and taking Sunday off as our rest day.

With boyfriend:
Run 1 mile
15 X3 sets front dumbbell Lunges
15 X3 sets Side lunge with a front raise
15 X3 sets Squats with a shoulder press
15 X2 sets incline pushups
15 X3 sets crunches
15 X3 sets lower ab curls
15 X2 sets plank twists

By myself
15 X3 sets Hip raises (butt lift)
15 X2 sets superman
15 X3 sets face down hip external rotation

Replies

• kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH! DO IT! GET IT DONE!
  • fiona2785
    Options
    I currently have a cold and just finished level 1 of 30 DS - wasn't so bad! Push through!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally, I would not suggest working out while sick. The last thing you want to do is tear down muscle while your body is already in recovery mode. In fact, when I am sick, I take off and set my account to maintain. Your metabolic rate will increase, similar to exercise, in order to repair your body from the cold. So eating more has helped me recovery quickly. I know the few times I workout during sickness, my performance is crap and it takes longer for my body to recover. For me, it's an essential diet break.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would try to bust through the cold & exercise anyway sometimes working out even with a cold can make you feel better. If you are feeling crappy while working out you may need to take a few extra rest breaks depending how your breathing is but I would really try. Good luck.
    Stace
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    sweat it out!
  • suzannearaya1976
    suzannearaya1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always feel better during and after the workout when I'm sick with a cold. Hate getting into the workout, but then love that I was able to do it afterwards. I say work through it best you can, it may not be as good as your regular workout, but at least you did something! When I work out sick it even clears my sinuses. Def worth trying! If you have the Flu, that's a different story...
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think you have to decide which scenario will lend to you being more likely to continue exercising after your cold is gone. As in, if you are really tired and either can't finish the exercise because you are sick or it makes you feel really exhausted the rest of the day will that discourage you and you prevent you from exercising again? Or if you don't start now are you worried you'll lose momentum and not start after you are sick? As far as working out while sick, that doesn't really matter as much - what matters is your long term health. You will be more tired, you won't be able to do as much, I'd stay away from strengthening exercise and go more for cardio. You know your tendencies so pick which ever gives you the best chance of reaching your goals. :)
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest doing a hard core workout. Usually if I am not feeling well, I will do a light cardio just to get a sweat going to sweat out the bug. But you don't want to overdo it and make your body have to repair as well as fight off illness, it will only prolong the illness.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a cold at the moment (nothing too serious) and I am continuing to work out. As noted in the website that was shared by someone above, all my symptoms are above my neck.

If it gets worse, I guess I'll play it by ear. While I have no desire to push myself so hard I get sicker, I'm also a little worried about losing my momentum. I don't want to take a week off due to sickness and then never go back to it! :laugh:
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I was just starting to get sick, heck yes I would exercise. Anything to minimize the effects.

I go by the "sweat it out, spice it out, steam it out" philosophy. Basically, exercise, eat spicy food (curry), have a hot (steamy) shower or bath.
    Lather, rinse, repeat, until better.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    f the illness is in the throat and above - then go ahead and workout. If it is the chest or lower - take the time off until you are better.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I woke up today with a sore throat which almost always means a cold is starting for me. Both my kids are sick x a few days. I just finished my normal workout and feel better than ever.
  • jbowman9820
    jbowman9820 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweat it out for sure! :smile:
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As Nike would say.................JUST DO IT !!!
  • soni_me
    soni_me Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I worked out until I felt too bad to. Let your body rest and build up. Took off last week because I had cold. I just kept up my food logging. I started working out again after I started 2 feel better and was sure it wasnt a chest cold.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Do what your body tells you. If you are very ill, it doesn't make much sense to further challenge your body. But if you are only mildly ill (like the beginning stages of a cold) it can often be enough of an immune system stimulant that you can fight off the virus. One thing that is very important is to stay hydrated and well-nourished (as in eat good food and lay off the junk).
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yes, exercise. Drink plenty of fluids, and of course if you feel at any time like you may be getting dizzy then just stop and rest.
  • snrhea
    snrhea Posts: 8
    Options
    Prior to starting an exercise routine I would get a cold and it would last for atleast a week or longer. I go to the gym and do a minimum of cardio/light weights and within 2-3 days I feel normal. If you feel tired or just not into working out do a lighter routine. I find working out shortens the duration of colds for me.